[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wood for smoking

Perchoutofwater

I'm always looking for wood. I can typically get all the mesquite I want just taking the chainsaw to the deer lease, but have a hard time finding hickory and pecan, so I've been buying that at the grocery store, and have considered buying some on-line. Either way it is relatively expensive. Well we were in Academy Sports + Outdoors getting my daughter some athletic shoes. As mentioned in the tail-gate I've been looking for a grill so I decided to check out what they had. All their grills were cheap crap, but I came across some large bags of mesquite, hickory and pecan for less than 1/2 of what I was paying at the grocery store, and it was all in small 10-12" logs about 4-5" in diameter.

P.S. for Valentines Day my wife bought me a Weber S-670. We bought it from a local dealer. They didn't have an LP one in stock, so they had to order it, but i should have it in a week or two, delivered already completely assembled. :wacko:

I'm always looking for wood. I can typically get all the mesquite I want just taking the chainsaw to the deer lease, but have a hard time finding hickory and pecan, so I've been buying that at the grocery store, and have considered buying some on-line. Either way it is relatively expensive. Well we were in Academy Sports + Outdoors getting my daughter some athletic shoes. As mentioned in the tail-gate I've been looking for a grill so I decided to check out what they had. All their grills were cheap crap, but I came across some large bags of mesquite, hickory and pecan for less than 1/2 of what I was paying at the grocery store, and it was all in small 10-12" logs about 4-5" in diameter.

P.S. for Valentines Day my wife bought me a Weber S-670. We bought it from a local dealer. They didn't have an LP one in stock, so they had to order it, but i should have it in a week or two, delivered already completely assembled. :wacko:

www.bbqwoods.com

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

:wacko: i don't seem ta notice a flavor difference but i'm strugglin gettin thru the process and maybe when i nail it wood types will mean somethun

So, you saw my primer on smoking pork butt (Pulled Pork Sandwich), it should cover most of the basic questions that you may have. What specifically are you having trouble with? There's no reason that we can't turn you into the guy that people ask to make BBQ for them.

I've found that these guys are significantly cheaper, especially since I have to get it shipped to the East Coast.

http://www.charcoalstore.com/

Academy is still about 1/2 of that website. You can get 1.5 cubic feet of hickory, mesquite,or pecan for $11. You can also get 20 lbs. of lump charcoal for $8.

Academy is still about 1/2 of that website. You can get 1.5 cubic feet of hickory, mesquite,or pecan for $11. You can also get 20 lbs. of lump charcoal for $8.

You usually get what you pay for with wood. Cheaper woods tend to have more bark and sap in them or are sprayed with chemicals... all of which tend to ruin a good smoke. I don't mind spending more on the wood when I am usually spending a big chunk on the meat...