[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HOF Finalists announced

budlitebrad

Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson, John Randle, Jerry Rice, and Emmitt Smith are the five modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010. They are joined by seniors committee finalists Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little.

My guess is Rice, Smith, Grimm, and LeBeau. Maybe Randle...

Edited by budlitebrad

Don Hutson. Look it up sonny.

:D

I wasn't around from 1935-1945 to watch him so I can't argue if he was truly better. Howver, I'll stick with Jerry as the greatest ever in my lifetime - still heart breaking that the Bills passed on Rice not once but twice in 1985 :wacko:

E2A: Congrats to all the inductees

Edited by Piles

Rickey finally makes it the same year that the Saints make their first trip to the Superbowl. This has been an awesome year for fans. :wacko:

And the fact that the Saints are in the SB are probably the main reason he made it in in the first place - at least this year. Positive Saints' mojo at work.

He hadn't even made it to the top 25 before this year. They were talking on Sirius NFL Radio that it's pretty uncommon for a guy who's been eligible as long as he has (they said 10yrs) to get in without first being at least a semi-finalist (top 25).

And Dent gets passed over again. :wacko:

Not saying that this class is undeserving, but HE was a SB MVP, had one of the highest sacks/game @0.92, and really was an anchor on the team.

Just saying....

And Dent gets passed over again. :wacko:

Not saying that this class is undeserving, but HE was a SB MVP, had one of the highest sacks/game @0.92, and really was an anchor on the team.

Just saying....

Totally agree with this. The Ricky Jackson pick surprises me, but I'm happy for the Saints fans and organization. However, I'm THRILLED that Floyd Little is getting his due.

Dent will get in someday.....hopefully it won't take 30+ years like it did for Little.

Lot of guys got passed over again but no Shannon Sharpe?

Really?

Agree 100%. Sharpe was THE dominant TE in the NFL for nearly a decade. Someone who was that good relative to his contemporaries for that long and has the bling to show for it deserved to be in on his first ballot. He'll get in for sure, but that's whose place I think Rickey Jackson took. Again, not that Jackson doesn't deserve to get in, but just in comparing careers, Sharpe's is more hall-worthy without a doubt. Just think Jackson did have positive Saints' mojo on his side.

And the fact that the Saints are in the SB are probably the main reason he made it in in the first place - at least this year. Positive Saints' mojo at work.

He hadn't even made it to the top 25 before this year. They were talking on Sirius NFL Radio that it's pretty uncommon for a guy who's been eligible as long as he has (they said 10yrs) to get in without first being at least a semi-finalist (top 25).

Rickey Jackson was one of the most dominant LBs to ever play the game. His only drawbacks were that his career was always overshadowed by the attention the media gave to Lawrence Taylor and that he played on a Saints team that never really had an offense strong enough to get them past the San Francisco 49ers, who coincidentally were considered one of the greatest teams of all time during his career with the Saints.

Even Bill Parcells said that Rickey Jackson was every bit as good as LT.

128 sacks, 8 int, 40 FF, 29 FR, 1173 tackes

Edited by rajncajn

Rickey Jackson was one of the most dominant LBs to ever play the game. His only drawbacks were that his career was always overshadowed by the attention the media gave to Lawrence Taylor and that he played on a Saints team that never really had an offense strong enough to get them past the San Francisco 49ers, who coincidentally were considered one of the greatest teams of all time during his career with the Saints.

Even Bill Parcells said that Rickey Jackson was every bit as good as LT.

128 sacks, 8 int, 40 FF, 29 FR, 1173 tackes

I hear you. I have my opinion. You have yours. It's all good.

Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson, John Randle, Jerry Rice, and Emmitt Smith are the five modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2010. They are joined by seniors committee finalists Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little.

Can a Bronco fan make a case for Little? I don't see it.

Don Hutson. Look it up sonny.

:wacko:

Hutson was lapping the field (he was finishing with more rec yds than some TEAMS had passing yds) but I think Rice's insane level of production over a longer career and his SIGNIFICANT career margins over his contemporaries in a more passer-friendly era make him #1.

Still, I think it's Rice #1, Hutson #2, and then everyone else way behind (I'd put Lance Alworth at #3).

The argument for Floyd Little:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/vbull...loyd#post245333

By the standards of his time (isn’t that how these guys should be judged?) he was very good. Offenses were still in the stone age, and it only took 901 yards for him to get the AFC rushing title in 1970. FL played on some horrendous Bronco’s teams (I think I’ve read that he had something like 26 diff QB’s during his Bronco career) in what was then a backwater market in the late 60’s – early 70’s. Even so he still finished 7th in the all time leading rusher category when he retired. The guys ahead of him on the list at the time of his retirement were Brown, Simpson, Jim Taylor, Joe Perry, Leroy Kelly, and John Henry Johnson. Each of those guys have gone in the HOF already. Johnson is the lowest on the list and FL is right on his tail in rushing yds and TD’s but played in 31 fewer career games. Little also finished with 2418 receiving yards which puts him only behind Brown (2499) of the guys on that list, so he was one of the original dual threats.

He went to 5 Pro Bowls (when that meant something) and was All Pro 1 year playing for a team that never got more than 7 wins during his tenure. There is also a good case to be made that he saved football in Denver b/c they were considering moving the franchise to several different cities. God knows why he decided to play for the crappy AFL team the Bronco’s were at the time, but if he’d gone to play for the NY Jets (I believe the NFL team that drafted him), I gotta believe he’d have been a household name and in the HOF years ago.

Probably similar to my argument for Sterling Sharpe, so I probably shouldn't quibble with it. Fairly compelling, though I might say Little is just "very good" and a bit of a borderline guy.