[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greg Williams

Big Ernie McCracken

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a team's trying to injure another player, then yes. It looked to me like that was their intent against Minnesota and now Williams has pretty much said that is his intent against the Colts. IMO, that strategy lacks class is playing the game the wrong way. You should try to beat their best mano a mano.

The Saints D is very physical. Dirty? I don't see it and there was a great example to the contrary in the game against the cardinals. After Warner had been hurt and came back 3 Saints defenders had a shot to finish him off in the 2nd half. Once it was clear that the play in the back field was over they not only didn't nail him they held him up and it appeared as though they were making sure he was ok.

I will say again that way too much is being read into what was said by Williams. Is it dirty every time a QB is hit after he releases the ball? If you answer no to that question then please explain to me why when the hit is made that you would not want to rattle the QB's cage?

Football is a very physical game. If defenders don't hit the offensive players with everything they got then they are not doing there job. Plain and simple!

The game has been pussified so much that even the fans appear to be getting soft now.

Minnesota's line stuggled with protection towards the end of the year. Bot Warner and Favre are pushing 40. I don't find it surprising they had some success being physical with them. Manning does a great job of getting rid of the ball and not taking many hits. It's not a new strategy. Make the QB uncomfortable. It's their best shot at winning. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's not cheap shots.

Minnesota's line stuggled with protection towards the end of the year. Bot Warner and Favre are pushing 40. I don't find it surprising they had some success being physical with them. Manning does a great job of getting rid of the ball and not taking many hits. It's not a new strategy. Make the QB uncomfortable. It's their best shot at winning. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's not cheap shots.

I agree with this. I said it in another post as well. Manning will be far tougher to hit at all.

One thing not mentioned in all these posts is the effect Williams' comment may have on the officiating itself. Sure, Williams may have been trying to get in Manning's head, but I can you assure the refs and league have heard the comments too. Regardless of the intent of the comments, methinks it was poor form on Williams' part to put the REFS on notice that they plan to deliver some hits to Manning. And while you think the stripes will call a penalty ONLY if it actually IS a penalty, these sort of comments by Williams may well backfire come game-time - meaning if it's close, they're probably going to get the flag.

Edited by Cunning Runt

That's not what the article is saying. It's saying they'll take penalties in order to hurt Manning, which is piss poor form, and has no place in the super bowl.

:wacko: What will be poetic is if the ding up Manning, then on the next Saints drive, Brees gets smashed and is out for the game.

I was dead set on rooting for the Saints, but reading this kind of trash is swaying my opinion. Last week I thought the saints teetered on the edge of Old School defense and close to dirty... With this verbage coming from Williams, it looks like it was there inention to hurt Warner/Favre/and now Manning. Dirty DC for sure.

PON, the ARTICLE says that, not Williams & that supposed quoted line from Williams that you posted was inferred by the article, not something he actually said. Listen to the actual interview.

I now completely dislike Gregg Williams. Laying 'Remember Me' shots on a quarterback is one thing, but hoping he doesn't get back up again is classless. He's admitting that they're going to be taking cheap shots at Manning in an attempt to take him out of the game. In my mind, the NFL should fine Williams for those comments.
He never said or insinuated any of that.

The Saints D is very physical. Dirty? I don't see it and there was a great example to the contrary in the game against the cardinals. After Warner had been hurt and came back 3 Saints defenders had a shot to finish him off in the 2nd half. Once it was clear that the play in the back field was over they not only didn't nail him they held him up and it appeared as though they were making sure he was ok.

I will say again that way too much is being read into what was said by Williams. Is it dirty every time a QB is hit after he releases the ball? If you answer no to that question then please explain to me why when the hit is made that you would not want to rattle the QB's cage?

Football is a very physical game. If defenders don't hit the offensive players with everything they got then they are not doing there job. Plain and simple!

The game has been pussified so much that even the fans appear to be getting soft now.

Agreed 100%. I think it's a shame how these media hounds are allowed to take what is actually said & twist it into something else. Kornholer even went so far as to say Williams has put a bounty on Manning's head.

I hope the Saints D takes this all to heart & plasters Manning to the turf. Am I wrong for saying that? I'm sorry, I thought this was football...

Trust me, you can't lay a finger on Manning without getting flagged. If the Saints are stupid enough to hit Manning late, the only thing they'll do is rack up 15 yard penalties. Manning is tougher than you think. I've seen him take some wicked hits, and return to the game.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts are still keeping their mouths shut.

On Tuesday, Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams promised his players would put a couple of "remember-me shots" on four-time league MVP Peyton Manning in next week's Super Bowl. Williams made his comments on WGFX, a Tennessee radio station.

Indy doesn't seem to care, responding the same way it has with other big-talkers this season -- giving them the silent treatment.

Coach Jim Caldwell said the Colts couldn't control what other teams say and that opponents are welcome to use whatever motivational tools they deem necessary.

