[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charlie Whitehurst nearly a Seahawk

Medal of Honor

For the record I am here talking about the actual game of football. I don't play in a Dynasty league so until my draft day in August I don't really care too much about the fantasy implications. I'm more worried about what teams are getting good/getting crappy in the offseason. As a Seahawks fan I am dismayed... :wacko:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it works out, it was a tremendous steal. I just am not glaringly optimistic. I would have much rather seen Bradford or Claussen. Word is that we're getting a 3rd rounder in return as well in next year's draft. Still, we gave up a lot for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL. At least when we got Hasselbeck it was for a late-round pick. I'm gonna reserve judgement until I watch him play, but I'm not exactly dancing in the streets.

No, I guess I don't. First off, there's a lot of guys here talking about the actual game of football, not just their dynasty roster, so I'm going to have to take a pass on your 75% number. Regardless.

So, basically what you're saying is that he was likely a back-up before and most certainly is now that he's gotten hurt. I mean, in a re-draft league, where's he ranked going into next year even if he was the unquestioned starter? 20? I think that's pretty generous, actually considering he was a "decent QB2 prior to his injury". So, dynasty or no, isn't #20 pretty much where these guys become completely the same? That is, guys you hold your nose, throw in, and hope for the best? So again, if this affects your team because you've got Hass on it, I'd really hope for your sake that it means, at worst, you need to go shopping for a new back-up QB. That was really all I was saying.

First of all, I don't know why you felt it necessary to include cynicism in your post. I'm not insulting you, so calm down.

I'm not saying the only thing we talk about here is fantasy football. I would say during the offseason especially, we talk more general football than anything else, I'm a fairly large contributor to these "guys here talking about the actual game of football."

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you seemed to be dismissing conversation about his fantasy implications because you felt he had no value anyways: "anyone counting on Hass for anything at all has major issues at the QB position" And the only people who would even care are in dynasty leagues - and shouldn't care because he sucks anyways. Now, I will stick by my estimate that close to 75% of the daily posters during the off season are in dynasty leagues, so even though you think he's got nothing left to offer fantasy teams, some people here do care to determine his value.

I'm personally very open to a conversation about his fantasy implications this year. I feel like if he can come back healthy, he can sit in that starting job and put up pretty decent numbers - making him a great "buy low" candidate going into the draft for Dynasty leagues, and a great QB2 selection in redraft that you can get very, very late. Obviously he isn't a Peyton/Rodgers/Brees by any means, but I don't think Garrard/Orton numbers with upside are out of the question, putting him between 10-15.

For the record I am here talking about the actual game of football. I don't play in a Dynasty league so until my draft day in August I don't really care too much about the fantasy implications. I'm more worried about what teams are getting good/getting crappy in the offseason. As a Seahawks fan I am dismayed... :wacko:

Ehh... The Whitehurst trade really isn't THAT extreme.

Obviously this coaching staff, and reportedly the AZ coaching staff, saw something they really liked in the kid and felt like he could be a big assett to this team. Carrol has a notorious eye for talent, so I don't know where all the concern is coming from. Not to mention it's not uncommon for a new coaching regime to go out and get "their guy" to start things over with. It's no secret Matt is getting old and his playing days are numbered. Why not move down 20 spots and give a 3rd to get the next franchise QB instead of wasting a 1st or 2nd on one in the draft?

This guy has played behind a stud QB and has learned from on of the best offensive coordinators (Norv) in the game right now. He would undoubtedly be the #2 QB if Billy Volek, the NFL's best QB2 of the past decade, weren't also on the same roster. Yeah, he tore up a weak conference in college ball and played in the scary spread offense - but he's been learning in the NFL for the past few seasons from a very successful offensive team. That's a much more impressive resume than any of these kids coming out into the draft and will be asking for 8+ Mil a year plus signing bonuses can offer.

If I were you, the only mistake I'd worry about this coaching staff making would be leaving Aaron Curry at SLB. What a waste of talent.

If it works out, it was a tremendous steal. I just am not glaringly optimistic. I would have much rather seen Bradford or Claussen.

You might yet. Although I suspect both are gone by then (to STL and CLE or WAS is my guess).

Now ESPN is scrolling that Seattle receives a 2010 3rd Round pick as part of the deal. This would make a lot more sense. :crossingfingers:

I have not seen that in anything I've read.

You might yet. Although I suspect both are gone by then (to STL and CLE or WAS is my guess).

No way. Not after paying Whitehurst near starter money. I think they made this move to concede that they will officially not be drafting a QB. WIth what they gave up and paid Whitehurst, he is going to get an opportunity to play before they add more big money to the position. I'd like to think it could still happen, but they just paid themselves out of that possibility IMO.

First of all, I don't know why you felt it necessary to include cynicism in your post. I'm not insulting you, so calm down.

I'm not saying the only thing we talk about here is fantasy football. I would say during the offseason especially, we talk more general football than anything else, I'm a fairly large contributor to these "guys here talking about the actual game of football."

