[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFLPA Leader: Lockout After 2010 Likely...

http://sports.iwon.com/news/02042010/v8587.html

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith paints a bleak picture of the league's labor situation.

Smith says the likelihood of a lockout after the upcoming season is "14" on a scale of 1 to 10. He notes that the league recently received a $5 billion extension on its network television deals even if no games are played in 2011. He regards that as proof owners are preparing for a lockout.

Smith reiterated the union's demand that the NFL's 32 teams open their books and show who is losing money and how much.

Still trying to decide if scabs playing gives the Chargers a better chance at winning a Super Bowl or not.

I pretty much always side with the owners on this type of stuff. You will always find players willing to play a game for $$$, but it's a rare find to have someone shell out $500,000,000 on an entertainment venture.

We will continue to pay more,

Speak for yourself. But your point is a good one. As long as people shell out the money and/or buy the merchandise, it'll only get worse before (if?) it gets better. And people will, no matter how ridiculous it all gets.

He notes that the league recently received a $5 billion extension on its network television deals even if no games are played in 2011.
I would LOVE to see the logic behind the network's thinking on this part of the agreement. :wacko:

If they end up locking out the players for a season, you won't have a season, period. No scabs, no replacement players, nothing. Dark stadiums, that's it. If it were a strike by the players, then you would likely see owners bringing in replacements like they did in the past. Hockey's last work stoppage was a lockout, and there was no season as a result.

And I wouldn't exactly side with the owners on this one. I think a lot of the issues they are having have to deal with revenue sharing and the big market teams don't really want to share with the smaller market teams. Even though the small market teams shell out big $$ for top talent as a result of the revenue sharing. But hey, I could be wrong.

Then again, the NFLPA aren't exactly angels themselves.

And I wouldn't exactly side with the owners on this one. I think a lot of the issues they are having have to deal with revenue sharing and the big market teams don't really want to share with the smaller market teams. Even though the small market teams shell out big $$ for top talent as a result of the revenue sharing. But hey, I could be wrong.

Yes the Jerry Jones and Dan Snyders want more of the money since they egos fan bases/markets are bigger then the smaller teams. But I don't think that is what the stumbling block is. I think some of the owners are footing an increasing amount of operational expenses such as new stadiums that use to be paid for by the local government, or at least received breaks/incentives that offset those costs. They are having to spend more, and don't want THEIR income to decrease, so they are asking the players to take a pay decrease instead. Since the players are the ones that make the team and the team is nothing without them, don't want to take less and may want even more. Irresistible force, meet immovable object.

One side will have to give. And the player's war chest dwarfs what the owners have thanks to guaranteed TV revenues. In the end, I think the players are going to take a pay cut, but not as big as what the owners want. And the owners are going to make up the difference by going after the fans.

Yes the Jerry Jones and Dan Snyders want more of the money since they egos fan bases/markets are bigger then the smaller teams.

How on Earth did Al Davis not get mentioned with the two of them?

I can be kicker

At 6'3", I'll play WR.

I've had a decent amount of success at the recreational/flag level... :wacko: