[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?

Chief Dick

If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?

• Yes
    • No
    • not sure
    • I will watch Puddy breakdance

On the heels of Stanky's post, what say you?

This may be the final straw with me. I've become increasingly disenfranchised due to attitudes and behavior, not to mention the quest for greed.

I'm not sure if I would. I know I wouldn't come back as soon as possible. Hearing Millionaires bitching to billionaires about millions and millions of dollars makes me want to slap the crap out of the NFLPA. Player salaries have gotten out of control. I wonder what these guys would do if they had to get a real job for real money isntead of playing a game for Jerry Jone money.

I'm not sure if I would. I know I wouldn't come back as soon as possible. Hearing Millionaires bitching to billionaires about millions and millions of dollars makes me want to slap the crap out of the NFLPA. Player salaries have gotten out of control. I wonder what these guys would do if they had to get a real job for real money isntead of playing a game for Jerry Jone money.
And the only reason why player salaries have gotten out of control is because owners and NFL brass have let it get out of control. Both sides are culpable for the mess that likely will happen in 2011. And the one group will probably get screwed the most, aside from the fans not having NFL football, is the local governments that have helped finance the newer stadiums, or otherwise rely on their operation on game day for tax revenue.

The problem is, they haven't even got a proposal ready to take to a vote. The NFLPA and owners are arguing over what percentage of league revenues go to player salaries, and what the owners get to keep. And they aren't budging. If the can't even agree on that, they aren't close to having a proposal ready.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if there's a labor stoppage, it wouldn't be the players striking, but rather the owners locking them out.

And ya - I'd be back. The business of sports is just that, the business. That's not why I like it. I like it for the game on the field.

How does the union work? do they simply do a vote on a proposal or decision to strike and go with the majority vote?

Cuz most players make near-ish minimum wage and can't afford to miss a year of income. Also, the player just have to know that the overall salary pool of money would go down without a salary cap since many teams would pay less and only the studs would get the big bucks from a few teams, yeah?

The NFL minimum wage is still over $300k. What makes me laugh is, knowing full well that a work stoppage after next year is highly likely, I'll bet the majority of NFL players won't change their lifestyles in preparation for having no income. They will essentially be gambling on there being a new CBA before the 2011 season is lost. But I'd also be willing to bet that almost every Huddler on these boards could make $300k last two years (after taxes it's a lot less, I know, but it would still last).

And to answer the question brought up in this thread, I'd be back as soon as the NFL was back.

I'd rather see a work stoppage - even for a full season - than an uncapped year. Once the cap goes away, this sport becomes like baseball and that would do more harm than a lockout to prevent that from happening.

This. No cap and the game is on the skids. Jerry Jones and Snyder buy up everyone. I'm pretty sure everyone knows this, including the players. There's a lot to balance here and you wonder if the well is beginning to run dry. For instance, TV makes hugh losses on football because advertising just can't cover the NFL price. How long will they want to continue that arrangement?

Peter King had a good article on it. Threw it on my blog as well, everyone should at least know the details behind it which is what he explains so well.

This is interesting from the article:

In NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith's recent e-mail to player representatives, he startled player leaders by saying ownership wanted to cut player compensation by 18 percent per year in the new CBA.

I thought the 18 percent number might be an exaggeration, a scare tactic to get players' attention. It's not. The owners, one management source said, have asked that the players' pool of revenue against which the salary cap is calculated be reduced by 18 percent.

The players' response, a union source told me, is that they're not prepared to take a penny, or a percentage point, less. While Smith, in his letter to players, didn't dismiss the possibility of negotiating on the issue, he wrote that there has been no compelling information presented to players to justify such a major reduction in what players make.

There is one thing that might make the players look at this again - guaranteed contracts.

A couple things. For starters, 2010 WILL be uncapped. If they don't have a new CBA in place by March 10 of this year I believe, 2010 is uncapped. That's gonna happen so get used to the idea.

The work stoppage is a 2011 thing. My guess is that all sides know there's a golden goose they're playing with and they'll figure out a way to get something resolved so there will not be a work stoppage (ie - the owners lockng the players out).

There are two things at work - one is that the owners themselves need to agree on what a workable revenue sharing plan is going forward. The Cowboys of the world and the Bills of the world have got to both be able to operate profitably. The problem is that there are such disparate revenue opportunities available to a team like Dallas. On the one hand you can't blame a Jerry Jones for wanting to make as much as he can and not subsidize a Buffalo, but on the other, without the Buffalos of the NFL being able to compete, the very thing that makes the NFL great (competitive balance) is lost. A fine line to be walked by the owners.

The other thing is that yes, I do believe the players make too great a percentage of the pool. They're gonna have to re-do their side of the deal also. One thing that, IMO, has to come out of this is a rookie wage scale. Guys like Jamarcus Russell cannot continue to get $30M guaranteed contracts without playing a down. This I think will get done. The only ones who should be against it are the agents. Less money to rookies means more money for active players in the NFLPA. Win-win on that one. Maybe doing this will break some ground for guaranteeing a greater portion of contracts.

It'll be interesting for sure.

The work stoppage is a 2011 thing. My guess is that all sides know there's a golden goose they're playing with and they'll figure out a way to get something resolved so there will not be a work stoppage (ie - the owners lockng the players out).

This is what I'm hoping. Both sides are digging in right now. But when they get down to crunch time, something will hopefully get done.

A rookie wage scale is definitely needed. These big rookie contracts have gotten way out of control.

Hub Arkush of PFW says a "source" told him some of the owners, led by -- guess who -- Snyder and JJ want to break the players' union once and for all and do away with revenue sharing altogether. Getting rid of revenue sharing would be the worst mistake they could make IMHO.