[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

pro bowl quarterbacks

eags

For starters, let me say that I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since I was about 8 and, frankly, rarely watch any All-Star game. Certainly, I am not their target audience. However, there must be someone out there who's into it if they're going to bother. If that is the case, I can't see why they can't do a better job of strong-arming players into playing and teams into not helping pretend they're injured.

This isn't baseball, contracts are not guaranteed, the winner gets like 40k and the losers 25k. Would you play a meaningless game

full out contact and risk a career ending injury for that? The Pro Bowl game will never be more than a scrimmage. Even at that, players can

get hurt in practice or a scrimmage. It's just not worth it to the players. I don't blame any of them for not going, and NFLPA would never

allow the league to strong-arm them into playing.

I'd also like more of a focus on a skills competition between pro bowlers. I haven't watched the probowl in almost two decades, and that's assuming I watched it as a kid and just don't remember it.

Because football is such a physical game, I understand players not wanting to participate. The basketball allstar game would be a fun one to watch if I still cared about basketball because they are out there having fun and it's a game more conducive to highlight play after highlight play occurring when players are just messing around. Football isn't about highlight plays the way a game like basketball is. It's about 60 minutes of tough, physical play.

What I'd prefer to see, and would actually watch, is a game between up and coming players, players with something to prove. Maybe an all rookie game. Give guys who haven't gotten much chance to show themselves on the field the chance to play. I know he wouldn't be very exciting to watch, but a few years ago I may have tuned in to see Sorgi getting a start, just for the novelty of it.

This isn't baseball, contracts are not guaranteed, the winner gets like 40k and the losers 25k. Would you play a meaningless game

full out contact and risk a career ending injury for that? The Pro Bowl game will never be more than a scrimmage. Even at that, players can

get hurt in practice or a scrimmage. It's just not worth it to the players. I don't blame any of them for not going, and NFLPA would never

allow the league to strong-arm them into playing.

If it was in my contract I sure as hell would. The general point I was making was that it is all entertainment.so it's sort of silly to describe one game as meaningless and another as otherwise. The NFL is in the entertainment industry and if they think the Pro Bowl is something they could sell if best players showed up, then they could take steps to make it so.

What this might cost in terms of what it would take to get the NFLPA on board? Who knows. Right now the owners are looking for 2 more games and the NFLPA is balking. Obviously no labor force is going to volunteer to work more for the same pay (or proportionally less pay). Again, if pro-bowl bonuses are somewhat attached to actually playing, they could get some attendance.

As far as worthless games, why don't star player refuse to play in the pre-season?

Until contracts are guaranteed, I just don't see players willing to compete in an All Star Game.

Your right, it is entertainment, however for the players it's a business decision. They don't want

the risk of losing Millions of dollars for one game that means, in reality, nothing to them.

Until contracts are guaranteed, I just don't see players willing to compete in an All Star Game.

Your right, it is entertainment, however for the players it's a business decision. They don't want

the risk of losing Millions of dollars for one game that means, in reality, nothing to them.

Why do the other games mean any more? That is, unless they're on the verge of satisfying a performance based bonus. From a strictly business, as you say, position, why does a regular season game mean any more? Hell, why don't they insist upon not playing in any game once it's been determined they won't gain enough yards (or what have you) or their team has been eliminated from the play-offs? If you think about it, you'll realize the lines between most "real" games and this "fake" one are rather blurry.

Did any game at all mean anything to the St. Louis Rams this year?

Edited by detlef

Why do the other games mean any more? That is, unless they're on the verge of satisfying a performance based bonus. From a strictly business, as you say, position, why does a regular season game mean any more? Hell, why don't they insist upon not playing in any game once it's been determined they won't gain enough yards (or what have you) or their team has been eliminated from the play-offs? If you think about it, you'll realize the lines between most "real" games and this "fake" one are rather blurry.

Did any game at all mean anything to the St. Louis Rams this year?

Didn't Randy Moss do this when he was with the Raiders. Only a few players can get away with that, the other 99% would be out of a job.

Why are the rules changed for the Pro Bowl then? If the league actually considered this a real game, wouldn't they play by the rules

of a regular season game?

I'd also like more of a focus on a skills competition between pro bowlers. I haven't watched the probowl in almost two decades, and that's assuming I watched it as a kid and just don't remember it.

Because football is such a physical game, I understand players not wanting to participate. The basketball allstar game would be a fun one to watch if I still cared about basketball because they are out there having fun and it's a game more conducive to highlight play after highlight play occurring when players are just messing around. Football isn't about highlight plays the way a game like basketball is. It's about 60 minutes of tough, physical play.

What I'd prefer to see, and would actually watch, is a game between up and coming players, players with something to prove. Maybe an all rookie game. Give guys who haven't gotten much chance to show themselves on the field the chance to play. I know he wouldn't be very exciting to watch, but a few years ago I may have tuned in to see Sorgi getting a start, just for the novelty of it.

I think they already have that but they call it college :wacko:

Robert Edwards thinks that's a terrible idea.

Robert Edwards didn't tear up his knee in a skills competition. It was in a game on the beach. But sure. Of course, freak accidents can happen anytime.

Come on...can't you just see Ochocinco in a trash talking event?

Best use of a prop in a touchdown celebration? :wacko:

Time for them to shake things up. I think it'd be awesome if they got away from the AFC vs. NFC setup. Instead they named the NFL offensive MVP and NFL Defensive MVP as captains of two separate teams. Then 3-4 days prior to the game the captains go schoolyard and hand pick their teams in a televised event. This would draw the interest of the fantasy crowd. The actual game would have some intrigue as well since you could be seeing Dwight Freeney sacking Peyton Manning . . . or Charles Woodson defending against Aaron Rodgers.