[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well, you don't have to worry about the answer any more

muck

Last offseason, I started a new BOTH league, Best Drafter in the Huddle.

The idea was simple:

Which braggart here can put together the best team, regardless of where they draft from or regardless of whether the team is put together via draft or auction.

Well, the answer is easy.

Me. I'm the best drafter. I was the only owner to be above .500 in each of the four divisions (winning three of the four divisions outright) and winning nearly 18% more games than the guy who won the 2nd most games (we played 748 games in our league this past season).

League format:

Each owner participated in three drafts and one auction; as a result, we had four divisions

Each team in each division played the other 11 teams in that division each week; no playoffs...187 games / division; 748 total across all four divisions.

No waivers.

No trades.

Best ball (i.e., the highest scoring legal starting lineup was your lineup); no WDIS issues.

20 person rosters, eight of whom would start each week (generally, QB / RB / WR / WR / TE and then either RB/WR/TE, or RB/WR/WR, or WR/WR/WR)

Scoring is pretty typical standard performance scoring, except that we have points per touch (i.e., RBs get 0.25pts / reception, WRs get 1.5pts / reception, QBs and TEs get 2.0pts / reception and all players get 0.25pts / rushing attempt)

...basically, it is a "draft and let it go" league where drafting solid top-to-bottom rosters would pay off in spades with bye weeks and inconsistent performances from week-to-week (i.e., if your best RB had a crappy week, would your #4 or #5 RB maybe score enough to help out?)...

Here are the results for the twelve guys who were in this little experiment.

511 - 237 - 0 Muck

434 - 313 - 1 GeeTeeBee

428 - 320 - 0 TDFFFreaks

402 - 346 - 0 Yukon Cornelius

381 - 367 - 0 The Hitter

366 - 382 - 0 Chief Dick

355 - 393 - 0 Tonorator

345 - 403 - 0 Atlanta Cracker

340 - 408 - 0 GK Trey

330 - 417 - 1 Big Country

303 - 444 - 1 Brentastic

277 - 470 - 1 Bronco Billy

PS - Note that while I'm not expecting anyone to drop out after the first year, which ever owner has the lowest W/L after the second season will be kicked out and replaced with some fresh blood. After that, the lowest W/L team will be booted each year. Brent and BB have an early jump on the rest of us to see who's gonna get the axe next offseason. :wacko:

For those of you who want to field a better team next year, for me, there were were four things that helped out a bunch (only two of which I really had any control over) and one thing that I think was VERY interesting.

First, I didn't have any serious injuries that weren't adequately overcome by sleepers coming through. This is a flukey, non-predictable thing -- if it goes in your favor, good ... if not, it's very hard to overcome.

Second, when guys were on bye weeks, someone else would show up to add something to the weekly score. Again, this is a little bit unpredictable; just try to get guys who you think will get a chance to touch the ball. And then hope they do on the weeks that you need them to!

Third, there were only three guys who were on each of my rosters ... one was Ryan Grant (who I was getting at a good value price in the 3rd or 4th round and who I thought would outperform his ADP by a decent amount; he ended up as the #8 RB in our scoring), one was Laurence Maroney (again, who I got for at very good value prices in the 13th or 14th round and who I expected had a better than fair shot to be the leading rushing in NE) and, finally, the third one was Miles Austin (who I was expecting to have a couple of good games as he took over as the #2 in DAL in the second half of the season; I did NOT think he'd blow up like he did and was an enormous value in the 15th round).

Fourth, the best thing, however, was that I didn't draft any big busts. I didn't pick Forte or Slaton in any league. I didn't draft TO in any league. Etc. The closest thing I had to a bust was Marshawn Lynch twice (once in the 6th and once in the 7th) and L.Coles (once in the 5th).

Finally, the thing that was very interesting ... of the top 5 guys in our league's scoring, they were available 20x (once for each of the four divisions) ... well, I only had one of them one time (Brett Favre was #4 overall in our league scoring and I had him on only one of my rosters) which is FAR less than I would expect our league champion to have ... the other 19 "top five" guys were owned by other owners (including some of these guys were owned multiple times by the same owner) ... however, if you looked at the top 30 guys in our league's scoring, of the 120 available players, I had 15 of them ... far more than my fair share ...

So, while I missed out on having my fair share of the very biggest of the monster studs, by avoiding busts and drafting very solid and deep lineups, I emerged victorious (by a mile).

So you can see, here are my four rosters (where players at each position are listed in order of the # of fantasy points each player generated, so that you can see that Josh Morgan was the #4 WR on my Division 1 team, for example):

Division 1: All-play record 99-88

QB: Romo / Ryan / Kitna

RB: Gore / Grant / JStewart / LMaroney / JLewis

WR: MAustin / COchocinco / CalJohnson / Josh Morgan / LColes / MMuhammad / CSchillens / JNelson / BEngram

TE: JCarlson / RMcMichael / DesClark

Division 2: All-play record 145-42 (the best-all play record in any of the four divisions)

QB: Brady / Roethlisberger / MStafford / Quinn

RB: RGrant / JHarrison / LMaroney / BWells / MLynch / LMcClain

WR: RMoss / SSmith (NYG) / MAustin / JCotchery / BBerrian / MCrabtree / MMuhammad / JCribbs

TE: BCelek / KWinslow

Division 3: All-play record 136-51

QB: KWarner / MRyan / SHIll / MVick

RB: APeterson / RGrant / LMaroney / CTaylor / MLynch / KFaulk

WR: WWelker / SSMith (NYG) / MAustin / DJackson / KWalter / MMuhammad / MBradley / LSweed

TE: BCelek / RMcMichael

Division 4: All-play record 131-56

QB: BFavre / KWarner / KOrton

RB: RGrant / CWilliams / MTurner / LMaroney / KFaulk / SGreen

WR: MAustin / MColston / SSmith (CAR) / HNicks / JMaclin / MBradley / MClayton / TWilliamson

TE: KWinslow / JFinley

Edited by muck

Good job Muck! :wacko:

How long did it take you guys to draft all these teams? I remember when you were starting this thing and I would have loved to be part of it but I was afraid of the time it would take to draft. Please tell me how you worked it all out with the drafts.

