[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?

Chief Dick

If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. If the NFL strikes in 2011, will you ever come back?

• Yes
    • No
    • not sure
    • I will watch Puddy breakdance

This is what I'm hoping. Both sides are digging in right now. But when they get down to crunch time, something will hopefully get done.

A rookie wage scale is definitely needed. These big rookie contracts have gotten way out of control.

Hub Arkush of PFW says a "source" told him some of the owners, led by -- guess who -- Snyder and JJ want to break the players' union once and for all and do away with revenue sharing altogether. Getting rid of revenue sharing would be the worst mistake they could make IMHO.

If they eliminate revenue sharing, then we have baseball. And baseball sucks.

Hub Arkush of PFW says a "source" told him some of the owners, led by -- guess who -- Snyder and JJ want to break the players' union once and for all and do away with revenue sharing altogether. Getting rid of revenue sharing would be the worst mistake they could make IMHO.

You guys need to ad Kraft in when talking about Snyder and Jerry. He's just as twisted and evil.

How does the union work?

Like all unions, the union works first to ensure the union itself makes money -- not what's best for members or even what the majority of them want, but what's best for the union's own management and their interests.

The answer in the NFL is redistributing the wealth from the unproven draftees to the players who have proven themselves and giving first two rounders a solid life of reasonable wealth while still having something to work for. Even the NFL money machine can't support outrageous salaries for alllll players -- so if they go after that, they're headd to failure. However, it could support a more reasonable rookie salary structure to free existing dollars (and likely add new dollars) to devote to heightened veteran salaries (for the non-stars who aren't making what they should compared to the unproved draftees) and provide benefits for former players.

Not a complicated premise, but it demands honest financials and less rhetoric from the owners and less greed and less misrepresentation from the union negotiating team.

Cuz most players make near-ish minimum wage and can't afford to miss a year of income.
I'm predicting we'll start seeing Sally Struthers start advertising the Save The Players fund.

"For only $800/day, you can help provide 3 nutritious meals, world class training regimen, and a mortgage payment for a 5000 sq ft house to a deserving NFL rookie. For only $2500/day, you can help provide all the above plus advanced physical therapy, additional rest days, a little extra for paying league fines, and a little insurance cushion for contract holdouts. Please....think of the players."

it took me almost 15 years to come back to baseball after the strike....football may not be nearly as long, but I would definitely take a break....

if the NHL had more outdoor games, I'd start watching it more and it could easily replace football for me if they went the spiteful route and had a strike...