[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Rooney Rule

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure seems stupid at this point.....that Frazior dude for the Vikes knew he was just being used....then decides ta interview, they fly there ta Minni...seems like a joke now or was it always a joke :wacko:

The rule has good intentions, but when a team already has a coach pegged before any interviews and publicizes that, it makes the rule look like a joke.

The best-case scenario for the Rooney Rule was the Mike Tomlin hiring; had that rule not been in place, the Steelers likely wouldn't have even talked to him and just gone with an in-house candidate. What it was designed to do was give minority candidates an "in" to the old boy network; you can debate the need for the rule at this point, or its effectiveness, but it's pretty obvious that both the Redskins and Seahawks have blatantly sidestepped the rule in offering what amounts to token interviews to Jerry Gray and Leslie Frazier en route to hiring guys that were essentially done deals already, and the league is doing nothing about it. Maybe Gray and Frazier see this as a way of getting their names out there, I don't know, but while they may be following the rule technically (and in the Redskins' case, not even that) they're stomping all over what the rule intended.

2V

Frazier is being used but he's also getting his name out for more legitimate positions where he may actually have a chance. I don't know if I would play along with a system where I was given 4, 5, or 6 token interviews with no chance at a job but it works both ways a bit.

The intention is to do away with the old buddy system and to provide new blood as potential coaching candidates. I'm also not sure if it is working as intended either.

I'm really surprised Frazier agreed to the interview, so much so, that it wouldn't surprise me if money had changed hands.

Frazier has gone through more than a handful of interviews now, and none of them seem to have been legitimate. It is only a matter of time before he starts telling teams to find some other sucker.

The rule has good intentions, but when a team already has a coach pegged before any interviews and publicizes that, it makes the rule look like a joke.

+1

Frazier may be getting "used", but he is getting in front of decision makers where previously he would not even have the opportunity to interview.

+1

in some cases it is a joke, but i have read about circumstances where someone was interviewed and really impressed during the interview and either got the job, or was referred to another one. maybe that was bs, who knows.

+1

The moral is - this is a complex issue. One benefit to the poor, insulted minorities is along the lines of getting in front of decision makers - whereas before a minority candidate wouldn't even have gotten a shot, at least now he is getting experience in the interview process, which helps down the road.

Personally, I'd prefer the Rooney Rule be more of a gentleman's agreement; that way teams that have decided on their next coach already don't make it look like a fiasco. But as usual, when it comes to race, there are no simple solutions.

Just so you can understand how the rule helps, imagine yourself gettting ready to interview for the lead role in a Top Gun reality show and the prerequisites are you have to have jet flying experience. Assuming non of you here have flown a jet, the hiring committee has now openned the position to Huddlers as they have been previously discriminated against for what every reason. Assuming they hire a new person every year for the next 50 years, how many huddlers would even get a chance to apply? Probably none or a thimble full at best. So what if in the wisdom of fairness some guy on the commitee decided hey, the reason no Huddlers have been hired is they have no access to get the experience nessasary to qualify. So they say to the Top Gun hiring commitee this year, each year you will interview a Huddler period. Thus, each year someone from the huddle gets chance to even hear the questions and hone their interviewing skills to understand what it takes to even be considered for the job. See what I mean, at least now hudders each year are getting the experience to know how to interview and what qualifications they are looking for to even have a chance for the job when they otherwise would not even know what to perpare for because they never had the opportunity to do so.

So when do you stop the program, not anytime soon as it takes time to insure that a culture of change in attitude and practices becomes the norm and not the exception.

Also the hiring committee gets the opportunity to get to know huddlers and realize they even exist and want to be Top Gun reality show actors, while before they had no experience with huddlers and never had the desire to get to know any. Basically it's all about getting people to talk and associate with eachother to develop comfort levels with eachother so someday in the future their just as likely to look to and for a huddler as they are their normal hiring circles.

Had we not intergrated our school system, white families and students as well as black families and students would have never gotten the chance to realize they are more alike then different with similar goals and ambitions in life. The steriotypes could not continue as each race discovered that not ALL are like this or that because I met one that wasn't like that. Keeping people seperate fosters separation and alienation while removing the opportuinity to get to know eachother and their individual qualities as human beings. Opening up the "good ole boy" network is a good thing for everyone because they are forced to at least experience eachother.

Remeber the Titans is a good example of how forced intergration produces solid relationships and acceptance while fostering balance and the ability to take advantage of individual qualities from each persons race and abilities.

I always said the Melting Pot theory is not accurate because a melting pot destorys the individual qualites of everyone and makes everyone the same, rather we (the U.S.) should be more like a Salad where by each ingredient is valued for their unique flavor and the differences once mixed together makes the entire salad better.

Hope this helps.

Just so you can understand how the rule helps, imagine yourself gettting ready to interview for the lead role in a Top Gun reality show and the prerequisites are you have to have jet flying experience. Assuming non of you here have flown a jet, the hiring committee has now openned the position to Huddlers as they have been previously discriminated against for what every reason. Assuming they hire a new person every year for the next 50 years, how many huddlers would even get a chance to apply? Probably none or a thimble full at best. So what if in the wisdom of fairness some guy on the commitee decided hey, the reason no Huddlers have been hired is they have no access to get the experience nessasary to qualify. So they say to the Top Gun hiring commitee this year, each year you will interview a Huddler period. Thus, each year someone from the huddle gets chance to even hear the questions and hone their interviewing skills to understand what it takes to even be considered for the job. See what I mean, at least now hudders each year are getting the experience to know how to interview and what qualifications they are looking for to even have a chance for the job when they otherwise would not even know what to perpare for because they never had the opportunity to do so.

