[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marvin Harrison

PaulOttCarruth

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4826851

Philadelphia police have enlisted the FBI to help investigate whether the fatal shooting of a convicted drug dealer last July is related to an earlier incident in which the victim claimed that he was shot by former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison, ESPN has learned.

The victim, Dwight Dixon, was killed in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia on July 21, 2009, when a gunman approached the driver's side of his Toyota Camry and fired four times, shot through the back window, and then fired two more times into the passenger side. Video surveillance taken by a camera at a nearby store shows the gunman -- wearing a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and white sneakers -- fleeing with his head lowered and face obscured. Dixon was struck in the chest, stomach and arm.

The location is a few blocks from a car wash owned by Harrison, and down the street from his bar called Playmakers.

Moments after the shooting, Dixon told police who rushed to the scene that he believed the incident was related to an April 2008 assault in the same neighborhood, in which his truck was sprayed with gunfire and he suffered a bullet hole in his left hand.

Dixon, 33, lapsed into a coma a before he could be interviewed by police. He died on Sept. 4 from the wounds. The Philadelphia police department still considers the case open and active.

Harrison, a 13-year NFL veteran, was released at his own request by the Colts at the end of the 2008 season after being asked to take a pay cut. He did not play in 2009.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN's E:60 before the July 21 shooting, Dixon went into extensive detail about a shooting on April 29, 2008. He said that Harrison shot at him after the two had gotten into an altercation outside of the West Thompson Street car wash called Chuckie's.

"He raises the guns up and started shooting," Dixon said in the interview. "He raised both his hands up and started shooting at [my] truck."

When asked how many shots were fired, Dixon said, "Too many to count." He said his truck was so riddled by bullets, "the tires were all shot out, the windows were shot out."

Harrison has denied Dixon's claims, which are also part of a pending civil suit. Although police ballistics tests show that a gun registered to Harrison was used in the incident -- a Belgian-made semiautomatic pistol -- he insisted that he did not have it with him that day.

Through his attorney, Jerome Brown, Harrison declined to comment.

As ESPN the Magazine reported last January, a second witness, Robert Nixon, also told police that he saw Harrison fire a gun. Nixon, who was wounded in the back by stray gunfire, filed a civil suit against Harrison last July, claiming that the ex-wide receiver "continued shooting at the other person ... as [he] drove past plaintiff. In doing so, a bullet from defendant's handgun struck plaintiff in the back with great force and violence."

After an investigation, the Philadelphia district attorney's office announced that it was not bringing charges in connection with that incident.

"I'm pretty comfortable I know who fired the gun," district attorney Lynn Abraham, who has since left the job, said at the time. But she added that she was could not go forward with just the statements of Nixon and Dixon. "With these witnesses, I don't think so," she said.

Dixon's death, however, has put the 2008 case back on the front burner. In September, Philadelphia voters went to the polls and elected a new district attorney, ex-proscutor Seth Williams. And now, a task force of elite Philadelphia homicide investigators and the FBI is taking a fresh look it.

"We're looking for a motive of who would want to kill Dixon, so it's common sense to go back to that first shooting," a law enforcement source said. The source said that the FBI is helping to comb through old evidence and seek out new informants, one of whom has already been said to have supplied fresh information.

Amazing how this guy was looked at as one of the NFL's "good guys" for so long.

From what I can tell, the facts are no different than they were a couple days after the story broke. Nothing new except the FBI is looking into it.

No mention of the fact that Dixon changed his story about who shot him? Or that he was actually charged and convicted of lying to police about the incident?

I'm not saying Harrison is innocent, but that deserved a mention. And does a bullet ever strike you without "great force and violence"? :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

A man who says he was shot by Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was convicted of a misdemeanor Wednesday for lying to Philadelphia police about the shooting.

A municipal court judge acquitted Dwight Dixon of two related misdemeanors after tossing out two of three statements he gave police, who had evicted Dixon's lawyer from his hospital room after the shooting.

Dixon, 32, initially told police his name was Malik Turner and that he was shot by two strangers who robbed him in West Philadelphia, several officers testified. Dixon had been shot in the hand and apparently struck in the head with a gun in the April 28 incident.

Police took him from the hospital to a police station, where they interviewed him twice more. Dixon eventually told a homicide detective his real name and said he was shot at the North Philadelphia location, Detective Omar Jenkins testified.

From what I can tell, the facts are no different than they were a couple days after the story broke. Nothing new except the FBI is looking into it.

No mention of the fact that Dixon changed his story about who shot him? Or that he was actually charged and convicted of lying to police about the incident?

I'm not saying Harrison is innocent, but that deserved a mention. And does a bullet ever strike you without "great force and violence"? :wacko:

Well you should presume him innocent until proven otherwise.

Dixon, 33, lapsed into a coma a before he could be interviewed by police. He died on Sept. 4 from the wounds. The Philadelphia police department still considers the case open and active.

Dixon's death, however, has put the 2008 case back on the front burner. In September, Philadelphia voters went to the polls and elected a new district attorney, ex-proscutor Seth Williams. And now, a task force of elite Philadelphia homicide investigators and the FBI is taking a fresh look it.

So a shooting happens in April of 2008. Someone involved in that shooting dies in September also when a new prosecutor is elected. And it's now the original case is "back on the front burner"? Must be a very low simmer...

I'm not saying Harrison is innocent
Well you should presume him innocent until proven otherwise.
He didn't say he was guilty either.

And does a bullet ever strike you without "great force and violence"? :wacko:

A few years back, a former coworker of mine was hit in the back of the head by a stray bullet. He went to the hospital because it hurt and, well, he'd been shot in the head, but I don't believe it even broke the skin. He was back at work the next day.

Of course, while that was not with great force, I would still argue that it was violent.

yeah, I can see why they'd have a hard time feeling comfortable with those guys as witnesses. the bullet that is lodged in Nixon's neck would go a long way in proving if his story is true. I find it remarkable that they haven't removed it and had it tested.

Trouble here is the witnesses they find are are pretty bad people themselves. I doubt if I'd believe them.

Well if Marvin does end up in jail he could

The comments on this are hilarious! "Do you work with tools or just beat your meat?" :wacko:

Trouble here is the witnesses they find are are pretty bad people themselves. I doubt if I'd believe them.

Well if Marvin does end up in jail he could

Something's up with Marvin. For anyone following this story the past few years, it's obvious. But Marvin is innocent until proven guilty. As is everyone involved in this mess. However... Marvin was clever to roll with people who if they became witnesses or victims their credibility can and will be immediately questioned. Cases like these are almost ALWAYS like that. Criminals, unfortunately, are usually not witnessed committing crimes by a bus of full of nuns, all with better than 20/20 vision, and up close. With this mess it begs the ultimate credibility question, who has the most to lose? I think the answer to that question given the whole story is obvious.