[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tony Romo

Jienx

I don't know what it is about Tony Romo that causes people to react the way they do, but it's ludicrous. Since the loss on Sunday, comments on the radio ond on forums have ranged from, "he choked again," to "the organization needs to get rid of him he's not the answer." Tony Romo didn't choke on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

No quarterback in the NFL, that includes Manning, Brady, Rivers, Warner, Brees etc, would've been successfull with that pass protection, against that pass rush. Not one. I'll give you the INT was unforgivable, but to say Romo choked the game away is just hating.

People cite "December woes" as a reason why he's not the answer. Excluding Vick who threw 4 passes, Romo had the 5th best QB rating in the month of December, ahead of Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Warner. He was third in yards, and threw 7 touchdowns to only 1 INT, and NO fumbles.

He was practically flawless against the Eagles in the last week of the season to win the NFC East, and again the following week to eliminate the same team to win his first playoff game. Both games meant a lot, both games held alot of pressure and expectations over Romo and he came out and balled out of his backside.

Sunday was rough, it was ugly...But Romo grew in leaps this year, limiting his INTs to 9, and taking much better care of the ball. His stats are right up there with all the top QBs, and his W/L ratio has gotta be right up there as well.

Is it the star on the side of his helmet? Is it because he was overhyped like crazy from the start? I don't get it. Romo gets singled out for things you could call a dozen other QBs out for.

I know the replies I'm gonna get, I guess I just needed to vent.

Tony Romo didn't choke on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings.

Correct. It's a team game and while rarely one player "chokes" and essentially gives a game away in a meltdown, that wasn't the case vs Minne. Romo didn't heroically rise to the occassion by any means, but there is plenty of responsibility to share with many Dallas players in this one -- hello, can someone block? Earth calling Roy Williams? Anybody want to play pass defense? Wanna pressure Favre? Etc ... The Vikings simply and thoroughly outcoached and outplayed the Cowboys -- Purple just slapped the 'Boys around. Romo is not the kind who is going to heroically carry a team on a regular basis -- but he's a solid QB and can win games if the rest of his team is doing their jobs. This loss isn't on him.

But Jerry will need to find someone to blame ...

Romo grew up this year. I was very iffy on him after melting down the past few years and his terrible ball protection and decisions. This year he righted the ship. Imo this loss is on the O line. They were manhandled and Romo ran for his life all day. The int was horrible. Other than that I think he just had zero time to do anything

This year made me 100 % a believer in him. I'm proud to support him as our franchise qb

No quarterback in the NFL, that includes Manning, Brady, Rivers, Warner, Brees etc, would've been successfull with that pass protection, against that pass rush. Not one. I'll give you the INT was unforgivable, but to say Romo choked the game away is just hating.

To prove your point, Warner wasn't successful against that type of pass rush Saturday. Got him visibly frustrated and ultimately knocked out.

And actually, I can forgive the interception. It was a by product of the type of rush that the Vikings had been generating in that 1st half. I doubt he was seeing much of the field that afternoon with the way they had been closing in on him.

I think next year is a make or break year for this team as it is currently set up, from coaching staff to players. Should be interesting to watch.

At the beginning of the year, I was publicly bashing Romo. I was wrong. As others have said, he grew up and showed me something this year. He's probably not going to put a team on his back and make his WR great a-la Favre or Brady. That being said, the loss Sunday wasn't anywhere near his fault. In fact, I'd lay it more at Garrett's feet with the play-calling. You can negate a rush with play calling, but I didn't see many slants, sweeps, etc. I don't think this was Romo's fault at all.

Early in the game, the Vikings sent an all out blitz at Romo and the Cowboys front Line completely and totally nullified it. Romo had all day to find an open receiver on that play. I was thinking that if the Vikings couldn't get even a little pressure when in an all out blitz, that there was no way we could win. I don't know what happened after that... maybe it was coaching... maybe it was Vikings players just stepping up, or Cowboys players letting down... maybe Flozell Adams was the difference... maybe it was the crowd... either way something major changed after that and I don't think there's any way that it could be solely (or even mostly) attributed to Romo.

QB's get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. It has been that way for quite some time. Romo is a very good QB, but, I think some of you are going overboard. Based on what he's done so far, I consider him a low tier 2 or high tier 3 QB.

QB's I'd take over Romo as my team's NFL QB::

Manning

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Rivers

Favre

Warner

I put him in the next group with Schaub, Eli & Matt Ryan, which isn't a bad thing, but, some are going overboard in his praise, just like others are doing the same in their being overly critical.