Sure you were the best. I mean come on, look at the list of characters you were competing against. :wacko:

Miles Austin (who I was expecting to have a couple of good games as he took over as the #2 in DAL in the second half of the season; I did NOT think he'd blow up like he did and was an enormous value in the 15th round).

let me just boil it down for you ... :wacko:

nice season muck!

Good job Muck! :wacko:

How long did it take you guys to draft all these teams? I remember when you were starting this thing and I would have loved to be part of it but I was afraid of the time it would take to draft. Please tell me how you worked it all out with the drafts.

We did a slow draft for three of them over about 10 days.

The auction was a bit of a cluster; we got about 33% of it done in the first 3-4 hrs, then another 33% in the next 1-2hrs (as some guys were down to minimum bids and others had to drop out to go to work the next day) and the final 33% was finished up in a thrown-together draft order as many of the guys had blown through their money. All of us are hopeful that there will be some auction software somewhere that will allow us to do this part differently (just like we are hoping for in The Core).

Love to be on the waiting list for that, but with you, I know to ask.

How much a team?

Last year, dues were $200 / team. We don't allow co-ownerships. We paid out $$ to the top four places based on total W/L % across all four divisions.

Miles Austin (who I was expecting to have a couple of good games as he took over as the #2 in DAL in the second half of the season; I did NOT think he'd blow up like he did and was an enormous value in the 15th round).

Division 1: All-play record 99-88

WR: MAustin / COchocinco / CalJohnson / Josh Morgan / LColes / MMuhammad / CSchillens / JNelson / BEngram

Division 2: All-play record 145-42 (the best-all play record in any of the four divisions)

WR: RMoss / SSmith (NYG) / MAustin / JCotchery / BBerrian / MCrabtree / MMuhammad / JCribbs

Division 3: All-play record 136-51

WR: WWelker / SSMith (NYG) / MAustin / DJackson / KWalter / MMuhammad / MBradley / LSweed

Division 4: All-play record 131-56

WR: MAustin / MColston / SSmith (CAR) / HNicks / JMaclin / MBradley / MClayton / TWilliamson

let me just boil it down for you ... :D

So, you're saying that the guy I picked in the 15th round who ended up being the THIRD best WR on two of my teams made all of the difference?

Do you know anyone else who's claiming his 3rd best WR made all of the difference between him winning and losing his league? Or other guys who lost, point to the winner and say, "That guy that that you picked in the 15th round who ended up being your 3rd best WR was the main reason you won the league --- you were lucky." ???

:wacko:

We did a slow draft for three of them over about 10 days.

The auction was a bit of a cluster; we got about 33% of it done in the first 3-4 hrs, then another 33% in the next 1-2hrs (as some guys were down to minimum bids and others had to drop out to go to work the next day) and the final 33% was finished up in a thrown-together draft order as many of the guys had blown through their money. All of us are hopeful that there will be some auction software somewhere that will allow us to do this part differently (just like we are hoping for in The Core).

Last year, dues were $200 / team. We don't allow co-ownerships. We paid out $$ to the top four places based on total W/L % across all four divisions.

Too rich for me.

With a co-commish, I could probably help run a cheaper one if there's interest.

So, you're saying that the guy I picked in the 15th round who ended up being the THIRD best WR on two of my teams made all of the difference?

yes. i don't know if it's possible, but pull him off your teams and i bet you don't win this thing. i'm betting he had that much of an impact given that most teams WR3 were nowhere near as strong.

but hey, it's kudos to you for grabbing him on all your teams!

yes. i don't know if it's possible, but pull him off your teams and i bet you don't win this thing. i'm betting he had that much of an impact given that most teams WR3 were nowhere near as strong.

but hey, it's kudos to you for grabbing him on all your teams!

I was just busting your chops.

If anyone is told pre-season that the WR they'll take in the 15th round will outperform Calvin Johnson, Chad Ochocinco, Steve Smith (CAR) and Marques Colston, you'd have to be pretty stoked.

Would I have won w/o Austin? I don't know, but it would have been much closer, that's for sure.

Would I have won w/o Austin? I don't know, but it would have been much closer, that's for sure.

i did some quick excel magic and if you just flat pull austin off your team and don't replace his points, you would have finished with 357 wins instead of 511. that would put you just 2 wins ahead of me in 6th place. but since you would have had another player in there for austin, the question becomes how much would that position need to score for you to still win the thing. the answer is at least 10 points. that means you would have needed a different receiver that you didn't start to score at least 10 points, which would tie you with GTB at 434 wins.

just scanning over the results, it's not that common that a WR in our league was benched with more than 10 points. if they scored that much, they were pretty much in the starting scoring line-up.

so he was HUGH in winning you the title.

again, i'm not saying you were lucky or belittling your performance in any way. YOU drafted the guy in all 4 leagues. that was freakin' genius and it led to the championship!