So when do you stop the program, not anytime soon as it takes time to insure that a culture of change in attitude and practices becomes the norm and not the exception.

Also the hiring committee gets the opportunity to get to know huddlers and realize they even exist and want to be Top Gun reality show actors, while before they had no experience with huddlers and never had the desire to get to know any. Basically it's all about getting people to talk and associate with eachother to develop comfort levels with eachother so someday in the future their just as likely to look to and for a huddler as they are their normal hiring circles.

Had we not intergrated our school system, white families and students as well as black families and students would have never gotten the chance to realize they are more alike then different with similar goals and ambitions in life. The steriotypes could not continue as each race discovered that not ALL are like this or that because I met one that wasn't like that. Keeping people seperate fosters separation and alienation while removing the opportuinity to get to know eachother and their individual qualities as human beings. Opening up the "good ole boy" network is a good thing for everyone because they are forced to at least experience eachother.

Remeber the Titans is a good example of how forced intergration produces solid relationships and acceptance while fostering balance and the ability to take advantage of individual qualities from each persons race and abilities.

I always said the Melting Pot theory is not accurate because a melting pot destorys the individual qualites of everyone and makes everyone the same, rather we (the U.S.) should be more like a Salad where by each ingredient is valued for their unique flavor and the differences once mixed together makes the entire salad better.

Hope this helps.

I understand the rule and agree with it. My point is the Seahawks made a joke of it not the rule itself and what it is designed for. I agree with your point that it is good experience for him.

So did the Redskins right?

There is nothing wrong with going after the guy you want, it is more about issuring that Snyder or Seattles brass getting to know a minority and inviting a minority into the circle of options that's all. Who knows maybe Snyder discovered something about the minority he interviewed that he didn't know before and the minority himself got a chance to hone his skills. More importantly it's about contacts and who you know. Now both minorities interviewed may have been impessive enough to be recommened to the friends or associates of Snyder and Seattles extened NFL relationships. That's the whole point, insuring that minorites have the oppotunity to make business realtionships as well as personal ones with the NFL powers that be, that they otherwise may never get. Would Snyder volunteer his time to get to know a minority if not told to do so. Maybe, but more importantly in the past that hasn't happened, now it will. It's all about building relationships that historically wouldn't and didn't happen so that in the future NFL owners are more apt to include minorities as a matter of practice. This wouldn't be an issue if the circle of owners would have included minorities in managment given the representation of minorities in the sport it'self. So IMO it's never a Joke just a ensure each owner is concious of qualified minorities around them that historically have been ignored for what ever reason.

There is nothing wrong with going after the guy you want, it is more about issuring that Snyder or Seattles brass getting to know a minority and inviting a minority into the circle of options that's all. Who knows maybe Snyder discovered something about the minority he interviewed that he didn't know before and the minority himself got a chance to hone his skills. More importantly it's about contacts and who you know. Now both minorities interviewed may have been impessive enough to be recommened to the friends or associates of Snyder and Seattles extened NFL relationships. That's the whole point, insuring that minorites have the oppotunity to make business realtionships as well as personal ones with the NFL powers that be, that they otherwise may never get. Would Snyder volunteer his time to get to know a minority if not told to do so. Maybe, but more importantly in the past that hasn't happened, now it will. It's all about building relationships that historically wouldn't and didn't happen so that in the future NFL owners are more apt to include minorities as a matter of practice. This wouldn't be an issue if the circle of owners would have included minorities in managment given the representation of minorities in the sport it'self. So IMO it's never a Joke just a ensure each owner is concious of qualified minorities around them that historically have been ignored for what ever reason.

That's a pretty lengthy response. I basically meant that in less than 24 hours from the Skinds last game they fired Zorn and had Shanny in the building. Did they actually interview a minority before announcing Shanny as the coach? If they did then obviously it was a shame since they already had their coach.

That's a pretty lengthy response. I basically meant that in less than 24 hours from the Skinds last game they fired Zorn and had Shanny in the building. Did they actually interview a minority before announcing Shanny as the coach? If they did then obviously it was a shame since they already had their coach.

I getcha, but I don't blame he guy for going after Shannhan and he did interview on of his Coordinators and asked the league if that counts to satisfy the rule and it did. I dont' think it's a Joke to satisfy the rule despite know who you want already that's all.

What Cowboyz said twice.

Wouldn't it suck to not know how to interview when there's a job that you actually might get for the taking? There's not always an obvious candidate floating around like a Shannahan or an owner with more money than god ready to lure his choice of guy. When a Jacksonville or someone goes value hunting and is ready to take a chance, it'll be nice that some of these guys got some practice runs.

That and the fact that these guys talk. If one of the guys who got a fake interview for either Seattle or Wash really knocked it out of the park, word will get out.

Now, if you want to argue that it's not fair to low-profile white candidates, that's another story entirely and essentially comes down to where you stand on affirmative action.

Edited by detlef

Yeah, but the Huddlers still would'nt be able to fly the damn planes.

The Rooney Rule is a complete joke and mochary to every single working person. Hey, you're black, lets interview you! That is a horrible approach. It doesn't eliminate prejudice, it only encourages it. If you want to get people in there to get there name out to the NFL ball clubs with no expectations of getting the job- then go find that bum on the streets and give him a shot. Go to that winning high school coach and interview him! Heck, lets interview a woman, they seem to have zero existance in the NFL. COME ON PEOPLE. Open your eyes. No one cares about you except your mother. If you want to get your name known, or get experience, create opportunity yourself. Make a name for yourself and build a network. Dont use your color to do it for you. Shouldnt a qualified but over looked white male be given a shot too even though he isnt "known". It makes little to zero sense.