[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb's days in Philly

Scourge

What do you guys think? This is a very interesting and debatable topic in and around the city.

Personally, while I think McNabb still has lots of game left and I am not a McNabb hater, I feel that with the current QB situation around the league, Philly could probably get a couple of good picks for him, also trade Vick and try to fill some of these gaping holes. Give Kolb a shot to run this offense.

I am in need of change I think. It has been a nice run, but the bottom line is no Super Bowl victories and I am not sure it will ever happen with the Reid/McNabb combo.

So... Does McNabb get traded this off-season? If so, where to, what does Philly get in return, and what is the fallout?

-Scourge

Horse crap. McNabb is not a good QB. He throws poorly and makes bad decisions. If all of our recievers had hands for feet he could be the best in the league, but that's not the case. Chokes under pressure.

We need some new blood. Vick isn't the answer, Kolb... welll... too soon to tell. Eagles won't win anything without a new QB.

JMO.

What's his contract situation?

final year of his contract coming up- he's a lame duck, so they either have to renew him, or get rid of him. My guess is that if it were Andy's decision he'd be back, BUT I have a feeling Big Red might get overruled on this one and Donovan's days in Philly are numbered (or maybe I'm just hoping that is the case).

What's his contract situation?

He has one more year remaining on his existing deal. Kolb and Vick also only have one year remaining on their deals, so its apparent the Eagles need to commit to one of them in the offseason.

Some options:

1. Sign Kolb to an extension (which will require a significant financial committment, since he'll be looking for a 4-5 year deal), and let McNabb play his final year here before letting him walk. Gives the Eagles one more year to groom Kolb, and then take the reigns in 2011.

2. Sign McNabb to an extension (which he is lobbying for), guaranteeing Kolb walks after next year.

3. trade Mcnabb to the highest bidder, extend Kolb, but let Vick start next year for a season, then let Vick walk and turn it over to Kolb .

4. Start Kolb next year, and trade both McNabb & Vick.

Factors affecting their decision:

1. How comfotable are they with Kolb? He has started only two games (though he threw for 300+ in both), and there are some that think he may not have a strong enough arm for the NFL. if you commit to him, and he's a bust, you are left in dire straights.

2. How tradeable is McNabb? With the potential for no football in 2011, is a team really going to give anything of value for him? eagles are hoping for a 2nd-3rd round pick in return....not sure if there's a market for him at that price.

3. The Reid factor: Ried has grown here with Mcnabb, and with the exception of a Super Bowl, they have had high levels of success. Reid is loyal to him, though he did indeed bench him last year (and many think if Kolb had played well, mcnabb might not have gotten his job back). Does reid play it safe and stick with the QB that knows his sytem? Or is he himself ready for a change?

If a team is going to trade a decent draft pick for McNabb (which the Eagles would demand) , its going to be a team that feels its on the cusp of being playoff-ready, and needs a good QB to fill in the missing piece (similar to what the Vikes did this year). The short list includes Jacksonville, San Fran, Denver, Carolina, and perhaps Miamii. Suitors for Vick would be teams that need a spark, or those that need a gimic to perhaps generate some interest: St. Louis, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc.

Personally, I think the Eagles will find that the price for McNabb is not as high as they hope, and they end up hanging onto him. They will justify that lack of interest by saying they wanted to keep him all along, they went 11-5 this year, and with another year of letting the younger guys get even better (Jackson/Maclin/Celek/McCoy), they should be able to compete strongly yet again. Their OL was injury-ravaged this year, and it affected the continuiity of the offense. Assuming they get some consistency next year in both protection and run-blocking, there is no reason to think they won't equal or better this year's team-record setting group. It will be very interesting to see if Mcnabb will play under a final-year contract, or if he holds-out or demands a trade. If either happen, the Eagles are in good shape with Kolb (who theyw ill extend) as their Plan B.

Horse crap. McNabb is not a good QB. He throws poorly and makes bad decisions. If all of our recievers had hands for feet he could be the best in the league, but that's not the case. Chokes under pressure.

We need some new blood. Vick isn't the answer, Kolb... welll... too soon to tell. Eagles won't win anything without a new QB.

JMO.

You lost me at "not a good QB". :wacko:

Don't they already have an old qb?

He is signed for next year, but he probably retire unless he wants to collect another 13 million. They can use McNabb as levarage to make him make a decision (if the eagles offer to trade). Either one would be fine by me. I am betting Favre could play another 3 years if he wanted barring serious injury and the team he played for would let him report to the team on Aug 29th.

It's to bad it took until the last few years for him to get some good WR's to throw to. He did great with the talent he had.

That's my thought too. One losing record since he came aboard too - not bad in what is recognized as the toughest NFL division.

It's to bad it took until the last few years for him to get some good WR's to throw to. He did great with the talent he had.

A lot of players are in the same boat. Some didn't have WRs to throw to, others didn't have a QB, and great defensive players didn't have an offense.

He is signed for next year, but he probably retire unless he wants to collect another 13 million. They can use McNabb as levarage to make him make a decision (if the eagles offer to trade). Either one would be fine by me. I am betting Favre could play another 3 years if he wanted barring serious injury and the team he played for would let him report to the team on Aug 29th.

The bolded above highlights one of (if not the) biggest concern I had with the signing of BF. There's no reason to think he's suddenly going to be completely forthcoming nor stick with a decision permanently. Now that the Vikings have gone that route, they are "all in" and at the mercy of him as they've effectively told him he is the boss...

It will be very interesting to see if Mcnabb will play under a final-year contract, or if he holds-out or demands a trade. If either happen, the Eagles are in good shape with Kolb (who theyw ill extend) as their Plan B.

it's already being widely speculated that no way McNabb would report to camp as a lame duck starter.

$13 million says he does.

Yep....he may threaten that he will hold-out, but if he skips this season, and there is no football in 2011....he is still under contract in 2012 as an Eagle. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Eagles have a Plan B they would be more than able to roll with.

The ball is not in his court.