QB's get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. It has been that way for quite some time. Romo is a very good QB, but, I think some of you are going overboard. Based on what he's done so far, I consider him a low tier 2 or high tier 3 QB.

Manning

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Rivers

Favre

Warner

I put him in the next group with Schaub, Eli & Matt Ryan, which isn't a bad thing, but, some are going overboard in his praise, just like others are doing the same in their being overly critical.

You would take a 40 year old and a 38 year old over Romo? That's just ridiculous. Maybe we're interpreting the scenario differently and you're talking about one year and I'm talking about overall value. Not sure about Rodgers or Rivers either. The other ones are hard to argue.

Manning

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Rivers

Favre

Warner

I'd discount Favre and Warner because of age but I'd add Schaub. Not sure about Rivers at all but I'll give you Big Ben. I certainly wouldn't put Eli or Ryan (nor Cutler) in Romo's class yet.

If Romo stays heathy, he will get to the SB. I have no doubt about that. He is learning and getting better every year. Another draft to get a WR and some O line depth and we are there. Romo is going to have a great career. He was not the reason we lost Sunday. We need a playoff caliber kicker. If he makes those kicks the game is so different. On the road you can't keep giving the home team momentum and let the crowd gain enthusiasm. Missed kicks do just that, hype the crowd and demoralize the Cowboys. Not once did we get a spark to build on and that's too bad. The Cowboys are another year wiser and there is a lot of positives to build on for next year.

Romo did what he could but 6 sacks with blindside pressure stops any QB from feeling comfortable to go through his reads. Not only that but ajustments at the line were impossible in the Metrodome. The Vikings just took it to us plain a simple.

I am still proud of what this team did this year and Romo especially. The Cowboys has a bright future and knowing the SB is in Dallas next year will give added incentive.

He was not the reason we lost Sunday. We need a playoff caliber kicker. If he makes those kicks the game is so different. On the road you can't keep giving the home team momentum and let the crowd gain enthusiasm. Missed kicks do just that, hype the crowd and demoralize the Cowboys. Not once did we get a spark to build on and that's too bad.

So, in a 34-3 game, your "professional" opinion is that you lost because of the keeker? Just wanna make sure I'm picking up what you're putting down.

We need a playoff caliber kicker.

Seems to me that everyone does this year. Most would have said that Graham, Kaeding and Rackers were play-off caliber a couple weeks ago.

The bottom line, all you kicker haters out there, is that it is not easy and if kickers are going to be fired after missing one, like Suisham was, is it any wonder they feel even greater pressure?

I don't know what it is about Donovan McNabb that causes people to react the way they do, but it's ludicrous. Since the loss last Sunday, comments on the radio ond on forums have ranged from, "he choked again," to "the organization needs to get rid of him he's not the answer." McNabb didn't choke on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

No quarterback in the NFL, that includes Manning, Brady, Rivers, Warner, Brees etc, would've been successfull with that pass protection, against that pass rush. Not one. To say Mcnabb choked the game away is just hating.

People cite "Playoff woes" as a reason why he's not the answer, but yet has the 2nd best winning percentage in the playoffs among active QBs.

He was practically flawless against the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game last eyar, going for 3 DTs and 357 yard while leading his team back from a 21 point deficit and taking the lead midway thru the 4th quarter.

His stats are right up there with all the top QBs, and his W/L ratio has gotta be right up there as well.

Is it the Eagles on the side of his helmet? Is it because he was overhyped like crazy from the start? I don't get it. Mcnabb gets singled out for things you could call a dozen other QBs out for.

I know the replies I'm gonna get, I guess I just needed to vent.

I just basiclaly plugged one Qbs name in for another, and changed some stats...its something our Qb has lived with for 11 years. Jim Kelly lived with it. Marino lived with it. Until there is a ring on his finger, the criticism will continue to flow.

FWIW, while I am not sold completely on Romo, he grew more this year than I thought he would. For one year, I'd probably take all the QBs menudo lists to lead my team...but if Romo continues to improve at the pace with which he grew this year, that list will shrink to just a handful of names.

I gotta give you guys props. Went to bed thinking that this would've went a completely different direction and I was wrong. If this would've been posted on a certain other forum it would've went to a juvenile level. Ha.

I don't know if Romo will lead us to a Super Bowl, I know he has the tools, but it's a difficult task to get there, and win it.

It took Favre 5 seasons to get there, and potentially another 12 to return.

It took Manning till his 9th season?

Elway got there twice at the end of his long, illustrious career.

Marino never won one.

What I'm saying is, is that those are all great quarterbacks, and it's not one championship after another. The stars have to align, everything has to fall into place. Romo will be going into his, what, 5th year as a starter? He's 29 and has his best few years ahead of him, and I think his play this year showed he gets it.

We'll see.

As a Cowboys fan I'm just glad I don't have to talk about Quincy, Chad, Henson and Bledsoe. It could be worse.

Romo gives us hope.

You would take a 40 year old and a 38 year old over Romo? That's just ridiculous. Maybe we're interpreting the scenario differently and you're talking about one year and I'm talking about overall value. Not sure about Rodgers or Rivers either. The other ones are hard to argue.

I was talking about a one year scenario. Obviously starting from scratch and taking age into consideration changes things a bit.

I gotta give you guys props. Went to bed thinking that this would've went a completely different direction and I was wrong. If this would've been posted on a certain other forum it would've went to a juvenile level. Ha.

I don't know if Romo will lead us to a Super Bowl, I know he has the tools, but it's a difficult task to get there, and win it.

It took Favre 5 seasons to get there, and potentially another 12 to return.

It took Manning till his 9th season?

Elway got there twice at the end of his long, illustrious career.

Marino never won one.

What I'm saying is, is that those are all great quarterbacks, and it's not one championship after another. The stars have to align, everything has to fall into place. Romo will be going into his, what, 5th year as a starter? He's 29 and has his best few years ahead of him, and I think his play this year showed he gets it.

We'll see.

As a Cowboys fan I'm just glad I don't have to talk about Quincy, Chad, Henson and Bledsoe. It could be worse.

Romo gives us hope.

Manning came to a bad team, he was a top pick....while Romo came to a team that already had talent and was groomed for a few years under Parcells...the scenario's are very different...

So, in a 34-3 game, your "professional" opinion is that you lost because of the keeker? Just wanna make sure I'm picking up what you're putting down.

No, what I am saying is make those kicks and the Cowboys game plan and momentum could have made it a better game. This game is about momentum and the Vikings had it all game and you know as well as I do, when an Offense fights claws and scratches their way down the field and the kicker misses not one, but two kicks which would have brought us within one score that makes a difference. I would have made the Vikings press rather then play loose and confident up 14. When your out there and can affort to make a mistake you can play loose be more aggressive. Momentum at home is huge and the Cowboys kept coming away empty. That is demoralizing as a team and forces you to do things you wouln't normally do. In N.O. we got up quick and took the crowd out of it and put all the pressure on N.O. while this game was just the opposite. The Vikings are the better team and showed it. I just think the game could have been closer that's all. One weak link is all it takes to turn a game ugly, and it looks like we had a few.

I am not taking anything away from the Vikings as they proved they are a SuperBowl caliber team. They beat us in the trenches all day. I just know making those kicks lessens the desperation feeling. When you come away with points it lifts the team, when you don't it brings them down. That doesn't stop Romo from being on his back all game but still just sayin. In a game like that, you can't miss.

Now that I am over the loss, I am pulling for Favre and hope the Vikings get thier first ring. Would stick it to GB one more time. Romo will get plenty more opportunities while Favre is headed for retirement after perhaps the greatest career a QB could have.

At least we have hope for more championships with Romo, unlike the Eagles who have nothing at all to hope for so long as Mcnabb is leading his team to the couch and another season sweep by our Boys........... :wacko:

See ya Swamm, maybe next year you guys will give us a game huh...........at least we'll only have to stomp you twice on our way to the playoffs and perhaps another shinny new ring in the new Cowboys Palace. Maybe you guys will find your Romo but until then the Eagles are destined to be just another team to pad our stats on.......

Still took Manning 9 years to get there and win it, and they were good for a long time. Didn't he inherit a 3-13 team and the next year went 13-3? Or am I wrong? It wouldnt be the first time :wacko:

ETA: I'm not comparing Romo to Manning, only that not winning a championship in the early stages of your career doesn't mean you won't, or can't.

Edited by Jienx

Still took Manning 9 years to get there and win it, and they were good for a long time. Didn't he inherit a 3-13 team and the next year went 13-3? Or am I wrong? It wouldnt be the first time :wacko:

Close.

Colts were 3-13 in 1997 and 1998 (Manning's first year) then went 13-3 in 1999.