He said Manning, to his knowledge, had not responded to Williams' comments.

from espn.com

Edited by CaptainHook

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts are still keeping their mouths shut.

On Tuesday, Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams promised his players would put a couple of "remember-me shots" on four-time league MVP Peyton Manning in next week's Super Bowl. Williams made his comments on WGFX, a Tennessee radio station.

Former Saints running back Deuce McAllister talks about what he was thinking when the field goal that sent the Saints to the Super Bowl went through. He also shares what a Super Bowl would mean to the city of New Orleans.

Indy doesn't seem to care, responding the same way it has with other big-talkers this season -- giving them the silent treatment.

Coach Jim Caldwell said the Colts couldn't control what other teams say and that opponents are welcome to use whatever motivational tools they deem necessary.

He said Manning, to his knowledge, had not responded to Williams' comments.

from espn.com

What does that line have to do with the article? Are they implying that the Saints are talking to the media but the Colts are "keeping their mouths shut?"

Greg Williams does one interview that is taken out of context and all of a sudden the Saints are a trash-talking dirty team. Thank you national media, it's obvious you never wanted us here to begin with. Congrats on turning everyone against us.

Edited by rajncajn

What does that line have to do with the article? Are they implying that the Saints are talking to the media but the Colts are "keeping their mouths shut?"

Greg Williams does one interview that is taken out of context and all of a sudden the Saints are trash-talking dirty players. Thank you national media, it's obvious you never wanted us here to begin with. Congrats on turning everyone against us.

My bad. Bad copy and paste job. That one line came from a sidebar. C'mon the Saints are everyone's underdog here. Just a little smack talk to stir the pot. Don't get so upset. :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

Greg Williams does one interview that is taken out of context and all of a sudden the Saints are a trash-talking dirty team. Thank you national media, it's obvious you never wanted us here to begin with. Congrats on turning everyone against us.

I see your point. I don't think the Saints are a dirty team. I think they took some borderline cheap shots at Favre but a few cheap shots doesn't necessarily equate to being a dirty team IMO. I hate Williams for other reasons mainly because he was a horrible head coach for the Bills and has taken some shots (even if they are true) at the city which weren't really necessary. Focus on the winning the superbowl and shut your pie hole Williams. Is it really that hard to do?

My bad. Bad copy and paste job. That one line came from a sidebar. C'mon the Saints are everyone's underdog here. Just a little smack talk to stir the pot. Don't get so upset. :wacko:

I just get tired of the man always tryin to bring me down.

Honestly, to finally be here only to have the media start throwing poopy balls at us because they got their collective hard-on for Favre whacked.

Be honest, if the Vikings had won & the same thing happened to Brees, do you think anybody would care?

One thing not mentioned in all these posts is the effect Williams' comment may have on the officiating itself. Sure, Williams may have been trying to get in Manning's head, but I can you assure the refs and league have heard the comments too. Regardless of the intent of the comments, methinks it was poor form on Williams' part to put the REFS on notice that they plan to deliver some hits to Manning. And while you think the stripes will call a penalty ONLY if it actually IS a penalty, these sort of comments by Williams may well backfire come game-time - meaning if it's close, they're probably going to get the flag.

exactly. that's why i called the comments counter-productive. this is also the reason i suspect the sub-title of this thread is "shhhh"

I just get tired of the man always tryin to bring me down.

Honestly, to finally be here only to have the media start throwing poopy balls at us because they got their collective hard-on for Favre whacked.

Be honest, if the Vikings had won & the same thing happened to Brees, do you think anybody would care?

Don't worry what everybody else says. The Saints are in the Super Bowl. It's too much fun!

:D

relax man. If anything, the Saints are gonna be everyone's darling...everyone roots for the 'dog in the Super Bowl. Besides, I would'nt give 2 poopys what the media or anyone else was saying if my team was in the Bowl. Just enjoy it. You never know how long it's gonna be until they get back. :wacko:

Congrats on turning everyone against us.

The NFL fined Saints DE Bobby McCray $20,000 for doing it the Greg Williams' way. I wonder if they heard the interview too. Gotta love it when Williams started laughing in the interview when he talked about cutting off the head and the body will fall. He thinks taking shots at the QB after the ball has been released is funny.

Edited by electricrelish

The NFL fined Saints DE Bobby McCray $20,000 for doing it the Greg Williams' way. I wonder if they heard the interview too. Gotta love it when Williams started laughing in the interview when he talked about cutting off the head and the body will fall. He thinks taking shots at the QB after the ball has been released is funny.

:wacko: IT'S FOOTBALL !!!

I wonder if Melvin Bullit was fined for the hit on Sanchez or Ray Edwards was fined for the hit on Brees or Dockett was fined for the shot on Brees' knee the week before. :wacko: