[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seneca Wallace a Brown

loaf

I need to look into this a bit before going out and really weighing in on the topic but if Holmgren wanted him there he is going to want him to play in Cleveland as well. I really do not think Wallace is the answer as a short term or long term solution. Will be interesting to see what ends up happening in Cleveland.

I need to look into this a bit before going out and really weighing in on the topic but if Holmgren wanted him there he is going to want him to play in Cleveland as well. I really do not think Wallace is the answer as a short term or long term solution. Will be interesting to see what ends up happening in Cleveland.

I haven't read anything of this aquisition yet, but I honestly would't think that Holmgren would be getting Wallace for the starting position. Wallace is a career backup, but a solid one. Not like Carr! I just don't see him as a valid starter for a whaling browns

Let the Derek Anderson derby commence!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/359441-...-to-brady-quinn

I wonder what the new unis for the Cleveland SeaJets will look like?

The guy who wrote that article had never heard of Seneca Wallace before?

I haven't read anything of this aquisition yet, but I honestly would't think that Holmgren would be getting Wallace for the starting position. Wallace is a career backup, but a solid one. Not like Carr! I just don't see him as a valid starter for a whaling browns

Wallace won't come in and start at QB - he's just a veteran guy that knows Holmgrem's system and can help the younger guys like Quinn grasp it quicker.

He also brings a lot of speed to the QB position. Holmgrem used to split him out wide (he actually caught a pass in the Super Bowl) to create confusion for the defense, before the days of Wildcat. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see some trickery with Cribbs and Wallace on the field at the same time.

Just a new GM bringing some of his guys in to set the tone and help rebuild.

I love the move personally.

Edited by kpholmes

Agreed - Wallace is just a decent backup and nothing more. And that is a good thing to have. Not like Wallace is going to hold out for money ever or demand a starting job.

Are the Browns even running Holmgren's offense?

Just a sidenote...don't expect Seneca to play ANY WR in Cleveland. Holmgren did it for the Super Bowl, but was incredibly reluctant about playing Seneca out wide. Holmgren was determined to make him a QB. He would always practice a little at WR but never get in the games. The media here used to ride and ride Holmgren about it. All we ever heard was Seneca is "the best athlete on the team", yet we never ever tried to use that athleticism except the one catch in the Super Bowl. Fast forward to 2008. The Seahawks WR's are dropping like flies. Burleson is out, Branch is out, Engram was out, Logan Payne was out, Obomanu was out. Holmgren finally bites the bullet and is going to give Seneca a big role at WR. The very first game of this experiment, Seneca gets hurt in warmups and can't be the backup QB. Hasselbeck ends up getting hurt that game, so Holmgren is stuck with the Charlie Frye disaster for 2 weeks as his starting QB. Holmgren was talking to himself for weeks. He was so mad that he let himself risk his backup QB to play WR. There is no way he would ever let that happen again.

I kind of disagree on him not playing as the starting QB in Cleveland if you ask me. He has some experience doing it and Holmgren needs to have someone to mentor either Quinn or a drafted player. I am sure he is quite fine with riding Wallace for a few minutes to get someone used to being the man there. Holmgren has proven in the past that he will go out and get what he wants at the QB position I see this as being no different.

I kind of disagree on him not playing as the starting QB in Cleveland if you ask me. He has some experience doing it and Holmgren needs to have someone to mentor either Quinn or a drafted player. I am sure he is quite fine with riding Wallace for a few minutes to get someone used to being the man there. Holmgren has proven in the past that he will go out and get what he wants at the QB position I see this as being no different.

I also wouldn't dismiss Wallace as a potential starter in Cleveland. In his two previous stops, Holmgren's pattern has been to trade for a QB in the first year. Both ended up as the starter (Favre and Hasselbeck). Why can't Wallace be the next Hasselbeck? He's more accomplished than Hass was coming out of GB. Plus Wallace has a huge edge over Quinn since he knows the system.

I also wouldn't dismiss Wallace as a potential starter in Cleveland. In his two previous stops, Holmgren's pattern has been to trade for a QB in the first year. Both ended up as the starter (Favre and Hasselbeck). Why can't Wallace be the next Hasselbeck? He's more accomplished than Hass was coming out of GB. Plus Wallace has a huge edge over Quinn since he knows the system.

Wallace is not a starting qb. He was barely an adequate backup last year when he filled in for Hassellbeck. I guess Holmgren likes him but if he's starting, the browns will be in trouble.

Wallace is not a starting qb. He was barely an adequate backup last year when he filled in for Hassellbeck. I guess Holmgren likes him but if he's starting, the browns will be in trouble.

I'm not sure Wallace could be much worse than Quinn.

And I don't understand the "knows the system" thoughts. Holmgren isn't running the team or the offense, he's just the GM

Why can't Wallace be the next Hasselbeck?

Hasselbeck was an unknown commodity with zero starts coming out of Green Bay. Seneca has had 14 starts over the last 4 seasons and he has clearly proven he is nothing more than a capable backup. If he had a shot at becoming the next Hasselbeck, he would still be in Seattle, playing behind the soon to be 35 year old starter, awaiting his opportunity.

The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson wrote to the paper. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them.

Play better, bitter man.

I don't condone cheering when someone's injured but someone needs the waaaambulance

I'm not sure Wallace could be much worse than Quinn.

And I don't understand the "knows the system" thoughts. Holmgren isn't running the team or the offense, he's just the GM

According to this, Holmy is planning to implement the WCO in Cleveland from the get-go.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...he_tools_a.html

Imagine Wallace and Cribbs on the same field.

Seahawk fans wanted Wallace as something more than a backup QB for 7 seasons. Holmgren thought he was too valuable rather than risk injury being Slash or doing Wildcat formation stuff. Seems like his value as a QB is higher in Cleveland than it ever was behind Hasselbeck.

I think it's will probably be one of those minor trades that probably benefits both teams. Wallace's development was done in Seattle and they might be able to get a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

Don't get delusional on me now. Seneca is NOT a starting QB talent. He can be okay in stretches as a game manager, but is not capable of making plays down the field. I literally don't know that he has ever made one. That said, he is better than Derek Anderson, who at this point is almost Jamarcus Russell type bad. Between Wallace, Delhomme and Quinn, don't you have to give Quinn another shot? Any chance they draft Claussen if available?

Quinn didn't have anywhere near a fair shot to win the job. He hasn't even had the equivelent of one season under his belt ie starting and more than a few great QBs started out worse. But as they say, new regimes (GM, HC) often mean new QBs unless you already have a good one so Quinn is SOL. Who knows maybe he'll be a career backup, but if I were - oh say the Colts :wacko: - I'd jump all over him on the cheap as such a backup, assuming he would be pretty cheap tho, not sure just where that would fall.

Edited by BeeR