[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bears fire oc turner

dmarc117

The article references a cold relationship between Jay Cutler and Ron Turner. I know all about Cutler showing up for college at Illinois, only to find out that coach Ron Turner had rescinded the offer. Of course, the two said all the right things about that being in the past. Did they continue to have a poor relationship this past season in Chicago?

Edited by electricrelish

Regardless of the issues that Cutler may have with being immature and arrogant, anyone with one eye open could see that he was at his best in Denver when he was given the latitude to move around, particularly rolling right out and making space. This really only showed up in the last two games of the year when it was too late. I don't understand why, having sold your soul for a franchise QB, you wouldn't play to his strengths instead of jamming him into a smaller box. Turner paid for this witlessness with his job.

Cutler needs to stop worrying about who is calling the plays and focus on making plays. The Bears traded away a lot for 26 INTs. Just goes to show that the QB (Orton) wasn't the problem. It's the line and lack of telent at the WR spot. Knox will be solid in another year or 2. Don't know if Hester will ever be a great WR, and Bennett.. I thought he was gonna excel this year but he let me down too.

Yeah the OL stunk this year. Yeah Cutler should buck up. Yeah Forte's decline was a factor.

But... watching Turner's offense is like watching paint dry. The defense, when healthy and playing well, and special teams (via Hester/Manning) have glossed over the inadequacies of the offense. Add the fact that quite a few integral skill position players on offense that left Chicago in recent years (Orton, TJones, Benson, Gage, Berrian) have had success elsewhere pretty easily makes the argument that Turner had to go.

ETA: The paint dry comment was flippant. But watch tape of Turner's offense. Defenders are constantly running receiver's routes for them. Any adjustments in the struggling run game were non-existent or ineffective.

Edited by kingfish247

Cutler needs to stop worrying about who is calling the plays and focus on making plays. The Bears traded away a lot for 26 INTs. Just goes to show that the QB (Orton) wasn't the problem. It's the line and lack of telent at the WR spot. Knox will be solid in another year or 2. Don't know if Hester will ever be a great WR, and Bennett.. I thought he was gonna excel this year but he let me down too.

Knox was selected with the 5th rounder that Denver sent with Cutler. So everyone who talks about "the Cutler Trade" needs to realize it's in fact the Cutler & Knox for two 1sts and a 3rd.

I agree with Ursa, if you sell the farm for a QB, why not use him to make the most of his talents? Cutler is much better when he is on the move. Becuase he can also run with the ball, that helps keep a defender in in case Cutler tucks and runs.

Turner seems to be one of those guys who doesn't adjust his game plans to take advantage of the player's talent sets, he tries to shove players into the offense that he wants to run. Cutler just isnt at his best as a pocket passer. He makes mistakes from the pocket. The guy is just more comfortable and a better QB when he has some space.

Arent they just promoting Rod Marinelli to def coordinator???

Philips said "We're hiring a NEW Defensive Coordinatior" (his words). I think they are leaving their options open and I'm sure Marinelli will be one of the interviewee's.

I listened to a good part of the news conference, and it was a pitiful dog and pony show. :bash::bash:

Funny thing, they say they want drastic changes on both sides of the ball, but they want to hire a defensive coordinator who will "embrace Lovie Smith's defensive philosophy." :wacko::D:D:D:D How is that changing anything?

Turner was the scapegoat as we all suspected.

Angelo has swung and missed on too many high draft picks. Most teams would have shoved him out the door by now.

The Bears say their decisions to keep Lovie and Jerry have nothing to do with money. :bash::pop:

What is the message here? They admit they are all at fault and the status quo is unacceptable. They throw out the offensive assistant coaches and call that drastic change.

And Ted Phillips said he conferred with Virginia Halas McCaskey and...drumroll please...Michael McCaskey about the major decisions. I knew it! That sniveling little s.o.b. is still helping call the shots! :D:bash:

With the exception of Al Davis and whoever owns the Lions, no owner in his/her right mind would continue to put up with this crap.

I'm adopting an AFC team. I've had enough.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Here is the list of Chicago's 2010 opponents. Anybody see a winning record here?

Home: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots, New York Jets

Away: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

I see 5-11 at best.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Here is the list of Chicago's 2010 opponents. Anybody see a winning record here?

Home: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots, New York Jets

Away: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins

I see 5-11 at best.

With the Lions still bad, a 4-2 or 3-3 division record is very doable.

They could probably beat Washington, Seattle, Giants, Panthers and Bills right now. Miami seems tough to pin down. I see Dallas, Philly, NE and the Jets as the easiest ones to peg as losses.

So no, 5-11is well below what they'll do.