[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who does IDP?

Ziachild007

It seems to me that the IDPers I know seem to be a little more hardcore about their fantasy football. I for one found that I learned a ton more about the players themselves by doing the dynasty/IDP type leagues. There are a lot of folks on this board that are just as knowledgeable and passionate about football, yet don't get into the IDP. Just curious as to why. Is it more lack of time or just lack of interest?

I played linebacker in college, so I like watching defense anyway. fantasy football is a natural byproduct of my obsession with football in general.

Large 40+ man full IDP roster FF is the way to go, IMO . . . .. redrafts seem basic in comaprison.

Kinda like Chess versus checkers . . .

I've been in two different IDP leagues. Both were free leagues associated with other forums. I don't know if it was due to our leagues scoring not being setup "right" or what, but I found that it didn't matter a whole lot, on average, who you had plugged in or grabbed off the wire. It always seemed like you still got about the same number from your IDP.

My favorite league was ran by Stats.com. It's defense was a little bit of a combination between a traditional DST and IDP. You had an overall DST whose score was determined mainly by points allowed or return TDs. But you also had a passing defense who's points were determined by receiving TDs, passing yards, interceptions, and sacks and a rush defense that looked at rushing TDs, yards, fumbles, etc. All three defenses could be different teams.

we always debate switching one local to IDP but in the end it's time and effort. Standard PPR is already good, but you really need that 'hardcore' mentality to take a local league into IDP and let's face it, most friends are satisfied with offense and team D.

In the IDP league I am in, it's alright but the novelty has worn off.

I have paid close attention to IDP through the years and do a lot of research and analysis behind the scenes about all things FF including IDP. By now, there are 4 reasons why people do not play IDP and why it remains pretty unchanged from year to year. Here is why most people (90% on our site) do not participate in IDP leagues.

1. The scope of players since you are probably tripling the number that could be getting fantasy points.

2. It looks more like a statistical exercise than running a team because you are using players that almost never score.

3. IDPs are not players that you can so much watch on TV since it always follows the ball carrier. Everything in the broadcast is really about the teams scoring, not who makes what tackle. You very rarely hear an announcer say "Player X already has 1.5 sacks, 3 solo tackles and 4 assisted tackles". They will always discuss what the yardage and scores are for the offensive players. It is exciting to see your guy run 75 yards for a TD. To see a player make a tackle - 'meh'. TV does not feed the desire to use IDP at all.

4. IDP is kind of more daunting too because it is not like non-IDP where you want the best RB, QB, WR, etc.. In IDP, you can do better with the crappier half of a defensive tandem because they will be the ones picked on and get the passes defensed, tackles, etc.. You would think that Darelle Revis has to be the #1 IDP guy since he is the defensive player of the year. But he only ranked 41st among DBs. Peyton Manning was the offensive player of the year and he ranked #4 in fantasy points and would have been higher but tanked those last couple of games. What makes you good as an offensive player makes you good in FF. Not neccessarily so in IDP. It is a little counter intuitive with IDP - you want the guys more likely to be where the offense runs - not be the good player that the offense tries to avoid.

IDP'ers are easily the most hardcore FF'ers - no argument. But all the growth in IDP only happened in the first couple of years that it came around and since has not grown at all. It has a fervent and loyal group, but it has already attracted most of the potential converts that it could. I know how much time I spend on the 300 or so offensive players of note. I cannot imagine adding in 500 or 600 more players with potential to score fantasy points.

Hats off to those in IDP leagues - you have my respect to be sure. But those four reasons above is why you probably will not see it grow much at all. There is a consistent 10% of our audience that will read IDP content and that has never changed in years. Out in the world in general, it is more like about 5% or less of leagues use IDP. I know that from our numbers and those of other sites and the league management products that you use.

I have paid close attention to IDP through the years and do a lot of research and analysis behind the scenes about all things FF including IDP. By now, there are 4 reasons why people do not play IDP and why it remains pretty unchanged from year to year. Here is why most people (90% on our site) do not participate in IDP leagues.

