[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Question of Etiquette

Dr.Premium

Here's the situation:

It was Week 16 and I'm in the finals going against a guy who has Pittsburgh D (vs. Baltimore).

Waivers go through on Wednesday. I didn't want him to improve his defense/special teams position, so I submit a claim for ATL (vs. BUF), DAL (@ WAS), and INDY (vs. NYJ).

My opponent had priority over me but neglected to submit any waiver claims - so I get all of them, and afterward there really was nothing desirable left in the waiver pool for him to pick up.

He ribbed me for it during the week, but now is fuming about it after I won the league (by a large margin, so none of the defense replacements would have mattered anyway). He is claiming that what I did was underhanded and downright ungentlemanly, and that he didn't use his waiver priority to pick up a D because he didn't think I would 'lock' him out of all the desirable defenses.

We are friends that go back a long ways so I don't want him to think of me this way, but I definitely don't think I did anything wrong. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I think while your move was acceptable it was a little cutthroat. I think it's kind of a gray area. I'm in a few leagues. In my league that i've been in for years, this move would be expected. However, i'm in other leagues that i recently joined, one with work and one with some other people i don't know that well, in which i probably wouldn't do this b/c that's not really the vibe of the league. However, i think him being this upset is a bit of an overreaction.

I think while your move was acceptable it was a little cutthroat. I think it's kind of a gray area. I'm in a few leagues. In my league that i've been in for years, this move would be expected. However, i'm in other leagues that i recently joined, one with work and one with some other people i don't know that well, in which i probably wouldn't do this b/c that's not really the vibe of the league. However, i think him being this upset is a bit of an overreaction.

I think what you did was fine.....In one of my local leagues we did change the rules a couple of years ago to when we pick up someone it cost us 8 points for the pick up....this seems to slow down moves like this, but use the rules in your league to your advantage.....

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I mean, I didn't see how it was any different than snagging a backup RB when a starter goes down, even though you may be stacked at RB and have no intention of using him...

If you don't use the asset, it will be used against you. In any case, that's what waivers are for...

Here's the situation:

It was Week 16 and I'm in the finals going against a guy who has Pittsburgh D (vs. Baltimore).

Waivers go through on Wednesday. I didn't want him to improve his defense/special teams position, so I submit a claim for ATL (vs. BUF), DAL (@ WAS), and INDY (vs. NYJ).

My opponent had priority over me but neglected to submit any waiver claims - so I get all of them, and afterward there really was nothing desirable left in the waiver pool for him to pick up.

He ribbed me for it during the week, but now is fuming about it after I won the league (by a large margin, so none of the defense replacements would have mattered anyway). He is claiming that what I did was underhanded and downright ungentlemanly, and that he didn't use his waiver priority to pick up a D because he didn't think I would 'lock' him out of all the desirable defenses.

We are friends that go back a long ways so I don't want him to think of me this way, but I definitely don't think I did anything wrong. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

No, you did not do anything wrong. He should have submitted a waivers claim if he had really wanted one of them.

Even if he would have started one of those team def's that you grabbed, he still would have lost, right? Does he get that?

Edited by Wolverines Fan

A few years back, we had an owner pick up and drop every kicker available except for Remy Hamilton (backup kicker for the Rams) early one Sunday AM. His opponent had a cut his kicker earlier in the week as he was on a bye but neglected to pick one up all week - guess he thought he would grab one on Sunday right before kickoff. When he went to pick up a kicker, all that was left was Remy Martin - literally, his opponent picked up and dropped like 20+ kickers that morning. Now THAT is shady.

Your opponent should have been more prepared for the championship game. I stashed the 49ers DST for five weeks in anticipation of the Week 16 Super Bowl knowing they played the Lions. If your opponent did not think it was important enough to put in a waiver claim the week of the championship, shame on him.

NFL teams do it all the time.
What team has picked up multiple other players with absolutely no intentions of playing them just so their opponent can't have them? I give you that teams will sometimes grab a player to get a little insider information and then soon drop them. But multiple players?

Permitted by the rules? Yes. Ethical? Probably, as you are just gaming the system. Would I do it? Not a chance.

I did the exact same thing vs. my championship opponent - only difference was that in my case, it was RBs. He had blown almost all his blind bidding allowance earlier in the year and I still had quite a bit left, so I bid a couple dollars more than he could on all the guys I knew he would've wanted and I got them all.

I did it for the sole purpose of him not having the chance to grab someone that could hurt me in our SB. In my case it was Michael Bush, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Maurice Morris.

I see nothing wrong with it. Ya - a little cutthroat, but sometimes ya gotta be. I saw an opportunity so I took it.

A few years back, we had an owner pick up and drop every kicker available except for Remy Hamilton (backup kicker for the Rams) early one Sunday AM.

This is wrong to me, in that my opinion is that a player that is picked up should have to remain rostered until the following week. Now, if rules don;t state that, than there was nothing technically wrong with the pick up and drops, but I still would have issue with it.

Underhanded? No.

Ungentlemanly? Yes.

I think that its a bush league move.

Disagree that it is bush league. So long as he rostered the players, unlike the owner in SpinalTapps post, then there is nothing wrong with it and it is what I would expect and hope for out of a competitive owner.

What team has picked up multiple other players with absolutely no intentions of playing them just so their opponent can't have them? I give you that teams will sometimes grab a player to get a little insider information and then soon drop them. But multiple players?

Permitted by the rules? Yes. Ethical? Probably, as you are just gaming the system. Would I do it? Not a chance.

From a FF perspective, points on my bench are points not in my opponents lineup, so from a strategic perspective, it is foolhearty to not stock up as many players as possible that may help my opponent out against me.

you played to win ...and he should have done the same

That being said since you are friends that go back try and explain to him that result would have been no different since you won by a big margin and that you would not be upset if he did same move to you ( since i have to assume you would not be upset by it )

I can't think of anything lamer in fantasy football than stockpiling placekickers to deprive another owner of a placekicker.

I can't imagine anyone in any of the leagues that I am in pulling such a stunt.

I guess that I don't play in any competitive leagues.

This is wrong to me, in that my opinion is that a player that is picked up should have to remain rostered until the following week. Now, if rules don;t state that, than there was nothing technically wrong with the pick up and drops, but I still would have issue with it.

Big -

Many Huddlers may not agree with our decision, but we actually voted (four committee representatives and the Commissioner) to levy sanctions against this owner for his action. This owner had a long history of shady behavior and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't remember the exact sanctions, but I believe he was kept from making waiver moves or trades for a number of weeks. If this was a one off move by that owner, I doubt he would have been sanctioned.

He has not caused another problem since.

Edited by SpinalTapp

Underhanded? No.

Ungentlemanly? Yes.

I think that its a bush league move.

Nahhh.. Bush league is manipulative roster churn -- pick up DEF A, drop them for DEF B, drop them fo DEF C ... and in doing so, tieing up A and B in the waiver system. But picking players up and keeping them through that week? Not the slightest of problems.

since when is playing by the rules, 'ungentlemanly'? (what the hell kind of word is that!?)

pussification of the game.....

congratz on the victory!

hahahahah thanks!

yeah I collected my check today (he happened to be the commish too), and it was okay.

He said he didn't submit a waiver claim b/c he did not expect me to snatch up all the D's, to which I mentioned that the 3rd & 4th places were still battling it out, so it was extra stupid of him not to make a waiver claim... in the end I believe he made a mistake and overlooked his roster, then tried to take it out on me. I think it was a smart move and was def legit... in any case, i'd take 500 bucks over a gray question of 'honor' any day, haha.

+1

+ 1

If you can have as many players at a position, stack 'em.... Some pan out, some do not...

At the end of the day, friendship is a lot more important than winning fantasy football. I would find a way to make peace and if an apology is needed, be the better man and say your sorry...that you did what you felt was right within the rules of the game...

He sounds hurt...so address that and not whether or not you should have won....