[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Legend of Brett Favre

Cowboyz1

After watching tonight's game, I found myself saying, "wow the Saint's are out there trying to put Favre out of the game and he's still standing in there throwing darts". I started to think about his history and how many times he lead teams to victory while teammates were doing everything possible to lose it for him. After AP fumbled the handoff, he lays his hand on AP's chest and said "that was my fault". Keeping his teammate up. After they tied the game 21-21, i noticed the 40 year old Favre, raise his hands to the sky but you could see his body was hurting. He didn't run to the player and slap him on the backside, just raised his hands to the air and eased his weary body to the sideline. His happy go lucky smile, had turned to a grimace. I watched him search for a place to sit and put his head down to the ground as if he was questioning if his body would allow him to continue. My admiration for him was growing with each snap.

I thought to myself, this guy has not missed a game. Ever. That means he has played with God knows how much pain and found a way to finish. But after yet another fumble and the Saints going up 28-21 I saw perhaps the greatest effort by a QB I have ever seen. I am convinced the Saints were intent on getting Favre out of there, just like they did to Warner the week prior. Taking that extra step then driving him into the ground and body splashing for good measure. Then after they helped him off the field, for a moment I said they got him. Man o man they may of got him.

But what I witnessed next was so unreal I still can't believe it. 40 year old Favre comes back into the game and gets his team into the end zone to tie the game 28-28. We have watched him do that for two decades and most of us said WOW this guy is the Greatest warrior to ever play the QB position. I was convinced that as long as he is standing, they win this game, inspite of all the fumbles that wouldn't have made this game even close and what a performance he put on tonight.

Now the stage was set for him leave the NFL with one last SuperBowl battle. You couldn't script it any better, 2:00 left on the clock, Favre and his offensive players in the huddle all looking at him, knowing he is hurting, knowing there isn't much left in that 40 year old body that has taken a beating for 58 minutes at the hands of a Saints D determined to break him. Many of them watched him as kids, and like them, I thought at the time, there is no way we are going to lose this game so long as Favre's arm is still attached. We are going to the SuperBowl, all we have to do, is do our jobs for 2:00 and Favre is going to take us home. I'm sure they saw it in his eyes as the broke the huddle, thinking we have perhaps the best clutch QB ever, dreaming of what they would call this drive as "the Drive" was already taken. Even I was convinced as I began ranking this drive against all the other game winning drives I had witnessed.

Then the unthinkable. Or was it? Most of us all think of Classic Favre, driving down the field stealing a victory from the jaws of defeat, yet there was another Classic Favre also. It may have just crept in for a fleeting moment but disappeared against the gravity of this game, and this moment of his career. He couldn't, he wouldn't, no way he has learned by now.

You know, The Classic Favre, the one that made Holmgren ill at night, the one that made Jerry Glanville toss him away, the one that left Packer fans staggering to their cars, kicking their cheese hats. I mean not quite Vinny the Pick status but that one Classic Favre throw that makes you wonder how a guy can play in the NFL, never missing a game mind you, yet with everything on the line, chose not to run for a few yards and give the kicker a reasonable shot, or throw the ball away, or just plain throw it at the receivers feet. NO, he decides in that spit second, in spite of 100s of previous spit seconds, to throw the ball across the field into the teeth of the defense, off balance...............for a pick.

Now I ask you, with all that experience and being told from pee wee coaches to High School coaches to College Coaches to NFL coaches, to irate fans all over the world on boards like this, "NEVER THROW THE BALL BACK ACROSS THE GRAIN INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD, how could he make that throw?

I mean, he has done it and done it and done it and done it. Why?

Maybe it's because he is Brett Favre, and just like the story of the frog being asked by the scorpion to do him a favor and swim him across the river and they both die because the scorpion stings the frog half way across, it's in his nature.

Ironically, Brett Favre's first and last pass as an NFL player may just be a Pick.

He was the reason the Vikings got this far and for many of the players they may never see this deep in the playoffs again. Is Jackon going to take them. I think he has to come back now.

Brett will go down as perhaps the Greatest QB to ever play the game for many reasons. Ironman being perhaps the greatest of his attributes, but today has me shaking my head in wonder. I just wonder how a guy with his experience can make that throw in that situation? Or maybe that's just the NFL and because he has always been willing to make that throw, makes him what he is, Great. I don't know, I really just don't know.

But if this is the last we see of Favre under center in the NFL, I personally will always wonder what went through his mind at that moment, at this point in his career, that would cause him to throw that ball for a pick. Maybe he couldn't run, maybe he didn't see the linebacker, or maybe he was just "awfully good" and that is how we will remember Classic Brett Favre.

Edited by Cowboyz1

i was freakin at the chances he took before that throw gettin the ball ta guys and keepin things movin.....confidence must just override everything :wacko:

The ball he threw to Rice to get them into possible FG range to begin with was plain sick.

With all Favre's detractor's, and those that are criticizing that final throw, the dude can flat-out play football. Instinct has its good moments ,a nd its bad....the bad got he best of Favre on that final play.

