[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Mora Kicked to the Curb

bushwacked

Um, no. Try again.

Sorry, read it wrong. 1 win, 3 games. Which is the exact same number of victories Notre Dame managed against Pete Carroll during his tenure at SC, but I digress.

The point is that "failed" isn't necessarily the word I'd use to describe his NFL coaching career.

Watched a few of the postgame shows by Mora.

Things that just didn't sit right:

1. Called out his kicker early in the season for blowing a game. Kicker did not miss a kick the rest of the year. Didn't praise him.

2. Mora, I think, hung himself the last few weeks during the postgame show (and the show is a few hours after the games are played, enough time to simmer down). He repeatedly complained that his team lacked good players and implied that it was the previous regime's fault... even though he was part of the previous regime's staff. The final week he even hinted that he knew he was on the way out and nearly begged on screen to be brought back.

3. Kept blaming the losses on the players and sometimes on injuries. A head coach has to shoulder the blame for not coaching his players into the next level.

4. In a change of the norm of blaming others, he tried to defend Hasselbeck the last few weeks even though Hass played like Delhomme, the turnover king.

5. Did I mention he didn't accept any blame and tried to blame it on the players he supposedly directly coaches and blamed the management... directly to the media? Hung himself.

Edited by Riffraff

Sorry, read it wrong. 1 win, 3 games. Which is the exact same number of victories Notre Dame managed against Pete Carroll during his tenure at SC, but I digress.

The point is that "failed" isn't necessarily the word I'd use to describe his NFL coaching career.

>meow<

Don't get all tissy when someone catches one of your errors. :wacko:

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reports that Carroll and the Hawks are close to 5 year, $35 mill deal for Head Coach + Team President

Sorry, I would take Holmgrem any day. Hope the Hawks fall on their faces with this one.

I'm willing to give Carroll a chance. The guy has a great football mind that worked well at the semi-pro level in Los Angeles. Let's see if his time away from the NFL has proven to be a worthwhile one.

And with Holmgren, he's a great football coach, and a great evaluator of talent as proven by his track record of 1st Round picks and players developed with the Seahawks, but I don't know that he would have been the best choice to run the operations for the Seahawks given a one-year hiatus from the sidelines. An objective eye for an overhaul is what's needed. Something he could do in Cleveland, not so sure he could do in Renton.

Mora's a good football guy, but not sure he has the ego needed to command respect from grown men. He lost the battle of the locker room. Funny, that is almost word for word what was said when Carroll was given the boot.

The thing I think Carroll has working for him here is that his defensive captain is one of his standout pupils. As the vocal leader of the team, Tatupu should be able to go a long way in getting the defense to respond to Carroll. Getting the stars and leaders on the team to buy in is half the battle an unproven coach has to fight in the locker room. As a sidenote, Carroll might also be able to figure out how to get something out of former first round pick Lawrence Jackson, another former Trojan.

I think if Gruden, Cowher, Dungy etc. weren't available, this move might create a lot more buzz. Without at least interviewing a few more prominent candidates, this kind of smells like a move made by a group of non-football guys. The whole thing kinda stinks. Carroll sneaks out of USC right before they go on probation. I guess he was going to get a job in the NFL at some point, so why shouldn't it be the Hawks? But to pay him such big money and not to offer that money to proven NFL guys is a bit of an eye-brow raiser.

Watched a few of the postgame shows by Mora.

Things that just didn't sit right:

1. Called out his kicker early in the season for blowing a game. Kicker did not miss a kick the rest of the year. Didn't praise him.

2. Mora, I think, hung himself the last few weeks during the postgame show (and the show is a few hours after the games are played, enough time to simmer down). He repeatedly complained that his team lacked good players and implied that it was the previous regime's fault... even though he was part of the previous regime's staff. The final week he even hinted that he knew he was on the way out and nearly begged on screen to be brought back.

3. Kept blaming the losses on the players and sometimes on injuries. A head coach has to shoulder the blame for not coaching his players into the next level.

4. In a change of the norm of blaming others, he tried to defend Hasselbeck the last few weeks even though Hass played like Delhomme, the turnover king.

5. Did I mention he didn't accept any blame and tried to blame it on the players he supposedly directly coaches and blamed the management... directly to the media? Hung himself.

? Mora or Obama?