[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New, more musclier Sam Bradford as first pick?

cre8tiff

Are the Rams really going to put off their QB position for ANOTHER year and take and pay ANOTHER defensive lineman in the first round? Bradford is going to eventually work his way into the Rams conversation. By draft time, they are going to be desperate to take him, and even more desperate to take him somewhere south of the first pick.

Dude looks YOLKED.

That being said, I'm a firm believer that a franchise QB can be had in the 3rd+ round. The Rams need so much in so many places, they should be smart about it and wait on a QB. Steven Jackson's wheels are damn near off the axles, and they probably don't have his heir in house yet. Also, it doesn't matter who the QB is with their current pass protection.

Dude looks YOLKED.

That being said, I'm a firm believer that a franchise QB can be had in the 3rd+ round. The Rams need so much in so many places, they should be smart about it and wait on a QB. Steven Jackson's wheels are damn near off the axles, and they probably don't have his heir in house yet. Also, it doesn't matter who the QB is with their current pass protection.

Other than Matt Schaub and Tony Romo, it has been since like 2000 where a successful QB came after the 2nd round. Two guys in 9 years, and even those two have combined for one playoff win. 15 of the top 20 returning QB's in terms of rating were drafted in the 1st or second round, and of the top 5 returning QB's, only Brees who was selected with the first pick of the 2nd round was not a first rounder. I'm not sure I can subscribe to that theory. Everybody wants to talk about how since teams found Brady or Hasselbeck in the 6th round, it is somehow commonplace. There have probably been 75+ QB's drafted after the 2nd round since 2001. One has been successful. One. You could logically dictate that any QB drafted after the 2nd round has at best a 1.3% chance of success.

Other than Matt Schaub and Tony Romo, it has been since like 2000 where a successful QB came after the 2nd round. Two guys in 9 years, and even those two have combined for one playoff win. 15 of the top 20 returning QB's in terms of rating were drafted in the 1st or second round, and of the top 5 returning QB's, only Brees who was selected with the first pick of the 2nd round was not a first rounder. I'm not sure I can subscribe to that theory. Everybody wants to talk about how since teams found Brady or Hasselbeck in the 6th round, it is somehow commonplace. There have probably been 75+ QB's drafted after the 2nd round since 2001. One has been successful. One. You could logically dictate that any QB drafted after the 2nd round has at best a 1.3% chance of success.

So you're saying there's a chance

I would be very, very, very, very SUHprised if the Rams move out of the 1st spot and even more SUHprised if they stay at 1 and take Bradford there

I wouldn't be surprised at all. In fact I agree with Schefter that the Rams stay there and take Bradford.

• 4 weeks later...
Bradford’s pro day workout leaves crowd in awe

Posted: March 29th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: Oklahoma Pro Day, Sam Bradford, Troy Aikman

Quarterback Sam Bradford proved himself to be a top draft pick with an impressive workout during Oklahoma's pro day.

NORMAN, Okla. — Sam Bradford’s workout Monday in front of representatives for all 32 NFL teams at Oklahoma’s pro day almost left me speechless. And that’s saying something.

Bradford threw 63 passes (13 during a stationary period and 50 scripted throws) during the workout and, in my estimation, didn’t have one that was uncatchable. He moved around well, including throwing on the run out of the pocket, and went through the entire route tree. The scripted workout included three-, five- and seven-step drops, shotgun, and play-action plays, plus sprints and rollouts to both sides.

It really was a treat to watch, and I think everyone here was in awe of Bradford’s performance. In fact, he put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California.

If Bradford is feeling the effects of his shoulder injury or is experiencing any weakness, there were no indications of that. He threw with velocity during the entire workout.

He officially measured in at 6-foot-5 and 236 pounds.

Terry Shea, a former college and NFL coach who’s working with Bradford as a quarterback consultant, told me they’ve been together for about eight weeks. Bradford has been throwing for a little more than four weeks since being cleared by doctors.

I would imagine that two weeks from now, Bradford’s arm will be even stronger than what we saw. And it was very strong Monday.

– Gil Brandt

Mayock is on Sirius NFL right now and is saying it's one of the strongest workouts he's seen in the past 6 years or so. Unless something wacky happens, it looks like he'll be #1 and getting $40m guaranteed.

while you are right, you still have to consider the fact that there are QB's drafted within the past 3 years and haven't had a chance to shine...

Whitehurst and Kolb are two of these guys that were not drafted in the 1st round...also Matt Moore is apparently getting a shot unless the Panthers are trying to get McNabb...

I think Kolb was even a mid 2nd round pick...but after the 1st round, it's pretty much a blur when it comes to QB's..

That being said, I'm a firm believer that a franchise QB can be had in the 3rd+ round. The Rams need so much in so many places, they should be smart about it and wait on a QB. . . . Also, it doesn't matter who the QB is with their current pass protection.

Dude, are you from Detroit? I must have heard this 3,000 times before last years draft.

In any event, if the Rams believe that Bradford is a "franchise" QB, they have to pick him, without hestitation. You got to roll dem bones in that situation.

Good for Bradford. I'm about the farthest thing from an Oklahoma fan, and I even kind of like the kid. I mean, I didn't agree with him staying in college another year (as in I wouldn't have done it) but it was a gutsy call and he lived with it. I never really heard him complain or feel sorry for himself. To be honest, if Stafford can be the 1st taken last year I don't see why Bradford couldn't be this year.

I just hope Detroit takes the right DT if Suh and McCoy fall to them.

Edited by Square

I hope the rams take Bradford. They need a QB and he seems legit to me :wacko: .

Besides, I'm loving the idea of Suh in Honolulu Blue. :D

Don't count on it. They might take McCoy instead. And no, it's not a stupid move necessarily. They aren't very far apart at all.

Been saying for months STL would/should take a QB. Y'all don't listen. :D