[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

49ers

thillman22

For comparison's sake:

Alex Smith played 11 games:

QB Rating 81.5 Comp. 225 Att. 372 % 60.5 Yards 2350 Yards/Gm 213.6 TD 18 INT 12

Carson Palmer played 16 games:

QB Rating 83.6 Comp. 282 Att. 466 % 60.5 Yards 3094 Yards/GM 193.4 TD 21 INT 13

I'm not saying Smith is Palmer, but their numbers are very similar, with Smith's TD total likely to be higher over 16 games since he averaged almost 2 TD's a game. I guess the question I'm posing is, if that is what Alex Smith is, Palmer on an average year, is that enough for them to be a playoff contender?

With Crabtree going through a full offseason, and potentially being a solid reciever in that offense I think Alex Smith can have a good, not great season next year and in a weak division, and in the NFC, where the Wild Card is usually anyone's to grab, I'd say there's an outside chance they could be a team to sneak in and ultimately be one and done in the playoffs.

Likely? Probably not. But stranger things have happened.

I think they still need a quarterback.

Something along these lines, yes.

As expected coming out of Utah, Alex Smith is solid from the gun and in the spread, but the 9ers become incompetent in the running game when this happens. But when they put Smith under center he forgets how to play QB.

If Smith can spend some time this offseason improving as QB1, they might be ok.

Though, bringing in a guy like McNabb would make them a lock for the playoffs imo... :wacko:

they may not NEED a QB...what they need is a serious OL.....then you can worry about who throws the ball for the Niners...

without protection, nobody will succeed as the QB for that team and the defense is fine as is, but still could use some improvement in the secondary and maybe a DLineman or two....

but if I was handling the draft for the 49ers come April, I'd go OL at least 3 of my 1st 4 picks...

I think Alex Smith can have a good, not great season next year and in a weak division, and in the NFC, where the Wild Card is usually anyone's to grab,

Didn't it come down to three teams fighting for the wildcard spot this year, compared to six-eight teams in the AFC?

This year the AFC was crazy, but for a long time 8-8 or 9-7 could get you in the Wild Card in the NFC. I could see the Niners being 8-8 or 9-7 potentially. Play the Hawks twice, that's 2 wins, play the Rams, most likely 2 wins depending on what moves the Rams make in the offseason. That's 4 wins right there. Even if you go 5-7 the rest of the way that's still 9-7.

I'm interested to see what happens in the Bay this coming year.

sure they have a chance at a playoff spot...... i'd say right now around 30-40%. if warner retires and leinart becomes az's starter, that is a few steps backwards for az. we'll see what carroll can do in sea. and i still think stl is several years away.

to be a solid team, i think the 9ers need a qb (imo a decent vet would be optimal) and a #1 wr to help crabtree develop propperly. i wouldn't touch anything on defense

They have a weak division which may get weaker if Warner retires. Every year there is a lot of turnover for playoff teams and the 49ers are a good pick to fill the void next year. Although I doubt a wild card is possible for them, the division is very likely.

They have a weak division which may get weaker if Warner retires. Every year there is a lot of turnover for playoff teams and the 49ers are a good pick to fill the void next year. Although I doubt a wild card is possible for them, the division is very likely.

good point

sure they have a chance at a playoff spot...... i'd say right now around 30-40%. if warner retires and leinart becomes az's starter, that is a few steps backwards for az. we'll see what carroll can do in sea. and i still think stl is several years away.

to be a solid team, i think the 9ers need a qb (imo a decent vet would be optimal) and a #1 wr to help crabtree develop propperly. i wouldn't touch anything on defense

+1 My sentiments exactly well put bier! :wacko: