[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's the Huddle? Pre-season rankings rankings

The 13ers

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01...he-2009-winner/

The 2009 preseason accuracy results are as follows…

Most Accurate Rankings Across All Positions:

1. CBSSports.com

2. KFFL

3. ProFootballWeekly.com

4. Draft Analyzer Ultimate

5. Sports Illustrated

6. Draft Analyzer Guru

7. Fantasy Mojo

8. Lester’s Legends

9. FFCalculator

10. Rotohog

11. Football Guys

12. Fantasy Football Trader

13. Bruno Boys

14. Sporting News

15. RealTime Fantasy Sports

So for each player I took the difference between their preseason and end-of-season rankings and squared it, which penalized highly inaccurate rankings a bit more than those rankings that were just off by a few ranking spots

what the hell? i'm no john nash, but this makes no sense to me.

Edited by Jackass

A lot depends on the metrics you want to use and how you want to compare. I have seen other such things that literally have names at the top of that one at the bottom of another. It depends on how many players deep you go and it really harshly penalizes when you were exactly rigtht but the guy was injured. Missing games obviously drops your rankings significantly. Plus the scoring scenario you use also can make some rankings seem higher and others lower. This is also why we make an official Huddle ranking that is somewhat independent of scoring system.

Squaring the difference is a new one on me too.

statistics. It's been years since I studied it in depth, but that's standard procedure.

Fifth down number crunching is pretty good stuff.

i've taken statistics and you're thinking (i'm guessing) of standard deviation which measures the variation from the mean.

I'm pretty sure the use of squaring the difference to amplify large misses is not standard procedure.

Yes it amplifies misses, but not in any logical way. Why not just take the ranking times it by 110 and divide by the square root of 13, then divide it by the size of each players johnson?