[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bloody Mary's

rajncajn

I know there has been some various discussions on this, but I bought a mix called Zing Zang for our Superbowl party that was very good & thought I'd share. Not sure how it compares to Major Peters as I've only recently taken a liking to them, but I thought they were pretty damn good & had a nice bite (spice) to them.

Edited by rajncajn

I know there has been some various discussions on this, but I bought a mix called Zing Zang for our Superbowl party that was very good & thought I'd share. Not sure how it compares to Major Peters as I've only recently taken a liking to them, but I thought they were pretty damn good & had a nice bite (spice) to them.

If you're not making your own, Zing Zang is the only mix you should use, IMO. Very good.

from alton brown.... this looked awefully good.

Ingredients

1 3/4 pounds cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and dried

2 teaspoons hot sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

6 ounces tomato vodka, recipe follows

Directions

Remove the stems from the tomatoes. Put the tomatoes, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and salt into a blender, cover and blend on high speed for 1 1/2 minutes.

Fill an ice cube tray with about 2 cups of the juice and freeze overnight.

Pour the remaining juice into a lidded container and reserve, on the counter, overnight.

Just before serving, put 3 frozen cubes into each of 4 Collins glasses and add 1 1/2 ounces of vodka to each glass. Stir the reserved juice, pour 4 ounces into each glass and serve immediately.

Tomato Vodka:

1 pound ripe tomatoes

1 (750 ml) bottle 80 proof vodka

Cut each of the tomatoes into 8 pieces and put them into a large glass jar. Add the vodka, stir to combine, and cover. Put in a cool, dark place for at least 5 days and up to 7 days, stirring every day. After 7 days, strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard the solids.

To store, pour the tomato vodka back into its original bottle, and keep in a cool, dark place.

Yield: 1 (750 ml) bottle

Have no recipe, but a local tavern uses dijon mustard (and Grey Goose) in their recipe called the "Frenchie."

I have started using the dijon to rave reviews. Plus I just recently discovered cocktail onions. It is a Bloody renaissance in my household.

I saw that Alton Brown episode and it did look interesting. I may try making the tomato vodka.

However, I firmly believe that the best Bloody Mary's all start with regular (not spicy) V8 Juice instead of tomato juice. Horseradish, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and a touch of steak sauce round it out. Garnish with fresh green pepper and vidalia onion rings, cubes of cheddar cheese and pepperoni slices for a complete breakfast.

i am a big fan of replacing the horseraddish with wasabi and using lime instead of lemon.

I will give this a go. I like the wasabi idea.

I saw that Alton Brown episode and it did look interesting. I may try making the tomato vodka.

However, I firmly believe that the best Bloody Mary's all start with regular (not spicy) V8 Juice instead of tomato juice. Horseradish, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and a touch of steak sauce round it out. Garnish with fresh green pepper and vidalia onion rings, cubes of cheddar cheese and pepperoni slices for a complete breakfast.

Besides the garnish, I use celery or pickle spears instead of green pepper and onion rings, this is pretty much how I make them. I will also add a pinch of celery salt. Outside of that, spot on. Although I may try some dijon now. Sounds interesting.

We start brunch on Sunday at Dos Perros. Today and tomorrow, my bartender and I will be creating ours. Besides the "Maria Claro" which will be served up using the clear liquid strained from our pico de gallo and mixed with tequilla, we'll be making our take on a more traditional, vodka based one as well as a green one using a juice made from tomatillos, celery, jalapenos, scallions, cilantro, and cucumbers.

We shall see.

We start brunch on Sunday at Dos Perros. Today and tomorrow, my bartender and I will be creating ours. Besides the "Maria Claro" which will be served up using the clear liquid strained from our pico de gallo and mixed with tequilla, we'll be making our take on a more traditional, vodka based one as well as a green one using a juice made from tomatillos, celery, jalapenos, scallions, cilantro, and cucumbers.

We shall see.

I am interested in the Green Mary, let me know how it turns out. I am not a fan of Bloody Marys, but I love Tomatillos and Jalapenos!

I am interested in the Green Mary, let me know how it turns out. I am not a fan of Bloody Marys, but I love Tomatillos and Jalapenos!

Just got back from brunch. First off, I'm very happy with the turn out and the fact that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The cocktails were tasty as hell. Our michelada is delicious also.

At any rate, the Green mary basically takes our salsa verde and adds more juiced jalapeno, celery, and lime. I ended up with this top of the line industrial juicer sometime along the way, so it's pretty cool for this sort of thing. You could juice a freaking tree with it if you wanted to.. I'll get the exact recipe. It's pretty damned tasty but is missing something. I think we need to grind up some white anchovies into it. After all worstchesire sauce has anchovies it in. Not talking a bunch, just a little and I think that will pump up the middle of the drink.

At any rate, a work in progress but certainly fine enough to serve as is.

Just got back from brunch. First off, I'm very happy with the turn out and the fact that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The cocktails were tasty as hell. Our michelada is delicious also.

At any rate, the Green mary basically takes our salsa verde and adds more juiced jalapeno, celery, and lime. I ended up with this top of the line industrial juicer sometime along the way, so it's pretty cool for this sort of thing. You could juice a freaking tree with it if you wanted to.. I'll get the exact recipe. It's pretty damned tasty but is missing something. I think we need to grind up some white anchovies into it. After all worstchesire sauce has anchovies it in. Not talking a bunch, just a little and I think that will pump up the middle of the drink.

At any rate, a work in progress but certainly fine enough to serve as is.

instead of Jalapeno, use Hatch chilies, the flavor is sublime.