[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cribbs doesn't think he will be back with the Browns

keggerz

As new team president Mike Holmgren takes over the Cleveland Browns this week, one of his first orders of business is getting off to a very rocky start.

Peter Schaffer, the agent for Pro Bowler Joshua Cribbs, says the Browns are "insulting" his client with low-ball offers. Cribbs made a base salary of $900,000 this past season, and Cleveland offered to raise his annual salary to $1.4 million over the final three years of his contract, Schaffer said.

Cribbs, who is Cleveland's most popular player, is coming off the most productive season of his career. He returned three kickoffs and one punt for touchdowns, rushed for 381 yards, and caught 20 receptions for the Browns (5-11), who finished the season on a four-game winning streak.

On Wednesday, Cribbs also was awarded Special Teams Player of the Month by the NFL.

"Not only is it insulting, but it's illogical," Schaffer said of Cleveland's offer. "There is no way to objectively justify it."

This has been an ongoing saga between Cribbs and the Browns.

Over the past three years, Schaffer said Cribbs was promised a fair deal by multiple power players in Cleveland, including owner Randy Lerner.

A regime change put an end to negotiations last season, but Schaffer said Holmgren taking over as president should not provide another holdup.

"It doesn't matter, because Josh is the same player whether the president is George W. Bush, Barack Obama, or John McCain," Schaffer said. "I'm not worried about that."

Holmgren met with the Cleveland media Tuesday and was asked about Cribbs' contract situation.

"We've been in contact with his representatives even when I was in Arizona," Holmgren said. "I believe players should be rewarded for what they do. I have no problems with that at all. What happens though on occasion is our view of how much that should be and the agent's view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort."

There is always potential to get better. But as it currently stands, Cribbs' camp feels the player did all he could this past season and that loyalty is not being returned.

Schaffer added there is no chance of Cribbs playing for the Browns under the current contract.

"They like to say Cribbs has three years left on the contract, but I can assure them they have no years left on the contract," Schaffer said sternly. "Either this gets resolved by the first day of the league year, or he will never show up for the Browns again and will immediately demand a trade.

"It's not what he wants. Josh wants to be a Brown for life, but love requires a two-way street."

from espn.com

He's got three year left on his contract. This wasn't his rookie contract. Too damn bad. Play or sit out.

no way I'd let a glorified kick returner set a precedent for renegotiating contracts. no way.

Edited by CaptainHook

The Jets offered almost twice as much to Washington, he turned that offer down too. Cribbs is good, but is he worth as much as Washington was before he got injured? Sounds like this one will be a long drawn out affair. Is it true he has 3 years left? What the heck is his agent talking about then?

Edited by Rovers

He has 3 years left on his contract he signed years ago if he doesn't want to take a pay raise when they don't have to do anything for him he can sit out the next 3 years for all I care. He should not have signed a 5-6 year contract years ago then.

Cribbs signs 6-year extension

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

Cribbs signs 6-year extension

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

In 17 months, Joshua Cribbs has gone from undrafted longshot to core player.

The Browns affirmed Cribbs' status -- and his importance -- by signing him to a six-year contract extension Friday that goes through the 2012 season.

Cribbs earned the extension with outstanding play on special teams and by showing steady improvement as a wide receiver. His 27.7-yard kickoff return average ranks third in the NFL, and he ranks second on the team with 9 special teams tackles.

Cribbs has five kickoff returns of 40 yards or more and has caught 9 passes for 81 yards through seven games.

"This is a dream come true for me," Cribbs said. "I want to thank Randy Lerner, Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel for giving me this opportunity. I love the city of Cleveland, our fans and I'm excited to have the longevity of being here for the future.

"It certainly feels good to be wanted, and now I'm motivated because I want to prove to this organization that they made the right decision."

The Browns had previously signed five players to long-term extensions since Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage came to the Browns in early 2005: Leigh Bodden, Andra Davis, Phil Dawson, Reuben Droughns and Orpheus Roye.

A college quarterback at nearby Kent State, Cribbs made the Browns' roster last season with his special teams play and went on to set a franchise record with 1,094 kickoff return yards, including his first career touchdown on a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown vs. Detroit on Oct. 23, 2005.

He finished his rookie year with 45 returns for 1,094 yards (24.3 avg.) and ranked second on the club with 19 special teams tackles.

I picked him up in my dynasty league towards the end of the year just see how this offseason pans out. At the very least, he should play a larger role in the Cleveland offense all next year. His total numbers say fantasy WR 5/6, but seems like an intriguing prospect to watch IMO.

Dear Ted Thompson,

Please trade for this guy. He's more then just a return man. He's the best return man on the planet.

He immediatley upgrades your special teams the second he puts on the uniform.

The Browns are crazy to not keep him happy.

Yeah . . . cause TT has such a solid track record of over-paying free agents. :wacko:

Yeah . . . cause TT has such a solid track record of over-paying free agents. :wacko:

Huh? Cribbs isn't a free agent, nor will lhe be any time soon. And at the time, 99% of the population thought Thompson over paid for Charles Woodson.

Cribbs is good enough to have changed the outcome of at least 1 game a year. That's huge. I guess people still think that special teams isn't that important.

Wide receiver Josh Cribbs has cleaned out his locker a day after his agent told ESPN.com the Cleveland Browns were "insulting" his client with low-ball offers.

Cribbs said it's "unlikely" that he'll play again for the Browns.

"I did all the playing I'm going to play on this contract," Cribbs said on Thursday. "I ain't doing nothing, I'm not showing my face until it's right."

Cribbs has three years remaining on a six-year $6.77 million deal. Cribbs made a base salary of $900,000 this past season. Cleveland offered to raise his annual salary to $1.4 million over the final three years of his contract, Cribbs' agent Peter Schaffer said.

Cribbs, who is Cleveland's most popular player, is coming off the most productive season of his career. He returned three kickoffs and one punt for touchdowns, rushed for 381 yards and had 20 receptions for the Browns (5-11), who finished the season on a four-game winning streak.

On Wednesday, Cribbs was awarded Special Teams Player of the Month by the NFL.

Cribbs expressed his disappointment on his Twitter feed on Thursday: "I'm sorry guys i don't want to seem greedy but fair is fair & there is no way around it, i'm the best at what I do but paid the lowest. Hmmm."

from espn.com

:wacko: