[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Egads...

evil_gop_liars

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I just got back from KFC and had the Double Down. Here's my review:

Visual - As with most foods, it looks better in the commercial. Golden brown and crispy looking on TV. . .it was just kinda pale and floppy in person. However, it is about the same size in person as it looks in the commercial. You can't say that about the Whopper or Big Mac, both of which are much smaller when you get them at the restaurant.

Flavor - The chicken is actually moist and flavorful (for fast food chicken). I'm guessing it's shot up with some sort of brine solution at the processing plant to make it this way. The cheese food product isn't bad either. The bacon ain't no thick cut apple wood smoked bacon. Pretty bland as bacon goes.

Texture - This is where the points really come off. The breading was just poorly done. Not much flavor, soggy, just bad. If they could make the breading crispy and flavorful it would have made the sandwich worlds better. Also, no surprise, the overall product was pretty greasy. I like greasy fast food, but this was a little excessive.

Value - The sandwich by itself is $5.30. The combo is $7.50. $7.50 at Taco Bell will feed you for about a half a week. While it's pretty filling, I think it's a bit overpriced.

Final grade - C. Don't think I'll be having another one any time soon, but I'm glad I tried it as a life experience.

OK so I just got back from KFC and had the Double Down. Here's my review:

Visual - As with most foods, it looks better in the commercial. Golden brown and crispy looking on TV. . .it was just kinda pale and floppy in person. However, it is about the same size in person as it looks in the commercial. You can't say that about the Whopper or Big Mac, both of which are much smaller when you get them at the restaurant.

Flavor - The chicken is actually moist and flavorful (for fast food chicken). I'm guessing it's shot up with some sort of brine solution at the processing plant to make it this way. The cheese food product isn't bad either. The bacon ain't no thick cut apple wood smoked bacon. Pretty bland as bacon goes.

Texture - This is where the points really come off. The breading was just poorly done. Not much flavor, soggy, just bad. If they could make the breading crispy and flavorful it would have made the sandwich worlds better. Also, no surprise, the overall product was pretty greasy. I like greasy fast food, but this was a little excessive.

Value - The sandwich by itself is $5.30. The combo is $7.50. $7.50 at Taco Bell will feed you for about a half a week. While it's pretty filling, I think it's a bit overpriced.

Final grade - C. Don't think I'll be having another one any time soon, but I'm glad I tried it as a life experience.

Thanks for jumping on the grenade. Based on your review & the price, I'll not be trying this anytime soon.

Edited by buddahj

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I did the double down . . . honestly, for as much as everyone is joking about exploded arteries, there are fewer calories and less fat in the Double Down than in a fast food double cheeseburger, or specialty big burger like Whopper/Angus 1/3rd/Wendy's Double.

Sheik was spot-on with his review, the chicken was much more moist and tender than I expected, but the frying/breading was too soggy and greasy. Even with the included wrapper/pocket thing, I found eating it mechanically difficult. I'd try the grilled version--but it doesn't save you much in the way of calories, and I can't believe that Kentucky Grilled Chicken is an improvement over the Colonel's original recipe.

Peace

policy

• 2 weeks later...