[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb a Ram?

i_am_the_swammi

Clearing the air on the McNabb trade frenzy

Posted by Mike Florio on March 27, 2010 11:24 AM ET

Over the past few days, we've been sharing and reacting to the many reports regarding the status of Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, a process that was sparked when coach Andy Reid said on Tuesday that other teams are "entertaining us with offers" regarding McNabb. Several of the reports from others in the media are a bit inconsistent, to say the least.

Our only original reporting in this regard focused on the fact that a Rams source privately said there was "no truth" to the report of an imminent trade for McNabb, several hours before G.M. Billy Devaney went on the record with Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and said that the report was in fact "utterly ridiculous" and "absolutely false." (We also posted an uncorrborated tip that the Raiders were considering an offer of cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha for McNabb and cornerback Asante Samuel; the tip was partially corroborated by Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com.)

Now, we've got some more.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Eagles are receiving offers from teams that have not been identified publicly at the request of the teams making the offers. This is happening for two reasons: (1) some of the teams have incumbent starting quarterbacks who would be confused, to say the least, if they learned that McNabb could be joining the club; and (2) none of the teams want fans or the media to know that they are courting McNabb, in the event that they fail to land him.

This doesn't explain the fact that the Bills, Rams, and Raiders have been named as potential trade partners. According to the source, however, the Eagles have disclosed to no one the names of the teams with whom they are or aren't talking.

We initially believed that Jeff McLane's erroneous report that McNabb could be a Ram by the end of the week was the Eagles themselves, who were floating a phony rumor in the hopes of sending a "speak now or forever hold your piece/peace" vibe to other interested teams. Based on our source, McLane apparently had a different source.

It's possible that McLane's source was McNabb himself, or agent Fletcher Smith. (McLane's subsequent report that McNabb prefers playing for the Vikings suggests he has a pipeline into the McNabb camp.) This approach by McNabb would allow him to push the issue to a head without pulling a Jay Cutler and openly demanding a trade.

The McLane report isn't the only nugget that might not reflect reality. ESPN's Sal Paolantonio says that no one is willing to offer more than a third-round pick. But as our source pointed out, "Has he talked to every team and have they told him their offer?"

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that McNabb told coach Andy Reid that he preferred staying put to joining the Bills or the Raiders, and McNabb's agent thereafter said that McNabb has said nothing to the team. Though it's possible that the agent is speaking with a sporked tongue, the discrepancy has largely been ignored.

Finally, the Associated Press reported that the Eagles want the 42nd pick or higher in the 2010 draft. (And, of course, the AP report was taken as gospel truth because the AP has never been wrong.) Said the source, "Does anyone really believe the Eagles would pick such a random number and draw a line in the sand?" We're told that something higher than this reported threshold already has been offered. The source believes that the "42 or higher" requirement was leaked by one or more other teams in order to frame the value -- and possibly to create local pressure on the Eagles, many of whose fans generally are anxious, to say the least, to see McNabb get run out of town.

As we understand it, the Eagles have received a variety of offers, with draft picks only and players only and players and picks. We're told that the Eagles have never placed an asking price on McNabb. Instead, they're doing exactly what we reported in early March that they'd do -- sitting back and waiting for the offers to come and evaluating them at the appropriate time.

As we also understand it, the Eagles soon will review the proposals and decide whether to pursue any of them.

Though we'll continue to post reports from other folks who follow the NFL for a living, it's important to keep this broader context in mind. We'll try to do so; we encourage you to do the same.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are very few complete shut-down corners in the league. The value of these guys is tremendous. McNabb is a solid QB who is coming to the end of his career. If I were the Eagles and had an opportunity to do that trade, I wouldn't hesitate for a second, in fact, I would be celebrating the robbery that I just completed.

Not so fast...he is due $16M this year, and likely close to $20M next year if the Eagles would want to keep him.

Even without a cap, thats a lot of dough for any one player. There's a reason people thought Al Davis was crazy for giving him that much money, regardless of how freakishly good he is...I doubt the Eagles would do the same.

Not so fast...he is due $16M this year, and likely close to $20M next year if the Eagles would want to keep him.

Even without a cap, thats a lot of dough for any one player. There's a reason people thought Al Davis was crazy for giving him that much money, regardless of how freakishly good he is...I doubt the Eagles would do the same.

any chance the Eagles restructure and give him a long term deal as the #1 paid corner - if he isn't already?