1. The scope of players since you are probably tripling the number that could be getting fantasy points.

2. It looks more like a statistical exercise than running a team because you are using players that almost never score.

3. IDPs are not players that you can so much watch on TV since it always follows the ball carrier. Everything in the broadcast is really about the teams scoring, not who makes what tackle. You very rarely hear an announcer say "Player X already has 1.5 sacks, 3 solo tackles and 4 assisted tackles". They will always discuss what the yardage and scores are for the offensive players. It is exciting to see your guy run 75 yards for a TD. To see a player make a tackle - 'meh'. TV does not feed the desire to use IDP at all.

4. IDP is kind of more daunting too because it is not like non-IDP where you want the best RB, QB, WR, etc.. In IDP, you can do better with the crappier half of a defensive tandem because they will be the ones picked on and get the passes defensed, tackles, etc.. You would think that Darelle Revis has to be the #1 IDP guy since he is the defensive player of the year. But he only ranked 41st among DBs. Peyton Manning was the offensive player of the year and he ranked #4 in fantasy points and would have been higher but tanked those last couple of games. What makes you good as an offensive player makes you good in FF. Not neccessarily so in IDP. It is a little counter intuitive with IDP - you want the guys more likely to be where the offense runs - not be the good player that the offense tries to avoid.

IDP'ers are easily the most hardcore FF'ers - no argument. But all the growth in IDP only happened in the first couple of years that it came around and since has not grown at all. It has a fervent and loyal group, but it has already attracted most of the potential converts that it could. I know how much time I spend on the 300 or so offensive players of note. I cannot imagine adding in 500 or 600 more players with potential to score fantasy points.

Hats off to those in IDP leagues - you have my respect to be sure. But those four reasons above is why you probably will not see it grow much at all. There is a consistent 10% of our audience that will read IDP content and that has never changed in years. Out in the world in general, it is more like about 5% or less of leagues use IDP. I know that from our numbers and those of other sites and the league management products that you use.

And the bolded part above.

This is one area where I have to disagree. Other than DB's, more specifically CB's where the "rookie rule" applies, stud talent reigns supreme. Guys like Revis and Asomugha who are the rare "shutdown" type corner and the rare exception, the most talented IDP's are the guys that typically score the most, scheme permitting, especially regarding LB's and DL's. DB's tend to be a crap shoot from year to year but there are plenty of guys who perform well year to year and not because they are on the crappier half of the talent spectrum. They are the ones who play all 3 downs and who are the foundation of their defense. In every IDP league I play in a top LB can score almost as much as a top WR / RB. I agree that it does take a bit more time to keep up with but if the scoring / lineup requirements are designed well it takes playing FF to a whole other level IMO. I could never imagine playing with a TEAM DEF again, but it's probably an acquired taste for sure.

ETA - Actually after looking at Revis' final scoring in several of my leagues he was the #8 CB overall and the #28 DB overall.

Edited by SF409ers

It's an interesting way to play FF, I did one the 1st time ever this past season, but yes, counterintuitive on some levels...like when I drafted Ed Reed, Randall looked over my roster & told me he's not that good for IDP, he's a big playmaker but doesn't get enough tackles...many thanks to Randall for teaching me how to play IDP :wacko:

I definitely have fallen for IDP....its a different animal though....my first dynasty that we started last year is a full IDP and its crazy!! And our Local league has implemented a single IDP spot the last 2 years.

I havent figured it out yet because i found myself drafting people i "liked" instead of looking at the #'s.. Kinda like someone mention Ed Reed as an example

In that dynasty mentioned above.....someone has Willis, Beason, D Harris, Lofton, Mayo....we can start 3 :wacko:

Im surprised to hear it wont expand or catch on more..

Scheme Matters is an article that I have gotten quite a few compliments on...I might be a bit biased but I think it is a must read for IDPers.

Note: this is from 2008 so the team schemes are wrong...I did a Scheme Matters blog post for this past season but it wasn't as in depth as the one I linked to here.

This is one area where I have to disagree. Other than DB's, more specifically CB's where the "rookie rule" applies, stud talent reigns supreme. Guys like Revis and Asomugha who are the rare "shutdown" type corner and the rare exception, the most talented IDP's are the guys that typically score the most, scheme permitting, especially regarding LB's and DL's. DB's tend to be a crap shoot from year to year but there are plenty of guys who perform well year to year and not because they are on the crappier half of the talent spectrum. They are the ones who play all 3 downs and who are the foundation of their defense. In every IDP league I play in a top LB can score almost as much as a top WR / RB. I agree that it does take a bit more time to keep up with but if the scoring / lineup requirements are designed well it takes playing FF to a whole other level IMO. I could never imagine playing with a TEAM DEF again, but it's probably an acquired taste for sure.

ETA - Actually after looking at Revis' final scoring in several of my leagues he was the #8 CB overall and the #28 DB overall.

Me too. Like you said picked on DB's can be good in IDP. LB'ers and DL are very different.

It took me a year in IDP before I had a clue. That hurt, because my first IDP leagues were dynasty leagues, so I ended up messing up the rosters a bit. But, in my first redrfat 12 team 40 man roster league this year, I won the supe. Went early for sure stud LB's. LB's get hurt early and often, you just can't have enough by the time the draft is over.

I agree with DMD re: the DB's in FF. Often a rookie CB who wins the starting job will be targeted often by the opposing team, especially if the CB on the other side is a very good one. That will boost that rookie CB's numbers. Linebackers, DE's and DL's are not so counter-inutitive. Most rookies at those positions take a year or two to develop at the NFL level, more so for the DE's abd DL's.

Keg's "Scheme Matters" article was very good. Knowing if a team plays the Tampa-2 or is switching defensive schemes is something you better know about. Some defenses funnel tackles to the MLB, like when Vilma played for Herm Edwards in NY. When Mangini went to a 3-4, Vilma couldn't adapt, and his numbers fell off a cliff. Vima just couldn't shed tackles well enough to play well in a 3-4.

I only have one non-IDP league left on my FF plate. I don't think I'd join another one. Knowing more about DP's also helps me with some offensive lineup decisions. Knowing more about a gieven team's defense also helps me when drafting I believer. When Ryan came to NY, with his rep, I boosted my Jets RB's up and my Jets' WR's down. Baltimore is another example. Better to get thier RB's, not their WR's.

Overall, playing IDP made me a better football fan. Understanding schemes better is what made me realize that Kerry Rhodes is as dumb as a brick, and can't play in complicated schemes. I can actually tell when a QB makes a read and goes after Rhodes on a given passing play. Knowing which WR might draw coverage from Rhodes might influence my WR line up decisions. Watching football now is at a different level for me since I started IDP, even if I don't have a FF interest in the game.

There is a consistent 10% of our audience that will read IDP content and that has never changed in years. Out in the world in general, it is more like about 5% or less of leagues use IDP. I know that from our numbers and those of other sites and the league management products that you use.

I guess that isn't so bad considering you keep us (links to IDP) all the way down in the basement :wacko:

I guess that isn't so bad considering you keep us (links to IDP) all the way down in the basement :D

I've complained about that all year. :wacko:

Besides I doubt serious fantasy players are 90% non-IDP. I'd like to see what the percentage is in MFL.

I've complained about that all year. :wacko:

Besides I doubt serious fantasy players are 90% non-IDP. I'd like to see what the percentage is in MFL.

maybe I can talk DMD/WW into putting a small little button at the top of the page that links to the IDP content that is MUCH lower on the home page.

I am still working on my IDP tackle predictions program and with any luck it will be ready to go for the start of next year too :D