[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mushrooms

gbpfan1231

Recently went to Brett Favres steakhouse and had mushrooms as a side with my steak. They were some of the best shrooms I ever had. They were done in a red wine sauce but have no idea what else made them so good.

Anyone have a recipe or any guesses on how to make some awesome shrooms in a red wine sauce? I am guessing there were tons of butter and would probably be shocked if I ever knew exactly how much.

TIA

i cant help with a recipe but can say I love all types of mushrooms...something the others might ask is what kind of mushrooms you had...loves me some shatakes(my fist spelling got his hard by the filter) are awesome and so are portabellos

Edited by keggerz

love mushrooms. an easy saute is red wine, garlic, shallot, thyme. mix up your mushrooms: crimini, oyster, chanterelle, morel, shi take, trumpetts, maytake.

chanterelles can have an apricot aroma to them so you might want to sub in a riesling or muscat to play off of those notes.

Edited by Bier Meister

I know Bier is a mushroom fanatic so I'm sure he'll have some good ones. I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but I've got a couple of tasty things to do with them. I'll post them up after my liver recovers from the next four days of Basketball, Bourbon and Barbecue.

love mushrooms. an easy saute is red wine, garlic, shallot, thyme. mix up your mushrooms: crimini, oyster, chanterelle, morel, shi take, trumpetts, maytake.

chanterelles can have an apricot aroma to them so you might want to sub in a riesling or muscat to play off of those notes.

Come out to the Willamette Valley sometime and hit the Joel Palmer Restaurant. They serve a meal called "mushroom madness" - 7 courses, all involving mushrooms. Chef Chris Czarnecki took over the business from his dad, Jack (world-renowned mushroom hunter) about 4 years ago, although every time we're there, Jack is still around and usually in the kitchen.

No butter? The only "liquid" is the red wine? How much wine do you use?

No butter? The only "liquid" is the red wine? How much wine do you use?

no, no, no ............

saute mushrooms in whole butter. add garlic, shallots, and thyme.. just sweat them for a couple of minutes. add red wine. reduce until au sec (almost dry).

edit: season with s&p to taste.

Edited by Bier Meister

no, no, no ............

saute mushrooms in whole butter. add garlic, shallots, and thyme.. just sweat them for a couple of minutes. add red wine. reduce until au sec (almost dry).

edit: season with s&p to taste.

I am sure I am asking a dumb question but how much wine? If you cook until almost dry then the amount of wine you add would make a big difference wouldn't it?

I am sure I am asking a dumb question but how much wine? If you cook until almost dry then the amount of wine you add would make a big difference wouldn't it?

ok.....

for side dishes:

8 oz mushrooms

1 tbs of minced garlic

1 tbs of minced shallot

1 tsp chopped thyme

about 1/3 c red wine

how much butter?

OK OK - was it that bad to ask how much wine? I tried making shrroms with wine the other day and I used 1/2 cup and it seemed like it took too long to reduce the wine.

I do tend to use recipes exactly as written so I guess I deserve the ribbing. :wacko:

OK OK - was it that bad to ask how much wine? I tried making shrroms with wine the other day and I used 1/2 cup and it seemed like it took too long to reduce the wine.

I do tend to use recipes exactly as written so I guess I deserve the ribbing. :wacko:

I was actually making fun of Bier. (The fact that you thought I was mocking you is an unexpected bonus.) :D

how much butter?

Better yet, what do you do with the left over shallot? 1 Tbs is about half on one of those puppies, or less if you get one of those weird double ones.

how much butter?

about 2 oz...... mushrooms absorb the fat pretty quickly. can also use oil for this, but i prefer the flavor and texture of butter.

Better yet, what do you do with the left over shallot? 1 Tbs is about half on one of those puppies, or less if you get one of those weird double ones.

i throw them into a little zip lock... good likelihood i'll use them again with in a day or two

OK OK - was it that bad to ask how much wine? I tried making shrooms with wine the other day and I used 1/2 cup and it seemed like it took too long to reduce the wine.

depends on the amount of mushrooms. also..you will get different flavors based on the wine used. i used to do a seasonal bruschetta trio and did a marsala reduction.

Remember, mushrooms are pretty much like sponges....they'll absorb anything you cook them with. I've made the mistake of marinating them, but what Bier has here is the real deal. Also know that they have a ton of moisture in them and when they cook, they release it. Careful, if you're an amateur like me, don't oversoak them with wine...a little butter, some onions/garlic, bueno.

Remember, mushrooms are pretty much like sponges....they'll absorb anything you cook them with. I've made the mistake of marinating them, but what Bier has here is the real deal. Also know that they have a ton of moisture in them and when they cook, they release it. Careful, if you're an amateur like me, don't oversoak them with wine...a little butter, some onions/garlic, bueno.

I have read similar comments - they absorb anything you cook them with but also they release moisture when you cook them - seems contradictory. Yes I am an amateur and I will just have to keep trying until I figure these little guys out.

I have read similar comments - they absorb anything you cook them with but also they release moisture when you cook them - seems contradictory. Yes I am an amateur and I will just have to keep trying until I figure these little guys out.

That is exactly what happens in that order. In the first couple of minutes of cooking, anything liquid in the pan is absorbed by them. In fact it almost seems weird how all the liquid in the pan disappears. Then suddenly, they start giving it back up. However, they will give up a lot of moisture in addition to the liquid they absorbed. Any flavorings that were in the original liquid, such as garlic or onions, will tend to stay trapped in the mushrooms themselves.

After a 3 month hiatus, the Portland Farmer's Market started back up last Saturday. As you might be able to guess in our wet climate, mushrooms are huge up here. In the past two weekends, I've come home with bags of morels, matsukes, chantrelles, and maitakes (which may be my favorite). I'm making some mushroom stock today and mushroom risotto tomorrow night!