[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

walmart > whole foods

Azazello1313

I freaking hate Whole Foods. I shop there as rarely as I can get away with and am routinely disappointed with their produce in particular. It comes as no surprise that anyone has better stuff than they do.

I don't find the produce at Whole Foods to be anything special, save that there are things that I can't find at other places.

The meats are another story. I find the quality to be far superior compared to what I can get in the other supermarkets, both in the packaged brands and in the butcher's case. I find it comparable to local butchers, in quality and price, and more convenient in terms of store hours.

I don't find the produce at Whole Foods to be anything special, save that there are things that I can't find at other places.

The meats are another story. I find the quality to be far superior compared to what I can get in the other supermarkets, both in the packaged brands and in the butcher's case. I find it comparable to local butchers, in quality and price, and more convenient in terms of store hours.

And when you consider the fact that "local butchers" are essentially non-existent in most markets, that would be the main reason why I end up there.

And, yes, it's also the one supermarket where you can be about certain they'll have everything you're looking for if you're doing some fancy dinner party. That would be the other reason why I end up there.

And when you consider the fact that "local butchers" are essentially non-existent in most markets, that would be the main reason why I end up there.

And, yes, it's also the one supermarket where you can be about certain they'll have everything you're looking for if you're doing some fancy dinner party. That would be the other reason why I end up there.

+1 and +1

The local joke is that they are called Whole Paycheck because they are also freaking expensive.

+1 and +1

The local joke is that they are called Whole Paycheck because they are also freaking expensive.

uh, that joke ain't local partner

WF is great for meat, seafood, specialty items and such- and I freaking love their hot food and salad bars since I rarely cook.

Expensive, yep - but some of it is worth it

Even if I was masochistic enough to shop at walmart, the very last thing I would buy there is any food which isn't tightly and securely sealed.

My older son likes frosted cheerios.

Wal-mart = about $3.00

Local store (Publix) = about $4.00

There are lots of other examples like this.

We have a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market right by house, and the butcher is leased out by a local butcher shop. All their stuff is either prime or choice and cut to order. I love it.

I guess I wouldn't mind that if I had to have meat from there if that was the case, however we only have Super Wal-marts near me that have pre-packaged cuts. My problem with them is they "enhance" their meat. Basically this amounts to injecting water, salt, and other junk. I tried it once and the very light and minimal seasoning I used made my steak taste like eating a salt shaker. So in the long run even if the price tag says you pay less per pound then a local butcher, it works out to be about even when you take away the enhancer weight. Plus the local guy is almost always going to be using the better but more costly dry aging system as opposed to a wet and environmental control system.

Wal-mart = about $3.00

Of course there are. That's how they kill the local stores. They ran out of shoe, clothing and toy stores to drive out of business; so they needed fresh blood.

Of course there are. That's how they kill the local stores. They ran out of shoe, clothing and toy stores to drive out of business; so they needed fresh blood.

Publix is a huge chain. I'm in a position where I find it quite helpful to save $$.

Wal-mart = about $3.00

Big Lots = $1.50