[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams cut Bulger...

Shorttynaz

"The St. Louis Rams released quarterback Marc Bulger on Monday, perhaps clearing the way for them to take Sam Bradford with the first pick of the draft.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said in a release that it was difficult to make the move and wished the 33-year-old Bulger well. Last month the Rams signed A.J. Feeley, presumably as next year's backup on a team that was 1-15 in 2009.

"It is always hard to part ways with someone you care for and appreciate," Spagnuolo said. "I will always be indebted to him for his work ethic, character and leadership."

The Rams were among the teams impressed by Bradford's workout last week in Norman, Okla. Bradford, the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner, made a convincing case that he would make a complete recovery from shoulder surgery last October, completing all but one of 50 passes.

Bulger started eight games last season, but was sidelined the last six with a fractured left shin bone, finishing the year on injured reserve. Rookie Keith Null started the last four games, and veteran Kyle Boller also made four starts.

Bulger made 95 starts for St. Louis starting in 2002 and took the starting job from Kurt Warner in 2003, leading the Rams to a 12-4 record. He went to the Pro Bowl in 2004 and 2006, throwing for more than 4,000 yards in '06, but has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons.

In nine seasons, all with the Rams, he completed 62.1 percent of his passes for 22,814 yards, with 122 touchdowns and 93 interceptions. He signed a six-year, $65 million contract in training camp in 2007."

FOXSPORTS.COM

LINK

Bulger was due 8.5 mill this year...not really sure how much of a chip that would be since conventional wisdom was that the Rams are taking Bradford and that would precipitate cutting Bulger.....so I am sure that once negotiations start/started his people could feel pretty safe that they weren't going to hold Bulger over them....if anything they could have held the threat of dealing for McNabb over him but when he got dealt they lost that opportunity

After Sam Bradford's Pro Day workout, Marc Bulger asked to be released

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 2:04 PM ET

As it turns out, the Rams' decision to cut Marc Bulger came in direct response to a request from Bulger to have his freedom.

Per Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Bulger asked to be dumped after Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford drew rave reviews for his Pro Day workout.

It's unknown whether Bulger previously had asked to be cut. But it's not surprising that the Rams, who owed Bulger not a penny until the start of the regular season, opted to let him go now.

As we pointed out on Monday, Bulger and Bradford are represented by the same agency. So if the Rams are going to be negotiating a contract for Bradford with CAA at some point in the near future, it made sense for the Rams to curry some favor with CAA by giving Bulger what he wanted.

At this point, then, it's be a real surprise if the Rams don't select Bradford.

So Bradford gets thrown to the wolves straight out of the gate? Good luck, kid.

What the hell, baptism by fire. Hey he has a stud RB at least - and while I know they were bad, I have to wonder just how bad the OL and WRs really were given they had absolutely nothing at QB.

Edited by BeeR

What the hell, baptism by fire. Hey he has a stud RB at least - and while I know they were bad, I have to wonder just how bad the OL and WRs really were given they had absolutely nothing at QB.

The OL was not that bad by the end of the year, average really. If Smith comes back and continues to mature, they could be OK.