[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ed Reed thinking retirement?

piratesownninjas

He's tired, he's been hurt all year, he's still banged up, his team just lost, and he's over 30 in a young man's game ... of course he's 50/50 on retirement. Give him a couple of days and his agent will whisper dollar signs in his ear. Give him a couple weeks and his body will whisper feel goods in his ear. Give him a couple months and Ravens will whisper y'all come backs in his ear ... And he'll be back.

Dumb comment. Reed is still one of the top secondary defenders in the league.

Really? I can think of several guys I'd rather have. He missed four games to injury this year. He's 31. I don't think of him as the #1 safety in the NFL anymore. He's not gonna make the Super Bowl. So I'm not sure what he's on "top" of. Elway retired on top. Isn't that what it means? Is Warner retiring on top too?

Edited by CaptainHook

Really? I can think of several guys I'd rather have. He missed four games to injury this year. He's 31. I don't think of him as the #1 safety in the NFL anymore. He's not gonna make the Super Bowl. So I'm not sure what he's on "top" of. Elway retired on top. Isn't that what it means? Is Warner retiring on top too?

I think your definition of "on top" and mine differ. To me, it means before sliding down the backside of a career a la Emmitt Smith. It doesn't mean you've got to retire holding the Lombardi Trophy.

I can see that. He did make the Pro Bowl this year. (Although I think that's because of the lack of healthy safeties in the AFC this year with no Polamalu or Sanders) even though he missed 4 games. I think he's on the downside of his career, but not like Emmitt Smith in Arizona. I guess in my opinion, if you retire healthy, leading the league at your postition (make Pro Bowl, All-Pro Team) I'd consider that "on top". Or if you win the Super Bowl.

He did make the Pro Bowl this year. (Although I think that's because of the lack of healthy safeties in the AFC this year with no Polamalu or Sanders) even though he missed 4 games.

Arguing against myself here but maybe he made it on name recognition, a hugh problem in both football and (especially) baseball. It's a side note but I'm opposed to fan voting in these things though I understand why the leagues do it.

Still, Reed is not (yet) on the skids as his two INTs yesterday showed (awesome play by Garcon to negate one and stupid penalty to negate the other).

Yeah, he played well last night. I've just seen a lot of negative stuff about his play this year overall by Baltimore fans.

Funny fact, I think the leading fan-vote kicker for the Pro Bowl this year was Adam Vinatieri. And he's been hurt all year. Thankfully the fans vote only counts for 1/3, so coaches and other players make up for idiot fan votes. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure who I would put in the Pro Bowl at FS for the AFC. I don't think a guy who misses a quarter of the season deserves it. I do think Bethea got snubbed this year, but he's not in the same class as a healthy Reed, Polamalu, and Sanders.