[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP!

CaptainHook

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want ironic? What if Favre get to face the Jets in the Super Bowl...

whoa...

Jets have had what now, 5 missed FG against them? This can't continue.

Can it?

Not really, just referencing Ryan's craziness, with his "schedule thru the Supe to the parade". :D .

No, you weren't. :D

Really looking forward to THIS one! LOL... Ryan's Jets in the Supe? With a rookie QB? :wacko:

:D

The pressure is all on Indy.

This I agree with.

Edited by CaptainHook

So, Hook (and other Colts fans) how do you see this matchup?

The Jets defense is playing at the top of their game now. Rex Ryan actually apologized to Jets fans for "softening up" during that 4th quarter SD drive, he said it was to let them dink and dunk down the field to eat clock and to avoid giving up the big play. I always hate that approach, why not stick with what was working the entire game? If the Jets didn't have a two score lead, I don't know if SD gets that second TD. You can point to the two missed FG's (not counting the 58 yard attempt) and think that's why SD lost, but if the Jets were protecting a small lead, they keep up thast pressure on he SD offense.

Colts D is a speed D, designed to play with a lead and pressure the QB. I'm not sure that is such a good matchup against the Jets power rushing game. The Jets will have to try to keep it close in the first half like they did against SD and try to wear the Indy D down as the game goes on. Manning is better at beating the blitz than Rivers is, and he won't rattle the way Rivers did either.

The Jets started in zone against SD, and it didn't work that well. They went to zone because VJ isn't the WR Wayne is. They moved Revis around more because they were worried about Gates, Sproles and the other SD WR's just as much. No doubt, Revis will play Wayne in man from the start. That still leaves a lot of other dangerous targets for Manning to hit, even if one wants to assume Revis can in fact limit Wayne, which is not an automatic by any means.

Indy won't make the mistake of running too often on first down either, the way SD did, creating a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs. The Jets LB's should be able to cover Addai out of the backfield, but Clark, Collie and Garcon will be very hard to cover.

Sanchez will have to do much more than he did against SD too. The Jets will need at least one defensive score or one long TD on offense. They will probably have to go +2 in turnovers. A very tall order. No doubt, Manning is the best QB of this era in the NFL. I felt more confident against SD. for sure. But, the Jets are playing with house money. Ryan had better not go conservative whatsoever against the Colts too. Not even if it's late with a lead.

I don't think Reggie Wayne will kick a challenge flag either. :wacko:

Never underestimate anyone in the AFC Championship. I'm nervous, but excited. Should be a great game.

Glad to see both Jets fans calling for a Jets victory this early. It goes against what's worked for them so far. :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

Never underestimate anyone in the AFC Championship. Glad to see both Jets fans calling for a Jets victory this early. It goes against what's worked for them so far. :wacko:

+1

This time the Jets see the real offense for more than just a half!!

Never underestimate anyone in the AFC Championship. I'm nervous, but excited. Should be a great game.

Glad to see both Jets fans calling for a Jets victory this early. It goes against what's worked for them so far. :D

There's only 2 Jets fans? :wacko:

Glad to see both Jets fans calling for a Jets victory this early. It goes against what's worked for them so far. :wacko:

I think you missed post # 30. I am by far less optomistic about this game than the SD game.

Here's how I see the game:

For starters, my son and I were watching the Chargers-Jets yesterday and were somewhat stunned to see the Jets offense - Run, run, pass. Run, run, pass.

You give them a chance to hang around, and they do eventually grind you down. That said, I see the Colts scoring at least 17 in the 1st half and forcing the Jets to have to throw more than they're used to. That in turn will give Freeney and Mathis a chance to pressure Sanchez.

I also don't see the Colts committing nearly as many penalties as the Chargers did or missing three FGs.

The run game scares me some, because the Jets will stay committed to it. Our run defense has got to be on it big time. I'm not at all worried about Sanchez.

Look for Dallas Clark to have a big game - especially if they iso Revis on Wayne like they did in the 1st game. If they spread him around like they did vs. Chargers, Manning will pick them apart wherever he isn't. I'll give Revis this - he's THAT good.

In the end, Colts 27, Jets 13.

Here's how I see the game:

For starters, my son and I were watching the Chargers-Jets yesterday and were somewhat stunned to see the Jets offense - Run, run, pass. Run, run, pass.