What I find curious is how little talk there seems to be of the bonehead coaching that led up to it. Had the Vikes just run another play with their personnel that was on the field, they could have run for 1-2 yards towards the middle of the field, and tried a 49-yard FG. Instead, they get cute and get called for 12-men in the huddle, which backed them out of FG range, and set up the final play which required them to pass.

BTW...very nice post, Cowboyz1...enjoyed the read, and feel much the same as you.

Had the Vikes just run another play with their personnel that was on the field, they could have run for 1-2 yards towards the middle of the field, and tried a 49-yard FG.

That's exactly what I thought they'd do - get it to the middle of the field with a short run up the middle. Didn't like that play call at all.

The ball he threw to Rice to get them into possible FG range to begin with was plain sick.

You know. I wasnt sure if it was just me that realized how truly insane that pass was. I wasnt at the comp when I was watching the end of the game and figured mentioning it later would get lost in all the other big topics about how that game ended. It was a guided missile of a pass.

That is classic Favre. Capable of truly brilliant and dazzling plays . . . . and also capable of boneheaded INTS when he tries to do too much.

That supreme confidence/arrogance is why along with a LOT of almost untouchable records, he also holds the INT record for the league.

Apparently God wants Brett to retire with his last pass being a INT in the NFC Championship game . . . . this is his second chance.

name='i_am_the_swammi' post='3081871' date='1/25/10 5:48am']What I find curious is how little talk there seems to be of the bonehead coaching that led up to it. Had the Vikes just run another play with their personnel that was on the field, they could have run for 1-2 yards towards the middle of the field, and tried a 49-yard FG. Instead, they get cute and get called for 12-men in the huddle, which backed them out of FG range, and set up the final play which required them to pass.

That play was setup by all the fumbles. I think they trusted Favre more then anyone else on the field.

BTW...very nice post, Cowboyz1...enjoyed the read, and feel much the same as you.

Thanks Swamm, at least there's some common gound between us, but don't expect us to swap spit in the shower. :wacko:

That pass to Rice was sick though. Perfect and with the kind of zip only Favre and a few other QB's ever could have made.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Considering last week you didn't even know how to spell his name, you sure know alot about the legend. :wacko:

Truth be told, I have pulled for Favre his entire career, accept of course when he played the Cowboys, even then I respected him and always will. He is amoung my all time favorite players but my heart aches for the guy to have to live with that throw the rest of his life and perhaps will be remembered more for that one play in that game then all the other brillant ones he made to get them to the brink of winning.

N.O. deserves the spotlight for once, but even in thier win the focus is Favre and how he and the fumbles lost the game more then N.O. won it. Truth is, the Vikings are the superior team and it showed clearly last night. They blew their chance.

Edited by Cowboyz1

well written post. favre had a great season. he made an awful decision at the most critical time. he could've run for a few yards. still would've been a long field goal though. not to mention the 12 players in the huddle penalty, who's ever fault that was that was just as costly if not more so.

The more I look at it, it appears the game was to big for some players you wouldn't have expected it to be.

Adrian Peterson, fumbles so many times he looked like a rookie out their. Had to bring in Chester Taylor in order to get his mind right. Just like Thurman Thomas against the Cowboys. To his credit AP bounced back and 122 with 3 pay dirts is nothing to sneeze at but the damage had been done. Maybe next time he will be ready, but I thought he of all would be ready to play big in big game.

Percy Harvin, Rookie, didn't know how hungry playoff teams are for the ball with a superbowl on the line AND the effect of putting the ball on the ground twice already. Blood in the water players have to hold on even tighter. P. Thomas almost found that out going over the top on that 4th down. Fumbles make for more fumbles Percy, note it.

B.Berrian, now he should no better with his vet status also.

We have already discussed you know who, but his tops them all.

All in all it was a team effort to lose this game, with 6 fumbles they should have been blown out, without them the game would have been Vikings in a rout.

Considering last week you didn't even know how to spell his name, you sure know alot about the legend. :wacko:

:D At least with me, I wasn't having a Favre love fest all year long, then turned on him. But trust me, I know what you're going through.

That is classic Favre. Capable of truly brilliant and dazzling plays . . . . and also capable of boneheaded INTS when he tries to do too much.

That supreme confidence/arrogance is why along with a LOT of almost untouchable records, he also holds the INT record for the league.

Apparently God wants Brett to retire with his last pass being a INT in the NFC Championship game . . . . this is his second chance.

Live by the Favre, Die by the Favre.

That supreme confidence/arrogance is why along with a LOT of almost untouchable records, he also holds the INT record for the league. -

lol

Pretty much sums it up for me (altho FYI he only owns a few records, and most of those are due to the longevity thing, which I agree is pretty untouchable).

He also IMO erased any doubt that he will never be seriously mentioned in "best ever QB" by people w/a clue and is relegated to that "yeah he was great, but...." group.