[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts fan sent home from school is Louisiana

CaptainHook

Brandon Frost has sported Colts spamshirts all his life and faithfully plops himself in front of the TV on game days. His mom lives just a few yards from the Colts complex.

His fan credentials are impeccable.

But Brandon's latest act of dedication -- wearing a Joseph Addai jersey -- ended with the 17-year-old being tossed out of school.

At an Indianapolis school, the jersey would have been fine, but Brandon moved to Louisiana three years ago. That's Saints country, definitely not Colts Nation.

The principal at Maurepas (La.) High School had told students that the dress code would be lifted Friday for a black-and-gold day, the colors of the Saints. Brandon figured it was only fair for him to wear a Colts jersey.

"I wasn't trying to anger them," Brandon said. "I just wanted to express myself."

But he hadn't made it through first period before the principal pulled him out of class and told him he wasn't allowed to wear a Colts jersey on Saints Day.

Brandon explained that he thought that wasn't fair, he said, and told the principal that his father had said to just come home if the school hassled him.

That's where the story gets a bit murky. Brandon said the principal got angry and told him to do that.

"About all I remember the principal saying after that is if I liked Indiana so well I should just go back," Brandon said.

But Keith Martin, a Livingston Parish School Board member, told the Associated Press that the boy was told only that he couldn't wear the blue jersey at school, not that he had to go home. The dress code exemption, he said, applied only to students wearing black and gold.

After a confusing day, Martin said he thinks the district understands what happened.

The principal, he said, acknowledges he shouldn't have made the crack about going back to Indiana. But Brandon also had been warned the day before that he would get in trouble if he wore the Colts jersey.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana intervened on Brandon's behalf Friday, faxing the school a letter decrying the move as a violation of the boy's free-speech rights and asking that any discipline be removed from his record.

When reached by the Associated Press, Principal Steven Vampran declined to comment.

Brandon's mother, Lisa Frost, said she was outraged to hear that her son had gotten in trouble for wearing a Colts jersey when everyone else was out of dress code to wear Saints colors.

"I was furious," she said Friday night from her home in the Oaks of Eagle Creek apartment complex, which abuts the Colts practice facility. "I was very upset about it, I didn't think it was right. They violated his rights."

The way his father, Larry Frost, figures it, the school shouldn't have had a problem, given that the teenager was wearing an Addai jersey.

The Colts running back is a graduate of Louisiana State University.

link

Edited by CaptainHook

Maurepas (La.) High School: stay classy. Gotta love them there schools that teach kids the importance of fair play, freedom of expression, team spirit, and not judging someone harshly because they dare to be different. :wacko:

lol @ the ACLU getting involved. Things must be a bit slow since Obama got elected

:D