[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peppers to visit Chicago, per Schefter

budlitebrad

Let's hope the hugh contract will motivate him to realize his full potential underachieve even more.

On a related note, GB did not get a deal done with Clifton prior to the start of FA.

I really do hope Chicago blows a ton of money on Peppers, Taylor and Malamamalamlamalaona.

I don't think any of those moves will close the gap between them and the Packers/Vikings.

Well, I think the TE signing will probably free them up to trade Olsen and get a decent pick in the draft. IIRC Martz never really utilizes TEs that much so it seems to make sense. Since the Bears don't have many picks it makes sense for them to throw some money at FAs. Peppers makes as good of fit as anybody so I think it's a solid deal (they seriously need some pass rush). I agree that nothing makes them instantly the equal of two solid playoff teams from last year BUT let's not confuse past production with future success. Many teams look great one year only to be hungover the next. You vike/pack fans might want to wait a couple seconds before claiming the thrown.

Bears need to spend... they need O-line help, WR help, RB help (let's face it, Forte sucks), DB help and D-line help,

They need OL, DL and DB help. I'll ride with the rest, they suffered from an inability to block last year more than anything - especially their OL.

I totally agree. Chris Williams looked decent at left tackle late last year, and Kreutz is solid as center. The other three positions...eewwwwww. I don't even know who the right tackle is.

It's nice to see the Bears doing something in free agency for a change, but all these signings seem like holy-crap-if-the-team-doesn't-get-better-in-2010-we're-all-going-to-get-fired moves by Jerry Angelo.

I could be wrong but Peppers IMO is going to be a huge bust in relation to the money they are paying him.40 mil in the first three years!!!!!!That is just totally insane and this signing may go down as one of the worst in NFL history.

I could be wrong but Peppers IMO is going to be a huge bust in relation to the money they are paying him.40 mil in the first three years!!!!!!That is just totally insane and this signing may go down as one of the worst in NFL history.

Actually Javon Walker is the biggest FA bust...

But I agree, that's wayyy too much for a 30 year old DE.

What did you expect them to do? A coach that is backed into a corner, a GM that was given enough $$ to make a splash, and they have no first day draft picks. They just had a guy die on them who was counted on to replace Ogunleye.

Did you want them to get Kampman? Vanden Bosch? VB is the same age and just stole money from the Lions.

So, he can take some relief off the others on the DL. That's what is really needed here.

Pricey? Yes.

The act of a desperate coach/front office? Perhaps

Needed to get better? Absolutely.

But how much is guaranteed? If the guy totally stinks it up, they'll cut bait. Worth the gable with the uncertain NFL future. The Bears need to get better and win now, and this move will help them do that.

Edited by gilthorp

But I agree, that's wayyy too much for a 30 year old DE.

Agree, but also see the rationale pontificated upon by Gilthorp where Chicago is just going for some short term success, since they can't rebuild through the draft.

Read a really good historical breakdown on DEs a few years ago that convincingly established how 30 year old pass rushers fall off a cliff faster and at a higher rate than 30 year-old RBs. There have been maybe 3-4 DE's that have been effective from the 30-33 age range and we are talking HOF guys like Sapp, Strahan (can't remember the other 2-3).......

I wish I could find that article. It was from a Seattle beat guy subsequent to the Patrick Kerney signing prior to 2007. Kerney went 14.5, 5, and 5 sacks from 2007 to 09 respectively.

ETA: Simeon Rice was another guy who bucked the trend.

Edited by bushwacked

What did you expect them to do? A coach that is backed into a corner, a GM that was given enough $$ to make a splash, and they have no first day draft picks. They just had a guy die on them who was counted on to replace Ogunleye.

Did you want them to get Kampman? Vanden Bosch? VB is the same age and just stole money from the Lions.

So, he can take some relief off the others on the DL. That's what is really needed here.

Pricey? Yes.

The act of a desperate coach/front office? Perhaps

Needed to get better? Absolutely.

But how much is guaranteed? If the guy totally stinks it up, they'll cut bait. Worth the gable with the uncertain NFL future. The Bears need to get better and win now, and this move will help them do that.

If I was the bears I would have paid 20% less to get Kampman, who is an everydown player and invest in that poor o-line and horrible secondary with the savings.

The Bears are a LOT farther than a one or two player fix away from the Super Bowl . . . all that money could have bought some significant depth at areas of huge concern instead of putting all the eggs in one basket with Peppers.

You don't understand. Significant depth for which coach? The one after Lovie?

This staff is not interested in building the bottom of their roster. The are trying to save their ass now.

As a fan, I applaud them going for it.

Now, as far as your comment about "one or two players away from the Super Bowl"...you just never know who is going to make it each year...I don't see Minnesota being stronger this year than last year....I don't see Arizona stronger now...these are two teams that were in the NFC Championship the last 2 years.

IF this guy can relieve some pressure on the DLine, that's such a significant improvement and will make this D a potential force again.

Economics aside, this is a very strong move for the short term. Period.

You don't understand. Significant depth for which coach? The one after Lovie?

This staff is not interested in building the bottom of their roster. The are trying to save their ass now.

As a fan, I applaud them going for it.

Now, as far as your comment about "one or two players away from the Super Bowl"...you just never know who is going to make it each year...I don't see Minnesota being stronger this year than last year....I don't see Arizona stronger now...these are two teams that were in the NFC Championship the last 2 years.

IF this guy can relieve some pressure on the DLine, that's such a significant improvement and will make this D a potential force again.

Economics aside, this is a very strong move for the short term. Period.

Actually I am quite sure that the owners (who ARE around longer than Lovie) would have to authorize how much money they can spend in an uncapped year, right? Do you think they only care about a short term fix or a continued growth? Gil . . do you think the defensive backfield needs help? How about the O-line to protect that expensive QB and new RB?

My point is why throw all your eggs in one expensive basket when there are glaring weaknesses on both sides of the ball too? :wacko: If the Bears start throwing MORE money out there for CB/S help and o-line help, I will def agree with you. If they just shot their wad the first day on 3 guys, I dont know if that was the best allocation of assets. This is tougher to immediately judge because no one really knows how much more they will spend, which was predictable when the cap was in play . . .

DB's are in pretty good shape IMO, as long as the DL gets better pressure, in turn, they will be better.

OL was coming around once they moved Pace out and Williams to the left side. This is a true statement.

Your point still misses the essential piece of the game being won on the line, and with Peppers, who was the best that was out there, and a glaring need, he should take pressure off Harris, maybe free up Brown, and since the D is a classic Tampa 2, which is dedicated to pressure from the first 4 for it to work correctly, this was an excellent short term move that could save the GM and HC's jobs.

Personally, I would like to see the GM and the HC go, so I'm calling it like I see it.

Give me 3 other assets that would have been better.

DB's are in pretty good shape IMO, as long as the DL gets better pressure, in turn, they will be better.

OL was coming around once they moved Pace out and Williams to the left side. This is a true statement.

Your point still misses the essential piece of the game being won on the line, and with Peppers, who was the best that was out there, and a glaring need, he should take pressure off Harris, maybe free up Brown, and since the D is a classic Tampa 2, which is dedicated to pressure from the first 4 for it to work correctly, this was an excellent short term move that could save the GM and HC's jobs.

Personally, I would like to see the GM and the HC go, so I'm calling it like I see it.

Give me 3 other assets that would have been better.

DBs are actually pretty damn poor . . which is why they brought in Rolle for a visit. The safety position has potential with Afalava . . but tha is it. vasher isnt what he was, and Tillman is having some major confidence issues. cant see how you think they are Ok . . esp in a division with the Packers/Vikes and megatron . .

Williams did well, but who will play RT? Schafer? Omilaye? Cmon man. . . . . Everyone was bemoaning Forte lastyear, but he got hit a LOT in the backfield. Add in Martz's offense tends to give up a lot of sacks, and I do not see Oline as a strength with Martz's offense. If Williams stays injury-free at LT I will upgrade them slightly . .

Harris is an injury mess. It doesnt matter who plays next too if he cant stay healthy. Peppers is a great upgrade, no doubt . ..my point CONTINUES to be why break the bank on one guy when this team needs a lot more help?

I would think for this team VandenBosch/ Samari Rolle would have been better than Peppers :wacko: Guaranteed money would have been about equivalent, no?

DBs are actually pretty damn poor . . which is why they brought in Rolle for a visit. The safety position has potential with Afalava . . but tha is it. vasher isnt what he was, and Tillman is having some major confidence issues. cant see how you think they are Ok . . esp in a division with the Packers/Vikes and megatron . .

Williams did well, but who will play RT? Schafer? Omilaye? Cmon man. . . . . Everyone was bemoaning Forte lastyear, but he got hit a LOT in the backfield. Add in Martz's offense tends to give up a lot of sacks, and I do not see Oline as a strength with Martz's offense. If Williams stays injury-free at LT I will upgrade them slightly . .

Harris is an injury mess. It doesnt matter who plays next too if he cant stay healthy. Peppers is a great upgrade, no doubt . ..my point CONTINUES to be why break the bank on one guy when this team needs a lot more help?

I would think for this team VandenBosch/ Samari Rolle would have been better than Peppers :wacko: Guaranteed money would have been about equivalent, no?

not that I totally agree with either one of you, but I think you're missing Gil's point.

The NFC North, on paper, got a lot tougher. At the same time, Peppers has to live up to his hype, and Martz has to figure out how to get Cutler to make smarter throws and cut down on his INT's.

If I'm a Bears fan, I'd be very happy with the moves, as this was essentially there draft.

But im not.

As a packers fan, I cringe at the thought of seeing Jared Allen/Julius Peppers 4x a year, at the same time the Bears look similar to the Dan Snyder free spending Redskins, and we know how that usually turns out.

Either way it solidifies the NFC North, and will make the divisional games more fun to watch.