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you seemed to be dismissing conversation about his fantasy implications because you felt he had no value anyways: "anyone counting on Hass for anything at all has major issues at the QB position" And the only people who would even care are in dynasty leagues - and shouldn't care because he sucks anyways. Now, I will stick by my estimate that close to 75% of the daily posters during the off season are in dynasty leagues, so even though you think he's got nothing left to offer fantasy teams, some people here do care to determine his value.

I'm personally very open to a conversation about his fantasy implications this year. I feel like if he can come back healthy, he can sit in that starting job and put up pretty decent numbers - making him a great "buy low" candidate going into the draft for Dynasty leagues, and a great QB2 selection in redraft that you can get very, very late. Obviously he isn't a Peyton/Rodgers/Brees by any means, but I don't think Garrard/Orton numbers with upside are out of the question, putting him between 10-15.

Obviously this coaching staff, and reportedly the AZ coaching staff, saw something they really liked in the kid and felt like he could be a big assett to this team. Carrol has a notorious eye for talent, so I don't know where all the concern is coming from. Not to mention it's not uncommon for a new coaching regime to go out and get "their guy" to start things over with. It's no secret Matt is getting old and his playing days are numbered. Why not move down 20 spots and give a 3rd to get the next franchise QB instead of wasting a 1st or 2nd on one in the draft?

This guy has played behind a stud QB and has learned from on of the best offensive coordinators (Norv) in the game right now. He would undoubtedly be the #2 QB if Billy Volek, the NFL's best QB2 of the past decade, weren't also on the same roster. Yeah, he tore up a weak conference in college ball and played in the scary spread offense - but he's been learning in the NFL for the past few seasons from a very successful offensive team. That's a much more impressive resume than any of these kids coming out into the draft and will be asking for 8+ Mil a year plus signing bonuses can offer.

If I were you, the only mistake I'd worry about this coaching staff making would be leaving Aaron Curry at SLB. What a waste of talent.

A few points here. Anybody who thinks Hasselbeck still has top 10-15 potential hasn't seen him play at all the past two seasons. With that line? Without a running game? With those receivers? NO CHANCE. Top 20? Highly doubtful. In a dynasty league, there are 30-35 higher rated QB's. If you are in a league with 16 teams or less, and he is on your roster, he shouldn't be.

I also strongly disagree in the number of people here in dynasty leagues. Most of us aren't here looking for fantasy football dynasty information. We're here because we've been here for a long time and enjoy the banter. A poll might be in order?

And my parting shot.... what position would you propose Curry should play? He'd be a beast in the middle, but the Hawks already have Hawthorne and Tatupu. Please don't tell me weakside.

If CLE drafts a quarterback I'll be more surprised than I even was about this trade. Holmgren is running the show there, and now he has "his guy" in Senecca Wallace, and a vet in Delhomme (yes crappy, but still a vet who knows the game). I think that team has got holes EVERYWHERE, so to think they'd spend any draft picks on QBs would be high speculation. They need some defense, they are going to go DL or DE, maybe a DB. Scratch that - they just need playmakers.

You know, Pete is a defensive mind. I wouldn't be shocked at all if that changed...

And Seahawks21, I think he was suggesting AC play MLB. Even though Tatupu is PC's guy, he may not keep that job... AC is a complete monster, and I think that with a little more leadership ability he could play the hell out of MLB.

But honestly, I sort of like the linebacking corps the way they are, I just wish that Lofa would have played better before his injury.

Edited by Medal of Honor

A few points here. Anybody who thinks Hasselbeck still has top 10-15 potential hasn't seen him play at all the past two seasons. With that line? Without a running game? With those receivers? NO CHANCE. Top 20? Highly doubtful. In a dynasty league, there are 30-35 higher rated QB's. If you are in a league with 16 teams or less, and he is on your roster, he shouldn't be.

I also strongly disagree in the number of people here in dynasty leagues. Most of us aren't here looking for fantasy football dynasty information. We're here because we've been here for a long time and enjoy the banter. A poll might be in order?

This.

You know, I thought about this trade overnight (looking for the positive). I think I feel better about it today.

John Schneider said yesterday that they consider Whitehurst a part of their draft class. That actually made a lot of sense to me. They basically compared Charlie to Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, Tebow, etc. They stuck Charlie in that group and decided that he was the best of them all, save for MAYBE Bradford and Clausen. But they'd have to drop a #1 pick to get either of them, and Charlie's skills are comparable.

So they basically used a 3rd round pick to draft a QB that they think gives them just as good a chance to win as Bradford (who they probably didn't have a shot at) and Clausen (who they may not have had a chance at). Now they can use that 6 and 14 pick for two of the many other positions they need to fill.

We've all been saying for months how deep a draft this is, but how shallow the QB class is this year. The QB talent just isn't what it has been in past drafts. PC and JS realized this and made a move to get a QB who not only will outperform this year's draft class, but is much cheaper.

Meanwhile, Whitehurst has already been in the NFL for 4 years and is still quite young in QB years. He's learned from two of the best in the business - Norv Turner and Phillip Rivers.

We can only assume from the things that Pete Carrol has said that he will be implementing an offense that thrives on a mobile quarterback, which Whitehurst is. In their press conference yesterday it sounded very much like Hasselbeck has a shot at losing the starting job THIS YEAR, injury or not. This is Pete's guy.

