[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woman banned from restaurant

driveby

If this is true, that is flat-out stupid on the part of the restaurant. I'm certainly no fan of poor tippers and my waiters sure aren't, but they're a part of life. Any professional realizes that poor tippers just balance out the good ones. At both places I run, there are semi-regulars who are routinely stingy in that regard. You just have to shrug and laugh it off. We just make a joke of it. If some waiter manages to break 10% they get get props from the rest of the crew. Nothing else you really can do.

I've spoken plenty on this and think that the whole tipping system is just stupid. That it's one of the very few situations where the consumer gets to decide how much they're going to pay for something, after they've already gotten it, and without even having to negotiate. None the less, it's how the game is played and will be so for, likely, a very long time to come. Fortunately, most know the deal, so waiters do fine.

A restaurant should certainly have the backs of their servers when it comes to people being over the top rude or what-have-you. But this is stupid and is also going to cost these guys big time.

If this is true, that is flat-out stupid on the part of the restaurant. I'm certainly no fan of poor tippers and my waiters sure aren't, but they're a part of life. Any professional realizes that poor tippers just balance out the good ones. At both places I run, there are semi-regulars who are routinely stingy in that regard. You just have to shrug and laugh it off. We just make a joke of it. If some waiter manages to break 10% they get get props from the rest of the crew. Nothing else you really can do.

I've spoken plenty on this and think that the whole tipping system is just stupid. That it's one of the very few situations where the consumer gets to decide how much they're going to pay for something, after they've already gotten it, and without even having to negotiate. None the less, it's how the game is played and will be so for, likely, a very long time to come. Fortunately, most know the deal, so waiters do fine.

A restaurant should certainly have the backs of their servers when it comes to people being over the top rude or what-have-you. But this is stupid and is also going to cost these guys big time.

I must confess that I used to be a less then generous tipper. Then my son got a job waiting tables at Outback one summer. After that any time we went out to dinner as a family if I tried to tip any less than 20% for service that was at least a little better than terrible, I got admonished by my son. Of course it wasn't his money. :wacko:

I think the restaurant owners should make up the difference if there are poor tippers, either that or they restaurant owner should be force to wait on the poor tippers.

detlef, how are the tips distributed when, say a restaurant adds a 17% gratuity onto the bill and the customer tips say 20%?

So lets say the bill is 100bucks, that would be a $37 tip, 20 from the customer, so do you give your waiter/cook the extra $17 or

do you keep that as your profit?

Just curious.

detlef, how are the tips distributed when, say a restaurant adds a 17% gratuity onto the bill and the customer tips say 20%?

So lets say the bill is 100bucks, that would be a $37 tip, 20 from the customer, so do you give your waiter/cook the extra $17 or

Just curious.

The waiter (and their support staff) get the tip.

Just curious.

Jesus, who doesn't give a quick look at the bill? :wacko:

I tend to tip in the 15-20% range for good service. Unless there's a gratuity added onto the bill, in which case I won't pay one cent over the forced gratuity. Well, I might bump it up a little but the server has to knock my socks off.

If this is true, that is flat-out stupid on the part of the restaurant.

well sure, but how about the nerve of the woman herself? nobody wants to serve her because she's a cheap b*tch, so she goes on a public crusade to force them to serve her? wow. I hope they put her picture in every kitchen in her area.

well sure, but how about the nerve of the woman herself? nobody wants to serve her because she's a cheap b*tch, so she goes on a public crusade to force them to serve her? wow. I hope they put her picture in every kitchen in her area.

That wasn't lost on me either.

Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?

do your servers pool tips? if so, do you have some form of system in place to compensate the one(s) who pull in more $$$?

Typically, no. When there's something like a wine dinner going on we'll usually put two waiters on it but everyone else knows they have to chip in and run food when the courses come out, then we'll pool. Otherwise, the guys who were primarily in charge of those tables would make way more jack than everyone else and for no good reason.

Jesus, who doesn't give a quick look at the bill? :wacko:

I tend to tip in the 15-20% range for good service. Unless there's a gratuity added onto the bill, in which case I won't pay one cent over the forced gratuity. Well, I might bump it up a little but the server has to knock my socks off.

Me :D I just look at the total, guess I should look at the whole bill.

Last Saturday for dinner our bill came to $91 and change, so I tipped $20, not sure if they added a tip on the bill.

So if they did add say 15-20% for a tip then I shouldn't of left anything? correct.

Me :wacko: I just look at the total, guess I should look at the whole bill.

Last Saturday for dinner our bill came to $91 and change, so I tipped $20, not sure if they added a tip on the bill.

So if they did add say 15-20% for a tip then I shouldn't of left anything? correct.

Correct. However, any waiter with scruples will be sure to remind you that service has been included when they hand you the bill. Then, if you want to add more, so be it. But at least you won't mistakenly do so.