[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts fans!

CaptainHook

All Polilan has done is frustrate his players and many of his fan base. This week, many radio callers to his show pointed out his flawed logic. Finally, Polian ended the show 10 minutes early with no explanation. There was dead air until the radio station put some commercials and music on for filler. Polian just quit. (However, they are now denying that he quit, but they needed to get some more commercials in.) The Colts President was so frustrated that he quit. The Colts team had an opportunity to embrace the challenge to be great, but their leadership made them quit against the Jets. Again, allowing a team to quit is a dangerous precedence to set.

Polian is stubborn and is sticking with his philosophy. Good for him. If that's what he believes, I respect that. I just think he should review how many times his football organizations have reached their ultimate goal, and then strongly reconsider.

:wacko:

According to Kent Sterling, the program director for 93 WIBC and 1070 The Fan, the explanation is that:

"When programming becomes really compelling, the host’s obligation is to continue despite the need to play commercials, and (host) Bob Lamey and Bill Polian did that admirably. The result was that there were six minutes of commercials to play during the final seven minutes of the show. Bill remained in the studio until the show went off the air, and Bob used the final minute to wrap up the show. What happened last night is business as usual in radio."

The Colts ran scared and that mentality will carry into the playoffs.

Just like when the Patriots cut Lawyer Milloy, a lockerroom favorite, right before the season. The media said the Patriots made a bad move and it would haunt the team all year. Right?

Or when Spygate broke, and the Patriots would never recover. Right?

Or when Manning and Wayne got into it on the sidelines a few years back, and people predicted their relationship was over? Right?

Or when the Patriots went for it on fourth and two, and people predicted that Belichik lost his defense? Right?

What a bunch of overreactions. I'm sure some of the Colts players wanted to go for it. But to act like they're all gonna quit, give up, lose momentum. Please.

Edited by CaptainHook

Just like when the Patriots cut Lawyer Milloy, a lockerroom favorite, right before the season. The media said the Patriots made a bad move and it would haunt the team all year. Right?

Or when Manning and Wayne got into it on the sidelines a few years back, and people predicted their relationship was over? Right?

Or when the Patriots went for it on fourth and two, and people predicted that Belichik lost his defense? Right?

What a bunch of overreactions. I'm sure some of the Colts players wanted to go for it. But to act like they're all gonna quit, give up, lose momentum. Please.

I seem to remember the Colts losing their first playoff game in 2005 to Pittsburgh after resting players at the end of the regular season. I believe the Colts went 13-0, lost to the Chargers, then went into hibernation mode. See, if there wasn't a precedent like that, maybe our reactions would be different. I'm sure you'll have plenty of reasons why this year's Colts team is so much different from the 2005 version.

And to speak to your point, I don't think we are expecting the Colts to quit or give up. They are losing momentum though. You can't argue that point. However, some people think momentum matters and some don't. I happen to think it does.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is too, Captain. $20 says the Colts don't make it to the Super Bowl. See, this is a win-win for me, because I think the Chargers are going to the SB. I loathe the Chargers, so I don't mind losing $20 if it means I won't have to endure watching Philip Rivers on SB Sunday.

I seem to remember the Colts losing their first playoff game in 2005 to Pittsburgh after resting players at the end of the regular season. I believe the Colts went 13-0, lost to the Chargers, then went into hibernation mode. See, if there wasn't a precedent like that, maybe our reactions would be different. I'm sure you'll have plenty of reasons why this year's Colts team is so much different from the 2005 version.

Yep. Big difference. The Colts actually tried to win that game against the Chargers. They got their butts kicked. Starting RT Ryan Lilja got hurt in the game as well. At that point, they are 13-1, and have nothing to play for. Then, Dungy's son committed suicide. The lost in week 16 to Seattle. But they beat Arizona in Week 17. No doubt, they came out flat in the Pittsburgh game. But they had several chances to win that game. The most notably being Bettis' fumble at the goal line. Or Vanderjagt's last kick as a Colt. But I agree with you, I don't think resting players helped them.

