[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lane Kiffin to coach USC

piratesownninjas

How about school's having to honor the contracts they sign with coaches???

You mean all the respect you had for a guy who was inquiring about the open Arkansas job 2/3's of the way through his first season as an NFL coach?

Kiffin's burned through an NFL job (even if it was Oakland, it's still an NFL job), a fairly prestigious job in the SEC, and now moves on to about the single most prestigious job in all of college football, and this is in the last three seasons, and the guy is 34. He appears to be very lucky and have a lot of good friends in the right places, because he certainly hasn't distinguished himself on the football field.

Lane Kiffin has some of the best luck I've ever seen. This guy is living the charmed life. Now if USC wins with him at the helm, then you know he's one of those guys where everything clicks for him.

Lane Kiffin has some of the best luck I've ever seen. This guy is living the charmed life. Now if USC wins with him at the helm, then you know he's one of those guys where everything clicks for him.

It definitely helps when your dad is one of the most prestigious defensive coordinators known to football and your first head coaching gig was with a crazy old man who would take ANYONE who wanted the job.

How about school's having to honor the contracts they sign with coaches???

You mean all the respect you had for a guy who was inquiring about the open Arkansas job 2/3's of the way through his first season as an NFL coach?

Kiffin's burned through an NFL job (even if it was Oakland, it's still an NFL job), a fairly prestigious job in the SEC, and now moves on to about the single most prestigious job in all of college football, and this is in the last three seasons, and the guy is 34. He appears to be very lucky and have a lot of good friends in the right places, because he certainly hasn't distinguished himself on the football field.

They do!! They get a huge buyout. The kids in last years class don't get paid a buy out, don't give me a education speech either we all know kids chose a program and a coach over the school and that plays a huge role. I think a coach should have his buyout escalated as well in the same situation reversed.

Edited by sacosud

Here is a killer article:

USC's Lane Kiffin is the face of modern college football, for better or worse

As for the person that opined that coaching USC is the prime job in college football, I disagree. Nick Saban has that job.

Until the good old boys turn on him because he isn't the Baaeer. Plus you give enough rope to a miserable human like Saban, and he'll hang himself.

Until the good old boys turn on him because he isn't the Baaeer. Plus you give enough rope to a miserable human like Saban, and he'll hang himself.

Gotta ask. What is your main reason for hating Saban so much. Just curious. Leaving the Big 10 for the SEC? Or is it more personal?

Edited by Rockerbraves

Gotta ask. What is your main reason for hating Saban so much. Just curious. Leaving the Big 10 for the SEC? Or is it more personal?

I thought everyone hated that guy (at least on some level)? You mean you don't? Alabama fan?

As for the person that opined that coaching USC is the prime job in college football, I disagree. Nick Saban has that job.

Actually, it's the coach that makes the job, not the other way around.

Nick and Lane have one thing in common and it is not their job....

Don't like a coach who makes himself bigger than the team, and doesn't own up to his own failures and passes blame on others. It's like you're apart of this, and when you win, great, everyone loves you and NFL teams are knocking on your door, but when you lose, it's someone elses fault. The guy is an arrogant jerk. I will never deny he is a great coach, just a lousy person. Don't really care that he left Michigan State high and dry. It was a good move for him, he certainly wasn't lighting the Big Ten world on fire. There's a reason they called him "6-5 Nick". He had 1 moderately impressive season that got Michigan State a New Years Day Bowl win over Florida in 1999. Other than that, he wasn't that impressive. He had a nice chance to go to LSU and took it. LSU certainly doesn't have to worry about being anyones "goofy little brother" in the state of Louisiana, whereas, Michigan State is, and always will be a basketball school. They've had some success in football, but the state of Michigan is all about the Wolverines in football, and Sparty in Basketball. And for an egomaniac like Nick, that wasn't going to work.

A different perspective ......

I don't get all the hate for Kiffin? I do understand the affect his decision has on the recruits and that is the worst part about this. This move gets blown out of proportion because he leaves after only 1 year but, USC is his dream job and who knows when it comes open again? I'm sure Lane felt like he had to jump at the opportunity.Coaches leave programs all the time for better jobs. USC is one of, if not the nest, jobs in college football. Certainly a better job than coaching at Tennessee. To me, Lane deserves some props for walking into the pressure cooker of being the coach that follows Mr. Pete Carrol and the dynasty that he built at SC.

A different perspective ......

I don't get all the hate for Kiffin? I do understand the affect his decision has on the recruits and that is the worst part about this. This move gets blown out of proportion because he leaves after only 1 year but, USC is his dream job and who knows when it comes open again? I'm sure Lane felt like he had to jump at the opportunity.Coaches leave programs all the time for better jobs. USC is one of, if not the nest, jobs in college football. Certainly a better job than coaching at Tennessee. To me, Lane deserves some props for walking into the pressure cooker of being the coach that follows Mr. Pete Carrol and the dynasty that he built at SC.

I'm indifferent to him. On one hand his antics at Tennessee did amuse me. I just don't get how the guy, as Dan Wetzel wrote on yahoo!, keeps falling forward. But I'm not calling the shots at USC, so more power to them. It will be interesting to see what comes with this looming NCAA investigation. Should be interesting to see how bad they punish... I don't know... Utah State? Some program will fall on their sword for the USC's and Alabama's of the world.

I'm not even a Vol fan, but I still feel sorry for them. Ouch! They deserve better than this.

Hell, I'm not even a USC fan, but I feel sorry for THEM. OUCH!! They deserve better than this.

Already shamed by the various scandals bringing the taint of cheating to everything they did with Reggie Bush -- now they bring in a coach whose claims to fame in his other two head coaching jobs are being fired for lying and disloyalty by the owner and bumbling into his own recruiting violations (say nothing of the humiliation of inaccurately acusing another coach of violations) at the college gig ... Stir in a losing record in the pros and a 7-6 record in college ... USC can only muster this resume? DANG -- the spectre of NCAA punishment certainly scares away candidates!!

Could we have another Tiger Woods type scandal with Kiffin? http://www.bittenandbound.com/2010/01/17/l...over-up-rumors/

The photo in this link was taken at a party in the spring. It shows Lane Kiffin, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, and Kiffin’s brother-in-law David Reaves chatting up some co-eds.

According to sources, former Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin fraternized with co-eds often, and did more than just knock back a few beers with them.

Sources tell us that boosters maintained a downtown apartment in Knoxville that was commonly referred to as Kiffin’s “rendezvous place.”

Sources also say that after Kiffin returned from Lexington following the Tennessee-Kentucky game, a local sports bar opened the doors for the coach, some of the boosters and several co-eds late at night. Afterward, Kiffin and a few of the boosters and co-eds left the club to continue their fun at the downtown apartment.

In an unrelated incident, we have also received information that in true Tiger Woods fashion, Kiffin was allegedly driving a vehicle provided by Lexus of Knoxville and was involved in a car accident. Several co-eds were in the car, and Kiffin — who had been drinking, was picked up by a neighbor and left the girls at the scene. The car was reportedly returned to the dealership the next day with extensive damage. (Calls to the dealership owner have not been returned)

Developing…