[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New OT Rule passed

keggerz

supposedly passed 28-4

I think this is how the rule works now:

If first team recvs ball and scores a TD the game is over....If the team that recvd the ball 1st only scores a FG then they kick off to the other team....if that team scores a TD the game is over...but if they only score a FG then the next team to score wins....99.9999% sure that is how it works now

EDIT: this is only for PLAYOFFS right now and not the reg. season

Edited by keggerz

Wasnt broke. Shouldnt have tried to fix it :wacko:

At least it's only for playoff games. I'm all in favor of something that extends a tight OT playoff game. But in general, this does sort of have a knee-jerk feel in response to the Vikes-Saints game...

At least it's only for playoff games. I'm all in favor of something that extends a tight OT playoff game. But in general, this does sort of have a knee-jerk feel in response to the Vikes-Saints game...

and the vikes were one of the 4 no votes

I don't like having different postseason overtime rules vs regular season overtime.

but in a sense you already do have a different rule....during the reg. season the game can end in a tie....in the post season it can't

A discussion for this rule is that the team receiving the kick winning the game had increased since the kickoff was moved to the 30-yard line. Seems that a fix could be moving the kickoff to the 35-yard line for overtime only. Another issue is that if a FG is kicked, the other team would be in automatic 4-down territory until they score or lose the game on downs or a turnover.

Edited by Big John

I disagree. Not in love with the solution though.

+1

I thought the rule, as it was, was a joke. Sure, you can say that 22 out of 27 times, both teams got the ball. To me, that means the other five times, one team got screwed. People can say that those teams "should have stopped the other team", or whatever... That argument doesn't hold water. If it did, you could use the same format (first to score wins) in baseball and basketball as well. After all, the other team "could have stopped them," right? I'm not buying it... the NFL needed to do something to fix what CAN be an unfair rule. The college format isn't perfect, but it made far more sense than what the NFL had in place. I look at this as progress, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out, when it actually comes into play.