[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greg Williams

Big Ernie McCracken

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...injure-manning/

Gregg Williams suggests the Saints want to injure Manning

Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2010 8:48 AM ET

During their march through the playoffs, the New Orleans Saints have battered and bruised (and nearly broken) two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks -- Kurt Warner of the Cardinals and Brett Favre of the Vikings.

They're now setting their sights on a third man whose oversized forehead eventually will be memorialized in bronze.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams recently told a Nashville radio station that the Saints plan to rattle Colts quarterback Peyton Manning by hitting him whenever they can, and that the goal is to knock him out of the game.

"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

You hope he doesn't get back up and play again. (We wonder what Archie thinks about his former team's objectives?)

In other words, "We'll gladly trade a penalty or two if it means that we get to see Curtis Painter instead of Peyton Manning."

In other words, the NFL should consider fining not only the players when dirty hits are applied to quarterbacks, but also their coaches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the Saints admit they play dirty. Does Williams coach from the sidelines? Maybe a couple of Colts players should "accidentally" plow into him when running out of bounds. :D

Go Colts. :wacko:

So the Saints admit they play dirty. Does Williams coach from the sidelines? Maybe a couple of Colts players should "accidentally" plow into him when running out of bounds. :D

Go Colts. :D

:wacko:

ask ANY defensive player and they'll tell you that their goal is to knock opposing players, particularly the QB, out of the game. They want to hurt him bad enough that he can't come back in, but not so bad that he can't play the next week.

Any hit that doesn't draw a fine by the league is fair by me.

+1 that's what they get paid to do....if you don't like getting hit, don't carry the ball.

:wacko:

+1 that's what they get paid to do....if you don't like getting hit, don't carry the ball.

They will still hit him even if he doesn't have the ball. They tried to take Favre out at all costs. On one play, Favre handed the ball off and the play went to the left. McCray came around and nailed him hard. I thought that was pretty fricken dirty and intent to injure.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...Official-Review

JMO, but the rules on protecting the QB are just getting to the point of stupid. I also think it's funny that the Saints are being called dirty yet the same thing that we got called for early in the game was done to Brees in OT but that's seemingly ok with everyone.

They will still hit him even if he doesn't have the ball. They tried to take Favre out at all costs. On one play, Favre handed the ball off and the play went to the left. McCray came around and nailed him hard. I thought that was pretty fricken dirty and intent to injure.

I remember that play and it deserved 15 yards IMO. Don't forget though, the guys in purple were trying to flatten Romo the week before.

I remember that play and it deserved 15 yards IMO. Don't forget though, the guys in purple were trying to flatten Romo the week before.

Bullit made the same hit on Sanchez, shown in the NFL video I posted above. Not saying the rules didn't warrant another 15 yds, but more wondering why Jets fans aren't up in arms about it like everyone else is about the Saints.

i can't speak for BEM, (we are not one in the same), -but i'm guessing the point of the post is that it is fine to go after Manning and to declare you want to put pressure on him and make his day difficult. it's even ok to have a gameplan to impose physicality on the opposing QB....but to announce your intentions regarding the intensity of the hits you want to lay on him is counter-productive and a little tacky.

i can't speak for BEM, (we are not one in the same), -but i'm guessing the point of the post is that it is fine to go after Manning and to declare you want to put pressure on him and make his day difficult. it's even ok to have a gameplan to impose physicality on the opposing QB....but to announce your intentions regarding the intensity of the hits you want to lay on him is counter-productive and a little tacky.

Uhhhh. Sure that works fine if there was no mention of hit men in the comments.

Bullit made the same hit on Sanchez, shown in the NFL video I posted above. Not saying the rules didn't warrant another 15 yds, but more wondering why Jets fans aren't up in arms about it like everyone else is about the Saints.

not sure if it's the play you're talking about but Sanchez got BLASTED long after getting rid of the ball and my friends and I saw a flag come in and thought it was for that. They called holding on the Jets. I thought Ryan was gonna stroke out on the sidelines. :wacko:

meh... it's football. I have no problem with it.

I suspect they went public with the game plan to try to get into Peyton's head.

He's arguably the best QB ever, so I'm not sure how well that will work, but why not try? Why not make him think about it from the very first hard hit.

I think Favre was on the ground about 16-17 times? You know that had to be a factor in the Saints' victory, yeah? The *only* way to be the Colts is to hurt Manning.

Bingo

ask ANY defensive player and they'll tell you that their goal is to knock opposing players, particularly the QB, out of the game. They want to hurt him bad enough that he can't come back in, but not so bad that he can't play the next week.

Any hit that doesn't draw a fine by the league is fair by me.

That's not what the article is saying. It's saying they'll take penalties in order to hurt Manning, which is piss poor form, and has no place in the super bowl.

"We'll gladly trade a penalty or two if it means that we get to see Curtis Painter instead of Peyton Manning."

:wacko: What will be poetic is if the ding up Manning, then on the next Saints drive, Brees gets smashed and is out for the game.

I was dead set on rooting for the Saints, but reading this kind of trash is swaying my opinion. Last week I thought the saints teetered on the edge of Old School defense and close to dirty... With this verbage coming from Williams, it looks like it was there inention to hurt Warner/Favre/and now Manning. Dirty DC for sure.

That's not what the article is saying. It's saying they'll take penalties in order to hurt Manning, which is piss poor form, and has no place in the super bowl.

:wacko: What will be poetic is if the ding up Manning, then on the next Saints drive, Brees gets smashed and is out for the game.

I was dead set on rooting for the Saints, but reading this kind of trash is swaying my opinion. Last week I thought the saints teetered on the edge of Old School defense and close to dirty... With this verbage coming from Williams, it looks like it was there inention to hurt Warner/Favre/and now Manning. Dirty DC for sure.

I completely agree. The Saints didn't sack Favre once, yet he was beat up on throughout the game. The refs let the Saints get away with late hits to Favre.

Game planning to hit the QB after the ball has been released goes against the spirit of the game. It would be naive to think that this type of game planning doesn't occur all the type, but it's still bad form. At least have the decency to shut up about it.

Edited by electricrelish

The Saints might do this to Manning once but they would be fools to. They surely know that that will conclude Brees' game on the next possession because one of the Colts players is going to ignore the whistle and lay Brees out, ejection and penalty or not. Wouldn't you do that if you were Caldwell?

Edit: In fact, I might just phone Payton tomorrow and let him know the consequences if his DC tries that kind of stuff.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

1)Saints took numerous cheap shots at Favre

2)Williams is talking about "remember me" shots and insinuating at trying to hurt the best QB in the game in the biggest game of the year.

Both shots were cheap though.

I thought the Saints played dirty against the Vikings. But they did what they had to do to win the game. I don't fault them for that but that doesn't mean I'm going to be rooting for them in the superbowl either.

Go Colts!

Edited by Piles

Wow. I am surprised by a bunch of these posts. I guess you can read into it what ever you want but from these responses it seems as though many of you would like to see the NFL trade the pads for flags.

If a team's trying to injure another player, then yes. It looked to me like that was their intent against Minnesota and now Williams has pretty much said that is his intent against the Colts. IMO, that strategy lacks class is playing the game the wrong way. You should try to beat their best mano a mano.

pretty much agree here....coaches usually don't verbalize what the intent of the defense is, so I think thats what rubs people the wrong way.

That being said, this is likely the the same intent all 32 teams each and every weekend of the NFL season (except maybe opponents of the Raiders, who likely want to make sure Jamarcus Russell stays IN the game at all costs),