[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Washer/Dryer

matt770

Our dryer sucks and we're going to be looking at a new W/D soon. I know there have been a lot of advances since the last time I shopped -- any features I should look for that are must-haves? Which is better, top-load or front-load washer? Any consensus best brand?

We bought a set of Samsung W&D in July. Looked at LG, the Duets, and the Samsungs and the Samsungs had the best consumer ratings and we got a killer deal at Lowe's. They seem to work very well and are very quiet. I don't actually know how to use them, but my wife likes them. There are plenty of tax credits and rebates available for Energy Star appliances.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

I was told you can pack them as full as possible as long as the door stays closed. Seems to clean well and have had our LG's for 7+ years, had a sensor go out on the washer last year and was less than $100 to replace.

A buddy of mine owns an appliance and tv store. He recommended the Whirlpool Duet, so we bought one about a year or 18 months ago. My wife does her massage therapist's sheets for a message once a week, so she does about 30 sets of sheets on top of what she does for our laundry. We've only had one problem and that was with the lent filter, the one we had was defective and it was replaced free of charge.

My wife and I also have Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer. I think ours are actually the Duet Sport models and we have them on the pedastals that raise them up to a more comfortable height and give us a drawer for storage underneath. I echo what the others have stated about them getting the clothes clean, and using less water/detergent. My only real complaint is that the washer twists my clothes into knots that would make a boy scout blush. More often then not, I have to untangle the sleeves of the shirts and legs of the pants as I try to get them out of the washer and into the dryer. Frustrating :D

Also, the dryer(even on low setting) gets the clothes so hot you can barely stand to touch them if you stop it mid-cycle and take something out. I am thinking I may actually call to make sure this is not just a thermo problem with mine but I'd be curious if anyone else thinks they(Whirlpool Duet) get excessively hot? :wacko:

We researched the Whirlpool duets and they seemed a good value. The Cabrio and bravia or something similar top loader were nice. But we finally settled on the Electrolux front loaders.

I would recommend LG front-loading.

Yup.

Far cleaner clothing, easier loading, clothing not smashed to bits by that primitive agitator thingy.

Yup.

and far greater energy/water efficiency.

And yup.

We have the LG front-loader and it's a beast. Quiet and efficient.

The front-loader, ultra-expensive dryer, though, I think is unnecessary. Dryers pretty much... uh.. dry. We got the badass LG and opted for a solid-but-basic Whirlpool dryer.

What is the advantage of the front loader?

More expensive :wacko: I will never get the love for front loaders. I have used and it didn't clean clothes any better, and didn't see how loading/unloading was significantly easier; getting them out of a top-loader isn't exactly hard. Long term I can't speak to better wear n tear on clothes. Seems to me that the dryer (esp with higher heats) beats them up more, but again can't say.

Anyway FWIW I bought a Whirlpool top loader and dryer a year ago, course it's new and only been a year but (knock on wood) works fine, and they are pretty basic models. And I know people love to get wrapped up in this but from what I gather the diff's between brands is pretty small.

Edited by BeeR