[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

David Garrard now in the Pro Bowl

Cunning Runt

it is time to pull the curtain. no one cares about this game. I believe they have a one year contract with Hawaii next year but after that, can it.

It is a 2-year contract in Hawaii after this year. Then nothing setup after that.

Why don't they follow the sports trend and make it fan friendly? Can the game, send the players to Hawai'i for helping make the league great, and let fans go and mingle, get autographs, pictures, whatever. I bet a bunch of players would vie for it then. Maybe even hold it in a different city each year as part of a roving fanfest. Make it a weeklong deal, players get paid/rewarded, fans get up close with their favorite players.

I find this a weird paradox. THE most popular sport's all-star game is pretty much a joke, and nobody takes it serious like the other sports' all-star games. I mean, we're seriously talking about eliminating the NFL's all-star game and alot of people, if not everybody, are OK with it.

I think the NFL pro bowl weekend should be more fun competitions - like QB challenge etc... No sense to play an actual game when it's such a violent sport. Make it fun competitions with little risk of injury.

Well, the worst Pro Bowl related injury I can ever recall was Robert Edwards' and he was playing a game of touch.

Ok, so a follow up question....

In a situation like Garrard's where they went pretty far down the list for him to have made it, if he had incentive clauses in his contract paying him "x" amount of dollars for making the pro bowl, does this count? Not just him, but anyone that might've gotten in after initially not.

There might be some fine print in the contracts defining the conditions of what exactly constitutes "making the pro bowl", but just curious.

Agents are usually smart enough to keep wording in contracts to favor the players. 'Appearances' would count, 'selections' would count, etc. (obviously players who made the SB will still trigger their incentive if they were selected). Being selected as an "all-pro" triggers more money as well. But as you can probably tell, appearing in a pro bowl is worthless to most players.

Everyone on this thread is correct though, this game is a joke. There is no way of making a violent game with high injury risks watchable in a scrimmage format like the Pro Bowl. In hockey you take the hitting and fighting out of the all-star game but you still have tremendous speed and skill on display. In football you need collisions at high speed to make it work.

Again with Edwards injury in a game like that. Then William Perry did not do well in the hot dog contest after retirement.

didnt Edwards get hurt playing flag football on a SAND beach? :wacko: I mean . . who THINKS of stuff like that?

At this point I think they just call people up and ask if they want to play . . very little prestige anymore.

I would like to see how many players turned down the opportunity. I know that Roethlisberger was asked, and it turned it down due to a shoulder injury.

Im surprised he turned it down. Chris Johnson provides an awesome running game and the afc D is sweet. he would just have to manage the game.

Ok, so a follow up question....

In a situation like Garrard's where they went pretty far down the list for him to have made it, if he had incentive clauses in his contract paying him "x" amount of dollars for making the pro bowl, does this count? Not just him, but anyone that might've gotten in after initially not.

There might be some fine print in the contracts defining the conditions of what exactly constitutes "making the pro bowl", but just curious.

It was just in the local (Jax) paper today that he will not get his bonus for making the Pro Bowl as he was not voted in.

This game is a joke. And seriously, who's gonna show up for just a skills competition? I have to hand it to Manning. He always plays in the game and whoever had the brilliant idea of holding it a week BEFORE the SB, is a sure fire moran. Now we have no Manning or no Brees. So stupid.