Like many have said before - if this works out, it was the steal of the year. I now like the deal.

Obviously this coaching staff, and reportedly the AZ coaching staff, saw something they really liked in the kid and felt like he could be a big asset to this team. Carrol has a notorious eye for talent, so I don't know where all the concern is coming from. Not to mention it's not uncommon for a new coaching regime to go out and get "their guy" to start things over with. It's no secret Matt is getting old and his playing days are numbered. Why not move down 20 spots and give a 3rd to get the next franchise QB instead of wasting a 1st or 2nd on one in the draft?

You know, I thought about this trade overnight (looking for the positive). I think I feel better about it today.

John Schneider said yesterday that they consider Whitehurst a part of their draft class. That actually made a lot of sense to me. They basically compared Charlie to Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, Tebow, etc. They stuck Charlie in that group and decided that he was the best of them all, save for MAYBE Bradford and Clausen. But they'd have to drop a #1 pick to get either of them, and Charlie's skills are comparable.

So they basically used a 3rd round pick to draft a QB that they think gives them just as good a chance to win as Bradford (who they probably didn't have a shot at) and Clausen (who they may not have had a chance at). Now they can use that 6 and 14 pick for two of the many other positions they need to fill.

We've all been saying for months how deep a draft this is, but how shallow the QB class is this year. The QB talent just isn't what it has been in past drafts. PC and JS realized this and made a move to get a QB who not only will outperform this year's draft class, but is much cheaper.

Meanwhile, Whitehurst has already been in the NFL for 4 years and is still quite young in QB years. He's learned from two of the best in the business - Norv Turner and Phillip Rivers.

We can only assume from the things that Pete Carrol has said that he will be implementing an offense that thrives on a mobile quarterback, which Whitehurst is. In their press conference yesterday it sounded very much like Hasselbeck has a shot at losing the starting job THIS YEAR, injury or not. This is Pete's guy.

Like many have said before - if this works out, it was the steal of the year. I now like the deal.

:wacko:

I'm saying I agree with you now, after sleeping on it. I just re-stated my feelings in my own words (which happen to match many points you made). Grats?

im glad you feel that way now. as a hawk fan im getting tired of people bashing PC and the front office for this move. it makes PERFECT sense for the hawks. personally i would rather have whitehurst (based on what ive seen) than ANY qb in this years class. and i LOVE only having to pay him 8 mil as opposed to 40 mil. you can bet PC has a couple more big moves up his sleave (most likely including marshall). go hawks

I for one am sorry to see him go. I know it is not always the best measure, but when does get the chance with the twos in pre-season games, he would shred coverages. He has a strong arm and has had great people to be around him to understand not only the game, but to know what The League is all about. It won't be as "large" to him and he will be able to better focus on game plan and preparation. I think it is a great deal for both teams!

Charlie is well liked and respected by his team mates and has been the guy generally helping Norv on the sideline on game day. This has given him a good feel for how a game is called and what to expect in certain situations.

He is also somewhat of a "heart throb" for the ladies in SD. He is a "pretty boy" that should be very popular at many levels with the community IF he establishes himself as a quality NFL starter.

I wish him nothing but the best! Good luck Seahawk fans!

ETA: Fixed an F'd up post from my Droid!

Edited by McBoog

On Monday I saw a headline on the ESPN rumor mill "Is Whitehurst the next Schaub??". I grabbed him on a dynasty team (I already have Ryan, Sanchez, and Kolb, so yeah, hoping that one of these guys will end up being a consistent stud). Yesterday I was hearing "dang, you beat me to him" from other owners in the league. Sounds like me might make decent tradebait afterall.....

If it works out, it was a tremendous steal. I just am not glaringly optimistic. I would have much rather seen Bradford or Claussen. Word is that we're getting a 3rd rounder in return as well in next year's draft. Still, we gave up a lot for a guy who has never thrown a pass in the NFL. At least when we got Hasselbeck it was for a late-round pick. I'm gonna reserve judgement until I watch him play, but I'm not exactly dancing in the streets.

Actually, the deal is the 2nd swap this year and the Chargers get their 3rd next year. Good luck. I hope it works out for both teams!

Whitehurst sucked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343

And the completion percentage only looks good because of dump off passes to CJ Spiller and screens.

What are you talking about? Whitehurst was at Texas and was a much better QB than Sims. He's never been given a chance to start except for preseason. He played at Texas with Ricky Williams when the entire offense was Williams run left, Williams run right. What does Spiller have to do with Whitehurst?

Edited by NAUgrad

What are you talking about? Whitehurst was at Texas and was a much better QB than Sims. He's never been given a chance to start except for preseason. He played at Texas with Ricky Williams when the entire offense was Williams run left, Williams run right. What does Spiller have to do with Whitehurst?

uh no, Whitehurst played his entire career at Clemson - Texas?

but you are right I don't think he ever played with CJ Spiller

There was an article in the UT today giving an opinion that the Seahawks got fleeced. Then again, what do you expect a San Diego journalist to say?

IMO, I think all this media coverage is because Whitehurst looks like Jesus. :wacko: