[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tomlinson

Outshined

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd welcome him. I don't care what players do off the field. If they play hard and win us games, bring um in!

i'm at the point where what players do off the field makes all the difference to me.

i'm tired of cheering for the uniform. i only want players of character on the Chargers.

good riddance to players like Antonio Cromartie. guy has a world of talent and a two cent head.

Antoine Cason may not have his natural ability but hopefully he's a team player and someone his teammates want to go to battle with.

i'm at the point where what players do off the field makes all the difference to me.

i'm tired of cheering for the uniform. i only want players of character on the Chargers.

good riddance to players like Antonio Cromartie. guy has a world of talent and a two cent head.

Antoine Cason may not have his natural ability but hopefully he's a team player and someone his teammates want to go to battle with.

+1

I couldn't agree more.

LT and the Jets

AP

Does new Jets RB LaDainian Tomlinson have any explosiveness left?

Let me start by saying I’m not a Jets hater. In fact, I loved their draft last year and wrote glowingly about their decision to not only draft a legitimate quarterback in Mark Sanchez but a very talented running back in Shonn Greene. And I have nothing against LaDainian Tomlinson; in fact, had he signed with any other team, I would feel the same way about signing an older back. I just do not see an explosive player any longer, and the fact the Jets cashed in a 1,400-yard back to sign LT makes this move strange.

Here’s the reason for my reluctance to believe that older running backs can return to their once-great form: When I was with the Browns, we signed Joe Morris, the former Giant who was on the downside of his career. Morris came to Cleveland and looked amazing. He was explosive, fast and powerful -- in the offseason. But once the contact started, he was not the same back who had been great with the Giants. He no longer had the ability to break tackles with his lower body. He no longer had bounce in his step or explosive movement. As the season went along, the worse he became.

I learned a valuable lesson — never trust an older back in the offseason. The evaluation in the offseason is the not the same that will happen during the season. They may look great (or is it that they just look fresh?) when the season starts, but once the pounding begins, there’s very little ability to recover. And it always goes from bad to worse to unplayable.

This is what makes me worry about LT, who is no longer the same player he was for the Chargers years ago. Tomlinson’s decision to come to the Big Apple makes sense from his standpoint since he doesn’t have to learn a new offense. He’ll have the same runs that he’s had his whole career and will not have to adjust his game. Yet the Jets’ decision to base their trust in LT regaining his old form has me skeptical. They better hope Greene can stay healthy or that they know more about LT regaining his old form than the Chargers.

we've certainly discussed the value of old backs on these boards before :wacko:

LT and the Jets

AP

Does new Jets RB LaDainian Tomlinson have any explosiveness left?

Let me start by saying I’m not a Jets hater. In fact, I loved their draft last year and wrote glowingly about their decision to not only draft a legitimate quarterback in Mark Sanchez but a very talented running back in Shonn Greene. And I have nothing against LaDainian Tomlinson; in fact, had he signed with any other team, I would feel the same way about signing an older back. I just do not see an explosive player any longer, and the fact the Jets cashed in a 1,400-yard back to sign LT makes this move strange.

Here’s the reason for my reluctance to believe that older running backs can return to their once-great form: When I was with the Browns, we signed Joe Morris, the former Giant who was on the downside of his career. Morris came to Cleveland and looked amazing. He was explosive, fast and powerful -- in the offseason. But once the contact started, he was not the same back who had been great with the Giants. He no longer had the ability to break tackles with his lower body. He no longer had bounce in his step or explosive movement. As the season went along, the worse he became.

I learned a valuable lesson — never trust an older back in the offseason. The evaluation in the offseason is the not the same that will happen during the season. They may look great (or is it that they just look fresh?) when the season starts, but once the pounding begins, there’s very little ability to recover. And it always goes from bad to worse to unplayable.

This is what makes me worry about LT, who is no longer the same player he was for the Chargers years ago. Tomlinson’s decision to come to the Big Apple makes sense from his standpoint since he doesn’t have to learn a new offense. He’ll have the same runs that he’s had his whole career and will not have to adjust his game. Yet the Jets’ decision to base their trust in LT regaining his old form has me skeptical. They better hope Greene can stay healthy or that they know more about LT regaining his old form than the Chargers.

we've certainly discussed the value of old backs on these boards before :wacko:

Interesting article. Who's the author?