[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick to St.Louis?

tazinib1

http://ow.ly/XchU

I'm sure there will be other "hot" rumors surrounding Vick this off-season, but this one, like it or not, makes more sense than others I have seen regarding our favorite dog ambassador.

As the Philadelphia Eagles headed into the offseason following last weekend's wild-card loss to Dallas, quarterback Michael Vick made it clear what he wanted in his future.

"Everybody wants to be a starter in this league, and everybody wants to play," Vick told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "That should be your goal. The ambition you should have is to want to be great. ... I know I can still play at a high level."

All of which is no surprise to Eagles coach Andy Reid.

"That kid, the changes that he made this year in his life, I was impressed with," Reid told Philadelphia reporters. "And his desire to be a No. 1 guy in this league, I'd be disappointed if he didn't feel that way."

As long as Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb are in Philly, Vick won't get a chance to start for the Eagles. But what about St. Louis?

What seemed totally far-fetched last summer, as Vick was about to get out of prison, no longer seems like such a longshot in St. Louis. Because Vick remains under contract with Philadelphia, Rams general manager Billy Devaney can't speak publicly on the topic.

But Devaney has consistently said the team will explore all options to improve the club. He has made it a point in interviews to note that the "four pillars" approach is being softened this offseason. In other words, the Rams are more likely to take a chance on a so-called "character-risk" player than last year at this time.

Devaney worked for the Atlanta Falcons before coming to St. Louis, so he's very familiar with Vick. In fact, Devaney visited Vick in prison while Vick was serving 18 months for running a dogfighting operation.

Reid has been one of the major career influences for Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo. So when Reid talks about how he was impressed with Vick, and the "changes" he made in his life, that will resonate with Spagnuolo.

So it will come as no surprise if Vick's name comes up next week when Devaney, Spagnuolo and executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff meet with Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom at the organization's annual postseason summit.

By all accounts, Vick has said and done the right things in Philadelphia, where he was given a second chance by Reid. If not the Rams, it seems likely someone now will give Vick a chance to compete for a starting job in a league where top-flight quarterbacks remain a rare commodity.

But even if it comes down to a pure football decision, does Vick still have what it takes to be a difference-maker in the NFL? That's what the Rams, or any other team, must decide.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft by Atlanta, Vick made three Pro Bowls in six seasons with the Falcons. He isn't a pure passer in terms of accuracy. His completion percentage with the Falcons was only 54 percent; his passer rating only 75.7. But he has very good arm strength, and always threw a good deep ball.

And the guy wins. The Falcons were a different team with him in the lineup. His regular-season won-lost record of 38-28-1 through the 2006 season was the 11th-best winning percentage (.575) among active quarterbacks at the time.

Vick was truly electrifying in beating teams with his legs. He set an NFL rushing record for a quarterback in 2006, his last season before prison, with 1,039 yards — averaging a staggering 8.4 yards per carry.

The question the Rams or any other team must answer is this: Can Vick still be a game-changer as a runner? He turns 30 in June, missed the '07 and '08 seasons entirely, and was limited to a cameo role in '09 with the Eagles.

Vick threw only 13 passes for Philly in the regular season — completing six for 86 yards and a touchdown. He ran 24 times for 95 yards and two TDs, averaging 4.0 yards per carry.

That's not nearly a big enough sample size to draw firm conclusions on Vick's current skill level. But his 76-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin last week against Dallas showed he still has zip in his arm.

"Being away from the game for two years didn't help me," Vick told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I see that I had to come back and get into a rhythm."

Mentally, Vick thinks he's better than ever. He made the most of his time with McNabb in learning how to study and prepare for games.

One reason Vick might not be an Eagle in 2010 is the size of the option year on his contract. He's scheduled to make $3.75 million in base salary, as well as a $1.5 million roster bonus — for a total of $5.25 million. That's a lot of money for a role player.

The $1.5 million roster bonus is due on the fifth day of the "league year." That's NFL-speak for the start of the free agency/trading period, which is March 5. So there's a chance the Eagles might want to simply release Vick rather than paying the $1.5 million by March 10.

But if it looks like multiple suitors develop for Vick, it's not inconceivable that the Eagles would pay the roster bonus and then work out a trade.

In St. Louis, Vick could bring sizzle to an offense that was among the league's worst in '09. As one long-time NFL coach told the Post-Dispatch: "That team lacks perimeter players. They can't play straight up (on offense) and win. They need to create explosiveness where it's not."

Hmmmmm.....

Edited by tazinib1

There are a lot of guys that have done a lot worse things than Michael Vick that are still in NFL.

Leonard Little and Donte' Stallworth immediately come to mind. Both of them killed someone while driving drunk, and had less of a penalty than Michael Vick for killing dogs. And let's not even get into the amount of guys who have had domestic abuse charges or convictions.

Vick has served his time. It amazes me the outrage for Vick and the lack thereof for others.

There are a lot of guys that have done a lot worse things than Michael Vick that are still in NFL.

Leonard Little and Donte' Stallworth immediately come to mind. Both of them killed someone while driving drunk, and had less of a penalty than Michael Vick for killing dogs. And let's not even get into the amount of guys who have had domestic abuse charges or convictions.

Vick has served his time. It amazes me the outrage for Vick and the lack thereof for others.

Serving his time means it never happened and he's a great guy now? :wacko: In my book his a filthy f*cking scumbag that tortured dogs, I don't see how him going to prison changes that.

Serving his time means it never happened and he's a great guy now? :wacko: In my book his a filthy f*cking scumbag that tortured dogs, I don't see how him going to prison changes that.

What he is trying to say is that, Vick served his time and has earned another shot. Honestly, I was kinda iffy on how i felt about him but since coming out of jail he does seem like he changed for the better. No doubt what he did wasn't right, but as posted above there is no comparison between taking the life of a human being and dog fighting, in my eyes at least.

What he is trying to say is that, Vick served his time and has earned another shot. Honestly, I was kinda iffy on how i felt about him but since coming out of jail he does seem like he changed for the better. No doubt what he did wasn't right, but as posted above there is no comparison between taking the life of a human being and dog fighting, in my eyes at least.

Inever got the impression that he changed, he appeared to always say the company line and only seemed like he felt remorse because he was caught....

Inever got the impression that he changed, he appeared to always say the company line and only seemed like he felt remorse because he was caught....

Everyone is always only sorry because they were caught.

I'm not saying hes a "good person" but he has improved. Stayed out of trouble this year, according to papers and coaches he did work very hard in PHI. IMO he deserves another shot as a starter......even though in madden he sucks.

LEONARD LTTLE AND DONTE' STALLWORTH immediately come to mind. Both of them killed someone while driving drunk, and had less of a penalty than Michael Vick for killing dogs. And let's not even get into the amount of guys who have had domestic abuse charges or convictions.

[cough] Ray Lewis [cough] You didn't hear that from me though! And he did no time! Found innocent sure ~ guilty hell yes!

Vick shoulda been strung up like those dogs and beaten electricuted and drowned then I'd say he paid his dues :D POS deserves to be on the streets homeless wondering where his next meal is gonna come from! Guess he could always eat his homeless buddies dog! :wacko: Sorry dog lover here and can't stand this poop. Could care less if the guy lives dies or plays another day in the NFL. Cause all I can think of is how my kids faces light up when they see their dogs after school or when they have been gone.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

How do you feel about Little and Stallworth? And do you complain as vociferously?

How do you feel about Little and Stallworth? And do you complain as vociferously?

While both crimes are wrong I believe intentionally doing harm is a little worse. Yes I have too gotten behind a wheel when I shouldn't have after drinking and the decision to do so is wrong. And if anything were to happen it is my fault for making a poor decision and a mistake. But I've never intentionally done physical harm of which Vick did to anyone or anything ever. So I feel the two crimes are far from the same they did not get in their cars and say here we go I'm gonna kill someone. But that is exactly what Vick did and probably sober at times which is even more disturbing he could make a decision like these while not under the influence of some mind altering substance.

Does it change you mind that Little drove drunk again?

And I think you'd feel differently if it was your family member that was killed by a drunk driver. Way bigger deal than a dog.

