[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Welker Hurt Knee

Kansas State 2000

Kinda seems like there's not an ABSOLUTE right way to look at this?

Playing to get/keep momentum is not a stupid idea, but you add to risk of injury (which happens in this game)

Sitting to lessen risk of injury is also not a stupid idea, but you risk going into playoffs with no momentum, which also can affect your chances (hard to quantify this one thought)

I'll say this - I'd rather take my chances in the playoff games w/ healthier players.

Kinda seems like there's not an ABSOLUTE right way to look at this?

Playing to get/keep momentum is not a stupid idea, but you add to risk of injury (which happens in this game)

Sitting to lessen risk of injury is also not a stupid idea, but you risk going into playoffs with no momentum, which also can affect your chances (hard to quantify this one thought)

I'll say this - I'd rather take my chances in the playoff games w/ healthier players.

I completely agree. Resting players may help one team, and not another. It may work for one team one year, and not the next. You gotta trust the coaches to do the right thing. We'll see what happens in the play-offs. If the Colts lose game one . . . I will be steamed.

Edited by CaptainHook

You can't have zero live game action for a month, and not come out rusty. So they have to play some.

Surely playing LESS plays reduces the chance of injury.

And Manning's passes today were almost all quick dump-offs and screens.

Point #1 - You betcha, that's why you play. Playing a tiny bit, and modifying the offense while doing it isn't enough, IMO.

Point #2 - Maybe by a very small amount it reduces the chance, but injuries happen anytime and sitting for a quarter doesn't affect your odds of getting injured much.

Point #3 - Welker was not touched on the play he blew out his knee, so I believe Manning throwing dump offs had little or no effect on his odds of getting injured. An o-lineman can roll up your leg on a screen pass, too. Dump passes or not, the only "safe" thing to do is bench your starters completely once you have nothing left to clinch. This would be crazy of course, so the argument becomes "when do you bench them?" and history says you're better off not doing it unless that individual game is well out of hand. For example, I think the Cowboys should have pulled Romo today once the game was well in hand.

All this is just my opinion, of course, but it did really bug me how smug the Colts coach and Polian were about the whole thing. They really had this "how dare you even question this decision" attitude going after they tanked last week. The questions and criticism will get a lot louder if the Colts get bounced in their first game.

An awful lot of teams sat/pulled starters today, including Brees (to protect his completion % record).

I'm beginning to see there are a lot of guys just taking shots at the Colts, just because it's the first time they could. The same people would probably be saying how stupid the Colts were if one of their important regulars got hurt. It's playoff time. Time to move on.

An awful lot of teams sat/pulled starters today, including Brees (to protect his completion % record).

I'm beginning to see there are a lot of guys just taking shots at the Colts, just because it's the first time they could. The same people would probably be saying how stupid the Colts were if one of their important regulars got hurt. It's playoff time. Time to move on.

Again, Brees sat the WHOLE GAME. At least you can defend that decision easier.

And don't try that "you'd all the first ones criticizing them if someone got hurt" crap. You're better than that, Hook, you're a smart dude.

I was just saying it was kinda shady to sit to protect a record.

Several other teams pulled starters. Brady got pulled. Twice. Arizona pulled starters. So did San Diego.

And you can't tell me you don't think Colts would have been equally criticized if someone got hurt. Colts fans would have had a fit.

Edited by CaptainHook

O r if they went full steam ahead for 16-0 and then lost in the playoffs...

Damned if you do, damned if you doo-doo.

yup. Really, this issue is settled by how well the Colts do in the playoffs. Untill then, it's just noise.

I was just saying it was kinda shady to sit to protect a record.

Several other teams pulled starters. Brady got pulled. Twice. Arizona pulled starters. So did San Diego.

And you can't tell me you don't think Colts would have been equally criticized if someone got hurt. Colts fans would have had a fit.

I completely agree with you.

Look what the Pats did today. They pulled Brady at one point, then put him back in, then pulled him again at the end of the game when they still had a chance to win. I don't see anything wrong with that at all, but the Colts took a lot of criticism for their approach which wasn't any more or less noble. If they weren't undefeated, i doubt there would have been nearly as much criticism. i guess people were offended that they didn't go for the undefeated season.

Brady gets pulled before final drive that could have forced OT, allowing Houston to keep it's playoff chances alive. Where is all the consternation about that? They didn't try to win the game. It's not FAIR!

We've all been bashing Video Boy and the Pats so long it's gotten boring, I guess.

You can't have zero live game action for a month, and not come out rusty. So they have to play some.

Surely playing LESS plays reduces the chance of injury.

How much "less" would you have played Welker? He got hurt on what, the 4th or 5th play.

Freak injury. Exact same thing happened to me and the ACL I had in my right knee back in 95. (Damn. I sound like a fogey, and I'm only 36.) No contact, simply changing directions, and "kablooey".

Remember: it's a 2 year injury. Yeah, he'll play next year, but will NOT be the same for at least one more year after that. Unless he is an exception to the rule.