[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deuce

Big Ernie McCracken

Or they just want to get a ring for one of the all-time great Saints. :wacko:

I doubt the Saints are just being nostalgic with a chance to play for the NFC championship on the line. I guess they must feel he has something left in the tank and with the Star caps case up in the air, his four game suspension is on hold. He was always a good reciever and pass blocker and was pretty effective in goal line packages. If he stayed in shape, he could be effective on some level for a 3 game stretch as he should feel pretty fresh and far removed from any of his many injuries.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

I would say it's a PR move to get the fans excited for the Saints again after a four week slump, or they just want to get a ring for one of the all-time great Saints. :wacko:

:D And you vowed to never have him on any of your teams again.

Again, I'd be shocked if the Saints were thinking about the Superbowl. They have 2 games to win, one against Warner who was on fire last week and another against either Minny or a Dallas team that manhandled them. I wouldn't say he's a lock to see action but with Thomas dinged and Bell ineffective it doesn't make sense to add him if they wouldn't consider using him.

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken

Again, I'd be shocked if the Saints were thinking about the Superbowl. They have 2 games to win, one against Warner who was on fire last week and another against either Minny or a Dallas team that manhandled them. I wouldn't say he's a lock to see action but with Thomas dinged and Bell ineffective it doesn't make sense to add him if they wouldn't consider using him.

The most I see coming from Deuce is lead blocker or a gift TD in the Big Game ala William Perry. You never know though. McKenzie looked pretty damned good against the Patriots after the long layoff. I am just not sure Deuce has been able to stay in the shape that MM did.

Edited by tbimm

Sounds ceremonial...

"I'm speechless," McAllister said. "I don't know that there are words to describe this feeling. I do know that we have some unfinished business that we started a few years ago and we want to finish the deal."

"Deuce is a huge part of the history of our club and of what has gotten this team to where we are today and we absolutely wanted him with us as we head into the playoffs," Loomis said.

"Deuce McAllister has always embodied the spirit of the New Orleans Saints and the city of New Orleans," Payton said. "We're excited to have him back with the team and to have him lead us out on to the field tomorrow."

Maybe they can get Archie Manning in there as the emergency QB? :wacko:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/...ister_will.html

Tailback Deuce McAllister will be inactive, serve as captain for Saturday's playoff game

Saints Coach Sean Payton said tailback Deuce McAllister was signed to lead the team out onto the field and serve as a captain, but not to play in Saturday's playoff opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

Originally, McAllister had agreed to serve as a guest captain for the game to help fire up the team and the fans. Then when defensive tackle Rodney Leisle suffered a knee injury, General Manager Mickey Loomis suggested that they should sign McAllister to the roster to make him an official part of the team.

McAllister, who has not been with a team since the Saints released him in February, isn't quite ready to jump right back into the action, though.

"This is more about doing something the right way and bringing the guy back," said Payton, who said he contacted McAllister about three weeks ago to see if he would be available.

McAllister joined the Saints for Friday's walk-through practice and will be with the team at the hotel tonight. Payton showe dthe players a breakdown of McAllister's career highlights during Friday's video presentation -- including his outstanding performance in the 2006-07 divisional playoff round victory over Philadelphia.

"It was a good deal. It was awesome," Payton said of the team's response to McAllister's return. "And it was fitting because of the way he had played in the divisional round for us three years ago."

Now that he's on the official roster, McAllister will also earn a playoff share of $21,000 from a league pool.

Edited by myhousekey

I doubt the Saints are just being nostalgic with a chance to play for the NFC championship on the line. I guess they must feel he has something left in the tank and with the Star caps case up in the air, his four game suspension is on hold. He was always a good reciever and pass blocker and was pretty effective in goal line packages. If he stayed in shape, he could be effective on some level for a 3 game stretch as he should feel pretty fresh and far removed from any of his many injuries.

:wacko:

:D

Sounds ceremonial...

Maybe they can get Archie Manning in there as the emergency QB? :D

Maybe you should stick to Portis threads, Mr. McCracken. :D

Point of order.

It may also be because I believe that DM has had some financial problems in the last year --- iirc, he owned a car dealership that was sucked under by the economic issues of the last year or so. Also, related to that, iirc, he's facing lots of pressure from banks, etc. may be facing bankruptcy. FWIW.

I would say it's a PR move to get the fans excited for the Saints again after a four week slump, or they just want to get a ring for one of the all-time great Saints. :wacko:

Both. He might get a token carry if they continue on but that's it - at most. So what, good for him.

I wonder if the NFL has a grandfather clause about the "Dempsey rule"

In 1977, the NFL added a rule, informally known as the "Tom Dempsey Rule," that "any shoe that is worn by a player with an artificial limb on his kicking leg must have a kicking surface that conforms to that of a normal kicking shoe."

:wacko:

I wonder if the NFL has a grandfather clause about the "Dempsey rule"

In 1977, the NFL added a rule, informally known as the "Tom Dempsey Rule," that "any shoe that is worn by a player with an artificial limb on his kicking leg must have a kicking surface that conforms to that of a normal kicking shoe."

Stupid rule IMO. If anything, the shortened foot should have hindered his accuracy & especially his distance. That was all leg. :wacko:

Sean Payton on Sirius: "The good thing is that Deuce gets a playoff paycheck. The bad news is that he's 28 pounds overweight and the fine is greater than the paycheck."

I'm sure that is one fine that gets waived or taken care of by others.