[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about the uncapped year

Seahawks21

Sorry, I can't find literature on this anywhere, hoping someone here can help. Since there will be no "cap hits" for cutting guys with money left on their contract, does this mean that teams can cut all their dead-weight if the NFL proceeds with no cap? For instance, the Seahwks owe Kerney like 25 million more. Branch 20ish, Cole 20ish. What would happen if they cut them next year? I'm thinking there have to be some kind of ramifications. Would they owe the money to a general fund? I know the player doesn't get to keep the money, but where does it then go? Without a cap, why would there be a need for a cap-hit? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

type in "rules for uncapped nfl season" on yahoo. Several (more than 10) articles appear. I would have posted the links, but no time. Headed to work. I would look on nfl.com, too they may have something. Maybe DMD and his staff could post something when they are alot less busy after the regular season is over. It will have some affect on fantasy with out a doubt.

Some news sites have said that any cap hit would be pushed to the next capped year (assuming they get one in place), but they didn't cite any language from the NFL confirming this. Teams might not dump salary if they'll have to take a big hit in 2011.

assuming we have football in 2011

type in "rules for uncapped nfl season" on yahoo. Several (more than 10) articles appear. I would have posted the links, but no time. Headed to work. I would look on nfl.com, too they may have something. Maybe DMD and his staff could post something when they are alot less busy after the regular season is over. It will have some affect on fantasy with out a doubt.

I did this and searched for a few hours. The new free agency rules for unrestricted free agents popped up for the first 100 or so links. I did read on a Jets message board I found that the cap hit would roll to the next capped season, but I was hoping to find an actual release stating as such. I guess beyond next year we will have to wait to see what happens. I mean, if there is never a cap again, I wonder what would happen. Would it be like baseball where the player actually gets paid by his former team? I guess it is possible that there really no answers in place at this point. Anarchy, bring it on!

Is it safe to assume that teams like the Cowboys and Redskins and the like are going to go crazy in free-agency? The local buzz here in Seattle is that we probably have the richest owner in the NFL, so by that logic we are going to spend the most money. According to fans here, the Seahawks are going to go after Marshall, V. Jax, Wilfork, Dumervil, J. Evans, Peppers, etc. ALL OF THEM. Does anybody have a feel for this?

In my opinion, the Seahawks are old and vastly overpaid. I mean, they have some bad, BAD contracts on the books for the next several years. Throwing lots of more money at the problem just doesn't seem like the right way to fix it for me.

With an uncapped year in 2010 and the Super Bowl in Dallas at the end of the year, expect Jerry Jones to buy EVERYONE.

This is exactly right. This is why Jones built his gigantic gin palace. Putting as much as you can afford on Dallas right now might be a decent investment.

OTOH, I read somewhere that the upcoming FA class is about as weak as it's ever been. Still, Dallas doesn't need too many new pieces and money won't be any object for the few stars.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Is it safe to assume that teams like the Cowboys and Redskins and the like are going to go crazy in free-agency? The local buzz here in Seattle is that we probably have the richest owner in the NFL, so by that logic we are going to spend the most money. According to fans here, the Seahawks are going to go after Marshall, V. Jax, Wilfork, Dumervil, J. Evans, Peppers, etc. ALL OF THEM. Does anybody have a feel for this?

In my opinion, the Seahawks are old and vastly overpaid. I mean, they have some bad, BAD contracts on the books for the next several years. Throwing lots of more money at the problem just doesn't seem like the right way to fix it for me.

The richest baseball owner by some distance was Carl Pohlad, owner of the Twins. That should tell you how meaningful the wealth of an owner is versus his willingness to spend.

The richest baseball owner by some distance was Carl Pohlad, owner of the Twins. That should tell you how meaningful the wealth of an owner is versus his willingness to spend.

What kind of guy is Pohlad? Meaning, how badly does he want to see the Twins win?

What kind of guy is Pohlad? Meaning, how badly does he want to see the Twins win?

He's dead. :wacko:

Seriously, though, he did bring the only two sports championships to Minnesota (apart from the original Lakers). His sons are committed, especially Jim, but they are going to run the Twins as a separate business entity from the rest of their colossal empire so they aren't going to spend way ahead of what they think revenue is going to be. In other words, they won't subsidize the team to any great extent from their other businesses.

The Twins are in a new stadium this year and payroll will be up to maybe $90m. The Midwest Yankees we are not going to be.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

This is exactly right. This is why Jones built his gigantic gin palace. Putting as much as you can afford on Dallas right now might be a decent investment.

OTOH, I read somewhere that the upcoming FA class is about as weak as it's ever been. Still, Dallas doesn't need too many new pieces and money won't be any object for the few stars.

So he can cut Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton and sign V-jax and Marshall? Kewl...

A couple of things I think are true:

* Anyone with less than 6yrs of service is a restricted FA (current limit is 4 or 5 yrs, don't remember).

* Each team gets one more franchise tag and one more transition tag (iirc).

The combination of these two things will (effectively) take more than 200 guys who'd otherwise be FAs off the market; the only way they'd get to a new team is via a trade (per Sirius NFL conversation I heard today).

I expect teams with future draft picks (i.e., the draft picks that are to be used once a rookie wage scale is in place) to use them to get players rather than be in a position to go gonzo for all the players they'd ever want to have. FWIW.

I do not expect to see any team attempt to build a "fantasy NFL team".

Edited by muck