[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lane Kiffin to coach USC

piratesownninjas

So much for singing rocky top year after year. Lying pos. hope USC gets rocked with suspensions.

why would anyone want to play for usc now. once kiffin gets what he thinks is a better job he'll be gone again.

+1

How does he have any credibility with potential recruits? And what a to flk over the kids who came to tennessee for him.

why would anyone want to play for usc now. once kiffin gets what he thinks is a better job he'll be gone again.

Not that I think what he has done is good for anyone but himself but I'm not sure he thinks there is a better job... which is why he jumped at it.

Leaving after just one year is tough. Really tough for all those kids he left hanging. I imagine some may try to go with him, and some current players may sit out a year.

Still, I understand the decision. The USC job is not something that you get offered more than once in a lifetime. The opportunity may never come again. It's his dream job. I know that I couldn't have turned it down. He's already in a position to succeed with Monte Kiffin, Ed Orgeron, and now Norm Chow. Plus, the PAC-10 is a much easier conference compared to the SEC. Every thing was right about this job. Pete Carroll was right. There's never a good time to leave. I really can't fault Lane Kiffin for jumping at the opportunity. It was just too good to pass up.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want to live in Los Angeles compared to Knoxville?

Edited by electricrelish

Coach should have to sit out a year too!! I say if you as a coach leave for another school within in your first 3 years than you must sit a year out before being able to coach another school. I also think players in their first year should be allowed to leave without sitting out a year and can go anywhere but the school the coach is going. The player wants to follow the coach and then it goes back to sitting out a year for that player too.

Lost TONS of respect for Kiffin.

Meh, what are you gonna do. You gonna tell a guy to pass on his dream job because it comes open a year after he goes somewhere else? I think the problem we have with this all boils down to the illusion we have that College football is somehow pure and noble when it's as compromised and sold-out as the pros. If Kiffin pooped the bed at UT, we'd be looking to ship his ass out of town as fast as we could. There'd be a huge buyout, I'm sure, but my guess is that UT's getting paid something by someone to let this happen. If not, it's their fault for not including something like that in the contract.

At least at the level we're talking about, the notion of student-athlete is a crock and, frankly, there shouldn't be any penalty for the kids changing schools at the drop of a hat either. Either that or actually sign them to a contract that's more than room, meals, and a sham of an education.

I think it represents an incredibly short sighted position on the part of USC: their claim to fame, besides their one NC, has been year after year of top ten recruiting classes that Pete Carroll produced. Now, they bring in a coach with all types of baggage for other coaches to take advantage of in the recruiting process while at the same time USC is expected to get hit with sanctions.

So what they've chased down is (at the moment) a "Pete Carrol Lite" type of continuity when in fact they need a complete break from that as the NCAA gets ready to hand down a punishment. The coach's own personal integrity can be open to attack because of his jumping ship after talking a great game - as in "Son, how do you know he won't jump back to the NFL in two years if he gets that chance?" while the institution itself appears to be on the precipice of its own integrity issues that have yet to go away.

Then again, birds of a feather.

Leaving after just one year is tough. Really tough for all those kids he left hanging. I imagine some may try to go with him, and some current players may sit out a year.

Still, I understand the decision. The USC job is not something that you get offered more than once in a lifetime. The opportunity may never come again. It's his dream job. I know that I couldn't have turned it down. He's already in a position to succeed with Monte Kiffin, Ed Orgeron, and now Norm Chow. Plus, the PAC-10 is a much easier conference compared to the SEC. Every thing was right about this job. Pete Carroll was right. There's never a good time to leave. I really can't fault Lane Kiffin for jumping at the opportunity. It was just too good to pass up.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want to live in Los Angeles compared to Knoxville?

+1 on all counts

Meh, what are you gonna do. You gonna tell a guy to pass on his dream job because it comes open a year after he goes somewhere else? I think the problem we have with this all boils down to the illusion we have that College football is somehow pure and noble when it's as compromised and sold-out as the pros. If Kiffin pooped the bed at UT, we'd be looking to ship his ass out of town as fast as we could. There'd be a huge buyout, I'm sure, but my guess is that UT's getting paid something by someone to let this happen. If not, it's their fault for not including something like that in the contract.

At least at the level we're talking about, the notion of student-athlete is a crock and, frankly, there shouldn't be any penalty for the kids changing schools at the drop of a hat either. Either that or actually sign them to a contract that's more than room, meals, and a sham of an education.

Kiffin owes UT 800K over 36 months. No word on if USC is picking up that bill.

Hey sunshine, you having a bad day or something? I think it's less than 1% of all college players end up in the pros so hopefully some of them are getting more than a "sham" of an education.

Hey sunshine, you having a bad day or something? I think it's less than 1% of all college players end up in the pros so hopefully some of them are getting more than a "sham" of an education.

You've been watching too many commercials showing actual student athletes. I'm talking about the guys who make the wheels turn at major programs. Not dudes playing football for Holy Cross.

Right, even among the blue chips that go to major D-1 schools don't make the pros. How many of them graduate? More importantly. How many of them graduate without having been railroaded through some lame ass major that's not worth a damned?

My point is simply this. At the big schools, the system works for those who are good enough to make the pros or for those who weren't good enough to start anyway. For the rest inbetween? Which is a pretty decent number. They're getting used, plain and simple.

I think the problem we have with this all boils down to the illusion we have that College football is somehow pure and noble when it's as compromised and sold-out as the pros.

The more I think about this situation, the more I think that this is the biggest issue we have. NCAA fans just can't believe someone would do something like this in such a game of heart and passion, but the truth is - it's business.

Coach should have to sit out a year too!! I say if you as a coach leave for another school within in your first 3 years than you must sit a year out before being able to coach another school. I also think players in their first year should be allowed to leave without sitting out a year and can go anywhere but the school the coach is going. The player wants to follow the coach and then it goes back to sitting out a year for that player too.

How about school's having to honor the contracts they sign with coaches???

Lost TONS of respect for Kiffin.

You mean all the respect you had for a guy who was inquiring about the open Arkansas job 2/3's of the way through his first season as an NFL coach?

Kiffin's burned through an NFL job (even if it was Oakland, it's still an NFL job), a fairly prestigious job in the SEC, and now moves on to about the single most prestigious job in all of college football, and this is in the last three seasons, and the guy is 34. He appears to be very lucky and have a lot of good friends in the right places, because he certainly hasn't distinguished himself on the football field.