You give them a chance to hang around, and they do eventually grind you down. That said, I see the Colts scoring at least 17 in the 1st half and forcing the Jets to have to throw more than they're used to. That in turn will give Freeney and Mathis a chance to pressure Sanchez.

I also don't see the Colts committing nearly as many penalties as the Chargers did or missing three FGs.

The run game scares me some, because the Jets will stay committed to it. Our run defense has got to be on it big time. I'm not at all worried about Sanchez.

Look for Dallas Clark to have a big game - especially if they iso Revis on Wayne like they did in the 1st game. If they spread him around like they did vs. Chargers, Manning will pick them apart wherever he isn't. I'll give Revis this - he's THAT good.

In the end, Colts 27, Jets 13.

Even if the Jets go down by 14, they will stick with the running game unless it gets very late. Ryan is going to have to pull some rabbits out of his hat on defense or it could be over in the first half. The thing is, Manning just reads the blitz so well, reads the D so well, and gets rid of the ball so fast... the best I can hope for is a repeat of the first half from week 16.

Rhodes is the weakest link, and he'll likely be covering Clark. I think Clark has a monster game. When I look at Indy, I sometimes wonder how they won so many close games. The offense looks unstoppable, how did teams manage to stay close? The Ravens held them in the regular season, but sure didn't in the playoff game.

One good thing, Manning has been very good against Rex Ryan's style of D. Blitzing defenses usually allow big plays.

The Colts have struggled against teams that play their safeties deep, keeping everything in front of them, and mixing up their fronts.

Turnovers will be the key in this game.

I don't like the fact that Maning has spanked Ryan's defenses in the past. I didn't like that the Jets came out in zone against SD. When they switched to man coverage and jammed the recievers, it threw SD off their game. Problem is, I don't know if that will work against Manning. Even if Revis can shut down Wayne, Clark, Garcon and Collie remain dangerous and difficult to cover. Kerry Rhodes can make some big plays, but at the expense of being lousy in coverage often. I expect Manning to throw at Rhodes as often as possible.

Ryan has one advantage, in that he has game planned against Manning in big games 4 times. I think he will dial up something different this time. While the Jets are very predticable on offense, they can be very unpredictable on defense. The key thing in this game to me is how well the Jets can disguise their coverage and blitzes pre-snap. That isn't a good thing for the Jets, because no one reads defenses better than Manning. This is where the game will be won or lost IMO. Advantage: Colts

I don't agree that the Jets have to finish the first half with a lead however, but they can't be behind by 10 or more points. The Jets running game is usaully better in the second half, after the defense tires a bit. The Jets can give up some points in the first half, but need to win time of possession, both to keep their own defense fresh, and to wear the Colts defense down. If they do that, I think they can win the 2nd half.

Sanchez HAS to make some plays. Of course, I said that before the SD game too, but I think he needs to connect on at least one long passing play, preferabley in the first half, throw for 175 yards with no INT's. The Colts CB's can be had, but is Sanchez good enough yet to do that?

My head says 27-20 Colts.

My heart says 24-20 Jets.

The thing about being a Jets fan for this game is... as long as we don't get blown out, it's been a great season. If the Jets lose, the nucleus of the team is young, the future looks bright, and we never expected to get this far. This isn't just house money. It's more like some gift from above, some sort of pre-ordained destiny. We haven't been in the AFC Championship game in what seems like forever. It almost feels like we won the SB already. It's all gravy from here.

I wonder how much pressure the Colts feel here, especially with the week 16 fiasco. The Jets seem to be as loose as they can be, but still confident. I suspect after the first play, it doesn't mean much... on the other hand...

These teams couldn't be more different. Jets rely on running and D, Colts are almost all Manning and the pass. I guess you could say this about a lot of games, but whoever makes the fewest mistakes (not just turnovers but giving up big plays, key penalties etc) wins. IMO Sanchez is really key. We know the Jets will run on the Colts and likely run very well. But Sanchez will need to be at least respectable enough to keep the Colt D honest and take care of the ball.

As a Colts fan I don't like the matchup at all and foresee an upset. Frankly I would have preferred SD, despite the Colts' bad playoff record w/them lately. SD has a lesser defense and doesn't have squat for a running game which plays into their hands a lot better.

Edited by BeeR