[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charlie Whitehurst nearly a Seahawk

Medal of Honor

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seah...ie_whitehu.html

A lot of people are thinking that 4th rounder the Hawks got for Tapp will be used to trade for Whitehurst, but as Danny O'Neil points out, backup quarterbacks can be picked up for much cheaper.

UPDATE

Seahawks trade their 2nd round pick (40) and 3rd round 2011 pick

FOR

Chargers 2nd round pick (60) and Charlie Whitehurst

Seahawks will sign Whitehurst to an $8 million contract with another $2 million in incentives.

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

Edited by Medal of Honor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN's John Clayton reports that the Seahawks have obtained Whitehurst, a restricted free agent, from the Chargers. Seattle will move down 20 picks in the second round of the 2010 draft and give up a third-round pick in 2011 to get San Diego's third-string quarterback.

Can we now safely assume that tackle will be their pick at #6 even if Bradford or Clausen drop to them? I mean they're already paying a guy who's never thrown a pass in the regular season $5m/year, so does it make sense to add a top 10 rookie contract on top of that?

Good God. Hawks swapped their 40th pick for Chargers 60th, and also gave next years 3rd round. :wacko:

That's a decent amount. That and the 2 yr 10 M contract tells me he's the guy of the future. I guess the question is when that will be. I would guess they give Hass 1 more year?

Well, Pete Carroll has definitely had a habit of making QBs look good at USC, wonder if he can work his magic in the NFL. Maybe he sees something in Whitehurst and thinks he can deliver the goods. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a decent fantasy option by 2012.

Well, Pete Carroll has definitely had a habit of making QBs look good at USC, wonder if he can work his magic in the NFL. Maybe he sees something in Whitehurst and thinks he can deliver the goods. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a decent fantasy option by 2012.

I'd be surprised. In fact, I'd think that the end of the world is upon us.

The one thing I'll say is that if you are skilled in the draft, the difference between the 40th pick and the 60th pick CAN be negligible. It's possible the Seahawks have already got an idea as to who they were going to take in the 2nd round and are confident he will be available by pick 60.

I mean there are many 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders that end up being studs, and then there are plenty of Brady Quinns and Ryan Leafs that don't. So who's to say that the swap in the 2nd round is a bad deal? I'm less worried about that than throwing away our 3rd round pick next year.

Sorry, but who is Charlie Whitehurst and why is he a big deal right now?

I've been more than a little out of the loop...

He was the QB at Clemson and was widely considered the best QB in the ACC his senior year. Which is basically the same as being taller than weigie.

Originally he was a 3rd-round draft choice. As a restricted free agent, the Seahawks could have traded him straight-up for their 3rd-round choice this year, but they didn't have one. So they had to make a "trade that San Diego would agree to." It's a nightmare.

That doesn't sound like good news for hass owners. Carroll will probably want to get "his guy" in there sooner than later.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. First off, that the only people who own Hass are in dynasty leagues. Even in a deep keeper league where you keep 6, he's not going to be on someone's roster.

Further, even among those dynasty leagues, anyone counting on Hass for anything at all has major issues at the QB position. Unless, I suppose, it's a 20+ team dynasty, which is just way to gnarly to comprehend.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. First off, that the only people who own Hass are in dynasty leagues. Even in a deep keeper league where you keep 6, he's not going to be on someone's roster.

Further, even among those dynasty leagues, anyone counting on Hass for anything at all has major issues at the QB position. Unless, I suppose, it's a 20+ team dynasty, which is just way to gnarly to comprehend.

This is the middle of the offseason, I guarantee you 75% of the people reading your posts right now are in dynasty leagues.

I would assume most dynasty teams have him as a QB2, or as their starter for the past year or two while they wait for younger guys like VY/Flacco/Cassel

Obviously with his injury those guys pass him up numbers wise, but you get the point.

This is the middle of the offseason, I guarantee you 75% of the people reading your posts right now are in dynasty leagues.

I would assume most dynasty teams have him as a QB2, or as their starter for the past year or two while they wait for younger guys like VY/Flacco/Cassel

Obviously with his injury those guys pass him up numbers wise, but you get the point.

No, I guess I don't. First off, there's a lot of guys here talking about the actual game of football, not just their dynasty roster, so I'm going to have to take a pass on your 75% number. Regardless.

So, basically what you're saying is that he was likely a back-up before and most certainly is now that he's gotten hurt. I mean, in a re-draft league, where's he ranked going into next year even if he was the unquestioned starter? 20? I think that's pretty generous, actually considering he was a "decent QB2 prior to his injury". So, dynasty or no, isn't #20 pretty much where these guys become completely the same? That is, guys you hold your nose, throw in, and hope for the best? So again, if this affects your team because you've got Hass on it, I'd really hope for your sake that it means, at worst, you need to go shopping for a new back-up QB. That was really all I was saying.