Fast forward one year to 2006. The Colts got steamrolled 44-17 in Jacksonville Week 14, giving up 375 yards rushing. They got beat in Houston in Week 16 allowing Ron Dayne to rush for 153 yards. They barely beat the Dolphins in Week 17. But they did play their starters. All except Bob Sanders. Expecting a one-and-done play-off, the Colts won 4 games in a row, including the Super Bowl.

Last year, 2008, they were the hottest team in football. Winners of nine straight heading into the play-offs. And they lost in the wild card round at San Diego.

So you have to understand why I'm not a big believer in momentum. Especially for the Colts.

As for your $20 offer, I personally do not think the Colts will make the Super Bowl. So it'd be dumb of me to bet that they will.

I think some of you are missing my point. Part of me disagrees with the Colts strategy here. Part of me understands it. I'm trying to explain the Colts stand on this. And I'm willing to reserve judgment until after the playoffs. I for one, hate the bye. The Colts have had it 3 times, and lost their first game.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think some of you are missing my point. Part of me disagrees with the Colts strategy here. Part of me understands it. I'm trying to explain the Colts stand on this. And I'm willing to reserve judgment until after the playoffs. I for one, hate the bye. The Colts have had it 3 times, and lost their first game.

It's cool we agree to disagree about momentum. But I'm not sure how there is such a big difference with the 2005 team. Sure, they tried to beat the Chargers and lost. But then they sleepwalked through the last couple weeks. That's the key. I'll give you Dungy's son commiting suicide as a difference. Certainly had to effect the locker room... But they are sleepwalking through the last two weeks of this season too. And the locker room doesn't seem happy with it. Again, they are treating weeks 16 and 17 like they are meaningless because their position as #1 seed is fixed. They were one and done using that strategy in 2005. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened this year.

One more thing... San Diego matches up well with Indy and seems to have their number, not to mention San Diego had their own nice bit of momentum going to end the 2008 season. The Colts were playing very well going into the wild card game last year. And I would speculate that they probably beat most other teams in that scenario. Just not the Chargers... Plus, it was an OT game, so it's not like the Colts got manhandled or anything...

"Please" is right. Sorry these analogies are as weak as your millionaire thing. I didn't hear anyone saying what you seem to think was a common perception re the above.

Re the Colts, DMD summed it up best, although others made some great points too. It isn't so much about momentum, but how this can impact the team psychologically, and I think that aspect of the sport is often under-appreciated. This is football and you play to win. It's kinda like throwing water on a bonfire that everyone was enjoying. You might not put it out, but you didn't exactly help the party any, and might have even (literally and figuratively) put a significant damper on it.

Re Polian, ref my post in the other Colts thread. As I said, he's a very good GM, yes, but also a butthead and hardly the "genius" people try to make him out to be.

Edited by BeeR

I didn't hear anyone saying what you seem to think was a common perception re the above.

:wacko: There was public and media uproar about all of the above incidents. Tom Jackson on ESPN said the "Patriots hate their coach" after the Milloy release. Doom and gloom were predicted by the media after all of the above things occurred. Sorry you didn't hear it, but it happened. :D

Oh - ESPN said it. That would explain why I didn't hear it and/or paid no attention. That hardly qualifies as a universal "uproar" though.

I meant someone worth paying attention to, like the fans or players or coaches or my dog. :wacko:

Oh - ESPN said it. That would explain why I didn't hear it and/or paid no attention. That hardly qualifies as a universal "uproar" though.

I meant someone worth paying attention to, like the fans or players or coaches or my dog. :wacko:

ESPN said it in that one instance. You'd have to have your head under a rock to not hear it in the others. Especially after Spygate and 4th and 2.

Edited by CaptainHook

I definitely value your dog's opinion over CaptainHook's or ESPN's.

heck, I'd even listen to your woman over them.

are you going to contribute anything to this thread other than slamming me? it seems to be your hobby lately. glad to know you care. it appears i've acquired a cyber-stalker.

Edited by CaptainHook