Edited by CaptainHook

While both crimes are wrong I believe intentionally doing harm is a little worse. Yes I have too gotten behind a wheel when I shouldn't have after drinking and the decision to do so is wrong. And if anything were to happen it is my fault for making a poor decision and a mistake. But I've never intentionally done physical harm of which Vick did to anyone or anything ever. So I feel the two crimes are far from the same they did not get in their cars and say here we go I'm gonna kill someone. But that is exactly what Vick did and probably sober at times which is even more disturbing he could make a decision like these while not under the influence of some mind altering substance.

I've had a dog since i was 4 years old. I know how much I do love dogs, and I know how much he means to my family. However, how can you possibly think less of a person being killed then a dog? Regardless of how it happened. As much as i do love my pet, i would much rather my dog be dead then my brother or friend.

Edited by Infinity

But I've never intentionally done physical harm of which Vick did to anyone or anything ever. So I feel the two crimes are far from the same they did not get in their cars and say here we go I'm gonna kill someone. But that is exactly what Vick did and probably sober at times which is even more disturbing he could make a decision like these while not under the influence of some mind altering substance.

I don't condone what Vick did for one second...I have owned dogs all my life, and they are a part of the core of our family....but...

What if a person is from an enviornment that condones this horrific action? I understand that at some point, he likely understood what he did was inhumane, but after years of it being a part of the fabric of his upbringing, I imagine it was hard to change (especially if reports that even the law looked the other way in the Hamptons were true).

I don't hunt. My personal values dictate that the killing of any animal for sport or monetary gain is, well, pathetic. But I understand those raised in hunting households have done it all their lives, and grudgingly respect their decision to hunt.

FWIW, I do think he now has an understanding that the actions he did were reprehensible. And I can't imagine a scenario where he risks this second chance to do it again.

What if a person is from an enviornment that condones this horrific action? I understand that at some point, he likely understood what he did was inhumane, but after years of it being a part of the fabric of his upbringing, I imagine it was hard to change (especially if reports that even the law looked the other way in the Hamptons were true).

Ridiculous. People are raised by drug addicted criminals and choose to rise above and better themselves every day. Would have been way easier for someone like Vick to get away from a situation like his upbringing after he became filthy rich

I don't hunt. My personal values dictate that the killing of any animal for sport or monetary gain is, well, pathetic. But I understand those raised in hunting households have done it all their lives, and grudgingly respect their decision to hunt.

I'm a hunter. I respect your opinion on hunting. You're entitled to it. But being raised in a tradition of hunting has absolutely nothing in common with being raised in a "dog torturing friendly environment". And I choose to hunt b/c I enjoy it, not b/c my family and friends thought it was cool when I was growing up.

I'm a hunter. I respect your opinion on hunting. You're entitled to it. But being raised in a tradition of hunting has absolutely nothing in common with being raised in a "dog torturing friendly environment". And I choose to hunt b/c I enjoy it, not b/c my family and friends thought it was cool when I was growing up.

Agreed. I also eat every animal I harvest. That has nothing to do with the situation at hand . .

That bolded statement alone should tell you how far removed Vick was from the society in which you were raised, and the enviornment where he was brought up.

And whether you realize it or not, your reasons for hunting (because you "enjoy it") are likely very similar to why Vick did what he did. I am sure that while Vick thought dogfighting was cool, and it was a measure of inclusion in his world, he liked the rush it provided...likely not too differnet than the rush you likely feel when you are on the hunt.

It's hard for me to validate Vick's actions because of learned environmental factors. To be sure he has faced a penalty stronger then any instance of animal cruelty that I have ever seen.

I've grown up on a family farm and I've been a hunter/fisherman my entire life. Working alongside animals and being closer to the cycle of life and death gives you a real understanding for individuals who find a certain zeal in the death part. I guess I have more of a disdain for him because of all the factors involved. It wasn't just that he was a dog fighter, it was the conditions in which he kept his animals, the manner in which he deemed an animal unfit to live, and then how euthanized them. Cruelty and neglect always seem to go hand in hand for some reason.

There is nothing worse then seeing an animal euthanized by asphyxiation. It goes to the core of what's the character of a man's soul. It shows a window that few want to see, because it's largely indicative of other violent tendencies. If a person can find no big deal in hanging a dog, what else will he find as no big deal?