:Paging Revis:

McNabb to the Rams never made a lick of sense. In fact I'm hard pressed to name one team it would make sense for offhand.

But the thought of Vick leading an otherwise talented Eagle team to any kind of glory is enough to bring on dry heaves.

McNabb to the Rams never made a lick of sense. In fact I'm hard pressed to name one team it would make sense for offhand.

But the thought of Vick leading an otherwise talented Eagle team to any kind of glory is enough to bring on dry heaves.

Agree completely. Eagles are kind of screwed.

In fact I'm hard pressed to name one team it would make sense for offhand.

Off the top of my head:

Cardinals? Vikings? Maybe Washington? Carolina? Pittsburgh (if Rothles is out for awhile), Jacksonville?

I think Mcnabb would improve any of those teams. All reasonable teams (not bottom barrel St. Louis / Oakland) that have a legit chance at being competitive in the next few years. :wacko:

Off the top of my head:

Cardinals? Vikings? Maybe Washington? Carolina? Pittsburgh (if Rothles is out for awhile), Jacksonville?

I think Mcnabb would improve any of those teams. All reasonable teams (not bottom barrel St. Louis / Oakland) that have a legit chance at being competitive in the next few years. :wacko:

AZ is the only of those that makes even a tiny bit of sense, or MIN if Favre retires (riiiiight) - and even those not really because he'll cost too much, trade-wise AND money-wise. And do I have to bring up his spotty health history?

I will laugh at any team stupid enough to make this move.

Off the top of my head:

Cardinals?

They say they're going with Leinart. Want to give 'em a year to see what he has. I suppose they could be lieing

Vikings?

Favre will be back. And if he's not, we won't know for a long time.

Maybe Washington?

No way he's traded within the division.

Carolina?

Seems like they're going with Moore.

Pittsburgh (if Rothles is out for awhile),

This will take a long time to play out

Jacksonville?

Not sure how unhappy they are with Garrard. I suppose there is an outside chance.

The possabilities are endless, really. There has been rumors of Denver, San Fran, Clev (not really valid rumors, but rumors none the less) and the fore mentioned.

I still think St. Lious is still an option. They need LOTSA help in many different catagories, which the draft will only cure a few. Sure, they could go with a Bradford, but they risk having a young QB that will be slaughtered. The smart thing to do is get an experianced QB, that can move and shore up their offensive and Defensive line in the draft.

Just my 2 pences!

The possabilities are endless, really. There has been rumors of Denver, San Fran, Clev (not really valid rumors, but rumors none the less) and the fore mentioned.

I still think St. Lious is still an option. They need LOTSA help in many different catagories, which the draft will only cure a few. Sure, they could go with a Bradford, but they risk having a young QB that will be slaughtered. The smart thing to do is get an experianced QB, that can move and shore up their offensive and Defensive line in the draft.

Just my 2 pences!

You shoulda bought a gum ball.

Herm Edwards said on ESPN that the 9ers should trade a 2 for McNabb and one of their 1sts for Marshall. McNabb, Gore ,Marshall, Crabtree, Davis.... hard to argue with that one for me.

That is a fantasy-football wet dream....and a hell of an offense. In fact, it would be the best offense Mcnabb has ever played in.

Cardinals?

They say they're going with Leinart. Want to give 'em a year to see what he has. I suppose they could be lieing

Vikings?

Favre will be back. And if he's not, we won't know for a long time.

Maybe Washington?

No way he's traded within the division.

Carolina?

Seems like they're going with Moore.

Pittsburgh (if Rothles is out for awhile),

This will take a long time to play out

Jacksonville?

Not sure how unhappy they are with Garrard. I suppose there is an outside chance.

Those were just off the top of my head and I didn't say they were probable. Just ideas. I'm not going to say it is likely but I could see it making sense depending on the trade & numbers. The eagles have been getting younger at a lot of spots so they have to decide if QB is one of the places they want to deal. If I were Carolina or Jacksonville and especially Arizona, I'd consider trading a top 42 pick for him.

I am here to say that I was wrong about them trading McNabb....I think getting 2.5(37th overall) and a 3rd or 4th is good value but not what I would call getting blown away which is why I am shocked/surprised to see them deal him...especially within the division. I sure hope that Kolb is ready.