[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Dat

rajncajn

I meant to comment on this the other day and didn't get to it.

detlef, have you ever been to New Orleans? There are wrought iron fences all over this city with FDL's as the top. They are literally in every neighborhood. Some are painted gold some just the same black as the fences themselves. A friend of mine has been designing and installing these fences and gates for as long as I have lived here.

The NFL gets the exact design of the FDL that is on the Saints helmets and nothing more! That is a case that would be a ridiculous waste of money even for an entity as large as the NFL is.

Even more, what about all of the Purple and Gold FDL that are all over vehicles to show LSU pride. Has nothing to do with the NFL, but everything to do with the City/State, should those be pulled from the market as well, I think not!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to comment on this the other day and didn't get to it.

detlef, have you ever been to New Orleans? There are wrought iron fences all over this city with FDL's as the top. They are literally in every neighborhood. Some are painted gold some just the same black as the fences themselves. A friend of mine has been designing and installing these fences and gates for as long as I have lived here.

The NFL gets the exact design of the FDL that is on the Saints helmets and nothing more! That is a case that would be a ridiculous waste of money even for an entity as large as the NFL is.

I have and I do realize the attachment of the FDL to the city. You will note that I said "perhaps" in the quote you cited. That is because it would be damned hard for the NFL to prove a black fence with a gold FDL, in and of itself would be a sale based on implied association with an NFL franchise. Just like saying "Who Dat?" all by itself would also be hard to prove. However, as was pointed out earlier. "Chicago" is not protected. "Bears" are not protected. However "Chicago Bears", written in team colors is.

That's why, by the letter of the law, these people making black and gold t-shirts with a FDL and "Who Dat?" on them were treading on thin ice. Because there's absolutely no question to anyone looking at those T-shirts what they're about. They're about the NO Saints. It may have been pig-headed for the NFL to not turn the other cheek and, again, they may have been wise to calculate the marginal revenue lost because someone else was selling Ts vs the embarrassment they caused themselves. But I'd still be very surprised if a court of law ultimately sided with the people making these shirts.

Even more, what about all of the Purple and Gold FDL that are all over vehicles to show LSU pride. Has nothing to do with the NFL, but everything to do with the City/State, should those be pulled from the market as well, I think not!

As hard as it would be to prove Black and Gold FDL, by itself, is property of the league, it would be harder to prove that a purple and gold one (two colors commonly associated with Mardi Gras), by itself was owned by LSU.

That's why, by the letter of the law, these people making black and gold t-shirts with a FDL and "Who Dat?" on them were treading on thin ice. Because there's absolutely no question to anyone looking at those T-shirts what they're about. They're about the NO Saints. It may have been pig-headed for the NFL to not turn the other cheek and, again, they may have been wise to calculate the marginal revenue lost because someone else was selling Ts vs the embarrassment they caused themselves. But I'd still be very surprised if a court of law ultimately sided with the people making these shirts.

It also has to do with timing - Those shop owners have been producing those type of shirts since the 80's. Nothing was said by the NFL when money was not being made.

But as soon as the kick went through the uprights, now the NFL wants Who Dat shirts off the shelves.

If the Saints lose, the NFL will pull back again. But I expect if they win, we have not heard the last of this.

As hard as it would be to prove Black and Gold FDL, by itself, is property of the league, it would be harder to prove that a purple and gold one (two colors commonly associated with Mardi Gras), by itself was owned by LSU.

Unless of course the Purple and Gold was blended together to appear like Tiger stripes.....

More No Fun League BS

After a packed screening of the Saints' NFC Championship victory at Uptown's Prytania Theatre, co-owner Robert Brunet has had hundreds of requests for tickets to view the Super Bowl at the historic theater this Sunday.

But instead of preparing for the game, Brunet has been haggling with NFL lawyers for more than a week after he received a cease-and-desist letter telling him that the free screening had violated copyright laws.

A similar story played out at the Sheraton New Orleans hotel, whose managers had planned a massive projection of the game on the side of the Canal Street hotel but eventually ruled it out because of legal concerns.

"It's a control issue," Brunet said. "From a purely technical and legal standpoint, the NFL has a right to do this. But at the end of the day, why does this even matter to them?"

Now that seems lame and I can't see how this is any different than a sports bar having the game on TV. In both cases, the venue is not directly profiting from airing the game (no cover charge) but indirectly profiting because they are selling food and booze and the primary reason why people are there is because the game is on.

Provided they actually air the broadcast and all it's commercials, those actually paying for the broadcast shouldn't have a beef either.

Hell, as I think of it, I can't see why the NFL doesn't extort money out of every bar that airs it's games the same way ASCAP and BMI do from every restaurant that plays music.

More importantly, in the wake of the whole T-shirt debacle, maybe the NFL needs to start in on some damage control and just back off a bit with NOLA.

Edited by detlef

Seems pretty clear to me...

Summary of Use of NFL Trademarks [in Marketing & Promotions] for the Super Bowl...

You cannot broadcast or print:

* “Super Bowl”

* “Super Sunday”

* The Super Bowl logo

* “NFL”, “AFC”, or “NFC”

* “National Football League”

* “American Football Conference”

* ‘National Football Conference”

* Any team name (e.g., “Buccaneers") or nickname ("Bucs")

* Who Dat

We have a local dinner movie theater that in seasons passed has shown prime time Colts games on the silver screen. No admission is charged but they serve food. I wonder how that is any different...or maybe the NFL just doesn't know about it.

We have a local dinner movie theater that in seasons passed has shown prime time Colts games on the silver screen. No admission is charged but they serve food. I wonder how that is any different...or maybe the NFL just doesn't know about it.

They know now.... :wacko: