[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

pro bowl quarterbacks

eags

manning, brees, and favre are all in the pro bowl. don't you think they are all gonna drop out whether they win or lose this week? they should have already done what rivers did. the old " i have something personal " bullcrap ! he must have gotten too many tears in his eyes when he was crying after that disaster last week. this is why i never watch the pro bowl.

manning, brees, and favre are all in the pro bowl. don't you think they are all gonna drop out whether they win or lose this week? they should have already done what rivers did. the old " i have something personal " bullcrap ! he must have gotten too many tears in his eyes when he was crying after that disaster last week. this is why i never watch the pro bowl.

While Manning will have a good excuse this year, I don't know that he's ever backed out of one.

I didn't like the scheduling when it was announced. I wouldn't blame any of them for not showing up but do understand you point of not committing one way or another. Even though it is moving back to the normal schedule next year I sure hope they learn something from it this year and think more before making changes in the future. Think about all the changes in scheduling the NFL has made the last few years with games being played over seas and moving the Pro-bowl. Now what if any good has come of it ?

More exposure in the European market ,,, okay I don't see much advantage to that.

Super Bowl in same city and played the week before the big game with no bye week for players in both ... I don't see any advantage to that ,,, except maybe more of us mainlander's having an easier travel to the game.

More exposure in the European market ,,, okay I don't see much advantage to that.
Why on earth would the NFL want to market their sport to 61m people (England) or 731m (Europe)? I just don't $ee the rea$oning behind their de$ire$ and deci$ion$.

Super Bowl in same city and played the week before the big game with no bye week for players in both ... I don't see any advantage to that ,,, except maybe more of us mainlander's having an easier travel to the game.
50k vs 76k people can attend the game. Multiply that extra 26k people * ticket price, merchandise sales, other NFL-sanction activities that are taking part that week because of the Superbowl and you get one great big giant sporting event stretching across two weekends. Cities would love it as theres a decent chance many of the people going to the SB might also go to the PB and stay the week spending their money in sunny Miami/Florida.

I kinda think it's a neat idea. :wacko:

They probably should have announced a replacement, especially on the NFC side. Favre never goes anyways. My guess is that whoever it is, already knows, they just haven't made a public announcement since they don't know which QB won't be there. If the Vikings lose, they'll probably have to replace two guys. Favre won't go, Brees won't be able to. In the AFC, if the Colts lose, I bet Manning plays in the Pro Bowl.

Useless game, I'm sure most of the players just view it as a free trip to Hawaii. Exceptions being people like Peyton and AP. I can't see anyone enjoying watching a scrimmage, and when a large chunk declines to play, it just makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Useless game, I'm sure most of the players just view it as a free trip to Hawaii.
I would imagine that most, if not all, of the true pro-bowl players wouldn't have any problems paying for a trip to Hawaii if they wanted to go. Now if the trend continues of players declining, then maybe someone like Curtis Painter or Mark Brunell might get a place on the team and then it might be worth it for them.

I would imagine that most, if not all, of the true pro-bowl players wouldn't have any problems paying for a trip to Hawaii if they wanted to go. Now if the trend continues of players declining, then maybe someone like Curtis Painter or Mark Brunell might get a place on the team and then it might be worth it for them.

Unlikely.

For starters, let me say that I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since I was about 8 and, frankly, rarely watch any All-Star game. Certainly, I am not their target audience. However, there must be someone out there who's into it if they're going to bother. If that is the case, I can't see why they can't do a better job of strong-arming players into playing and teams into not helping pretend they're injured.

In the grand scheme of things, every game is a "meaningless game". Because, well, they're games. They're entertainment. Thus, if the NFL can somehow make the Pro Bowl more entertaining, the "meaningless" gap between it and games that count towards championships and such becomes smaller.

These guys are employed to help make money for the league. That's their job, to play a game on the field and entertain a customer base. If part of that means going to Hawaii (getting paid extra, mind you both in what the league pays you plus whatever salary incentives selection may trigger), then suck it up. That's your job. The owners collectively believe that it is a money making endeavor and perhaps has a lingering and positive impact in terms of marketing their product.

Now, if everyone decides it's just a stupid idea that doesn't pay for itself because nobody cares, they should just scrap it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. And as long as it isn't the case, then I don't see why it should be voluntary.

Of course, they have a hard enough time keeping teams honest with regards to the injury list in "real games" so I don't really know how they could police this, but you'd think there's some way. One thing the league could do is require any performance incentives that involve making the Pro Bowl be at two levels. Maybe you get some money for getting selected but you've got to actually play in the game to get it all. Again, assuming they give a rat's ass about it. Which I don't.

I think they should just scrap the game altogether and make a bigger spectacle out of the skills competition type stuff. That would be different and enjoyable to watch.

I'd rather watch sloppy, "don't care" football than guys throwing a football through a tire

I'd rather watch sloppy, "don't care" football than guys throwing a football through a tire

Eh, they could have some creative person make mini team competitions out of it or something.

They could have an endzone celebration dance off for all those TDs they couldn't celebrate during the season. :wacko:

Eh, they could have some creative person make mini team competitions out of it or something.

They could have an endzone celebration dance off for all those TDs they couldn't celebrate during the season. :wacko:

There used to be skills competitions on (ESPN2 maybe). QB Challenge was a big one and even desperate for football in June it was awful

Robert Edwards thinks that's a terrible idea.

I wouldn't. I might actually turn on the TV to see who actually is the fastest guy in the NFL. Who can jump the highest, throw or punt the farthest. Who could kick the longest FG, who could complete an agility test, strongest, etc.

Most of this sort of leaves the defensive guys out of it, so I guess they'd have to figure out some challenge for them. However, these are non-contact drills so there'd be less chance of serious injury and guys might actually go all-out. You know, bragging rights. You think these guys don't want to be able to say they were the fastest guy in the league?

Come to think of it, they could have weight classes in the sprints as well.

I watch track and field in the olympics, so I might actually watch this. Plus, you'd have a ton of cameras down there catching all the chight talk.

I wouldn't circle the calendar or anything but, unlike the pro-bowl, there's actually a chance I'd watch it.