[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb's days in Philly

Scourge

I think Kolb has shown enough that they should let him start the rapport now with that young, extremely talented receiving corp. Why put it off? Reid throws more than any NFL coach & Kolb comes from the college system that does the same.

What most people fail to realize...

I think most people were a little surprised at the raucous and overwhelmingly positive reaction that Michael Vick got from the Philadelphia fans last night. Every time Vick stepped on the field, it sounded like Rocky Balboa just stepped into the ring. When Vick completed a pass, it sounded like Rocky just knocked out Clubber Lang.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I'm glad that fans are supporting Vick as he tries to rebuild his life, and I can't blame Eagles fans for being excited about the acquisition of a potentially dynamic new player. The possibilities for Vick are endless. I'd be psyched, too.

But I can't help but wonder what Donovan McNabb(notes) was feeling when the crowd went bananas for Vick. I don't know if McNabb's ever been cheered like that in Philadelphia. And yet, the second a convicted dog murderer takes the field, he gets a reception like Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania III. I couldn't blame McNabb if he was standing there thinking, "Maybe I should start an underground gerbil-fighting operation."

I know there are a lot of fans in Philadelphia who do love and support McNabb; in fact, it might even be most fans. I think that's the right attitude. McNabb is one of the great quarterbacks of all time, and certainly the best Eagles quarterback of all-time. Consider:

McNabb is fourth among active quarterbacks in career touchdown passes, trailing only Brett Favre(notes), Peyton Manning(notes) and Tom Brady(notes). He's got the third-best touchdown-to-interception ratio in NFL history, behind only Brady and Steve Young. His career winning percentage is an outstanding .651. A paltry 2.09% of his throws are intercepted, which beats Brady, Manning, Joe Montana, Dan Marino or anyone else you want to name. He's the Eagles all-time leader in yards, attempts and touchdowns.

And yet, the relationship between McNabb and the people of Philly has always seemed rockier than it should be. There's been a ridiculous amount of support (which is to say, any support at all) for Kevin Kolb(notes) to take over as the starter. It's always seemed like there's been a groundswell of people who wanted to push McNabb out the door and find someone new.

At the very least, I think it's fair to say that McNabb has never enjoyed the kind of universal support that Brady has in New England, Manning has in Indianapolis or Ben Roethlisberger(notes) has in Pittsburgh. Even second-tier guys like Kurt Warner(notes), Drew Brees(notes) and Eli Manning(notes) seem to have more support in their cities.

McNabb's given his all to the franchise, in times when they've provided him with a good supporting cast, and in the times where they haven't. I just wonder if he felt a tiny bit underappreciated last night when a convicted felon walked into the game and got the kinds of cheers that McNabb hears way too infrequently.

Claiming McNabb is not a good QB is just wrong. Hasn't he been to 5 conference championships and a SB? Some of you just crack me up.

watch him every week then talk to me.

you have no idea, Mcnabb has lost his fire, gotten complacent , whatever- so extremely hard to really root for anymore. I LOVE The Eagles, and of course want the team to do well, but I personally am in favor of a change.......

Edited by Marauders11

Yesterday, Mike & Mike were talking about the 49ers trading for him, but I think it was total speculation.

Oh please please PLEASE let it be :D I will even use my poker "ONE TIME" on this one. Because unlike others I do think he's a very good QB! :wacko: And as much as the niners threw the last half of the year might as well let McNabb toss it around for a few years and see what can happen with an up and coming team :D

let McNabb toss it around for a few years and see what can happen with an up and coming team :wacko:

Which is precisely the argument some are making that he should stay here. Let him really gel with Jackson/Maclin/Celek, let McCoy solidify the running game...

the bigger issue in Philly is fixing the defense...we need some real playmakers at DL and OLB, and potentially in the secondary. not sure the team can overhaul the defense, and also try to instill a new QB, and not skip a beat.

Which is precisely the argument some are making that he should stay here. Let him really gel with Jackson/Maclin/Celek, let McCoy solidify the running game...

the bigger issue in Philly is fixing the defense...we need some real playmakers at DL and OLB, and potentially in the secondary. not sure the team can overhaul the defense, and also try to instill a new QB, and not skip a beat.

losing Bradley was HUGH this year....with him back at MLB and Spoon at WLB and then having the depth of Gaither, Jordan, White for those 2 positions and Gocong and Foiku at SLB(Think Foiku is starter next year) then the LB corps isn't bad at all....FS looks to be a problem but that should be an easy fix or so I hope...DL needs help for sure...I would LOVE to see them go after Peppers but I highly doubt it would ever happen so we will need to look at FA and the draft to address the DL.